Not reality

Options
To me walking as a exercise costs nothing and with regards to paying for good food, all you have to do is stay away from processed food and soda. I was obese. Gave up soda and processed food. Now cook 90-85% of all my meals and I have lost 43 lbs in 5 months. No diet and moderate exercise- walking and stationary bike. Does not cost anything more than before...actually much less!!!

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Yes! I always wonder why people think it costs more to eat well. You end up eating less so it will at least cost the same. I went from spending about $250/mo to about $125 on groceries.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered why people seem to think this, as well. Less food = less money, right? I get that perhaps they're buying things that cost a little more individually but cooking those things yourself is still cheaper than buying the value menu items at the fast food places.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Eh, I think it's just another excuse for people who aren't really ready to commit. I've heard that same thing so many times, but you can't convince someone who is not open to change.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Either that or they only look at their grocery bill going up but not the restaurant bill going down. I definitely am saving by not eating out nearly as much.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I too am a testimony to the FACT that you can lose weight and it WILL cost less than "junk" or fast food. I have lost over 160 pounds since March 2012. My grocery bill is definitely less. I do not have a gym membership, but I do use the gym at work during the winter (Minnesota is dark and cold when I leave for work and when I get home from work) but the gym at work is free. I do hike/walk on weekends during the winter and every day when it is light enough outside. I cook almost everything we eat now, we rarely go out for a meal anymore. Excuses are just that. It truly can be done and for less money.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Is this a response to the thread wehre the lady wanted to lose some stones with government assistance for food and gym membership?
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Either that or they only look at their grocery bill going up but not the restaurant bill going down. I definitely am saving by not eating out nearly as much.
    I think you've got it. :)

• tdpierson
    Options
    I too am a testimony to the FACT that you can lose weight and it WILL cost less than "junk" or fast food. I have lost over 160 pounds since March 2012. My grocery bill is definitely less. I do not have a gym membership, but I do use the gym at work during the winter (Minnesota is dark and cold when I leave for work and when I get home from work) but the gym at work is free. I do hike/walk on weekends during the winter and every day when it is light enough outside. I cook almost everything we eat now, we rarely go out for a meal anymore. Excuses are just that. It truly can be done and for less money.

So true! I am in MN as well - a balmy 37 degrees right now. And you are are right on snowflake. It takes some adjustment and work but it can be done. I'm still going for my daily walk outdoors in this frigid cold. I bundle up and you can only see my eyes. But like you, I don't have a gym membership (thinking of it so I can add in some swimming this winter) but you have to make it fun. This weekend I'm going to shop for some ski pants or adult snow pants to make the outdoor walks warmer. It's all about using what you got and making it fun. Cheers to my MN peeps!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    #doingitright
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Whether it costs more or not depends entirely upon what you were eating before. I wasn't eating out before; so I didn't have restaurant bills going down. I ate a LOT of spaghetti, it is easy to cook for one person, dried noodles don't go bad sitting on the shelf, and it was tasty comfort food. There also isn't much cheaper than that. I ate a bunch of tortilla chips and salsa, but that was my meal, not a snack. Lunches were sandwiches, peanut butter & jelly or tuna fish. I would bake brownies and cupcakes - $0.99 for a box of mix some eggs and oil, again cheap. So, for me, it was a lot of cheap, tasty carbs that I was overeating. If you compare that with buying fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats - my bill did go up. If I had been eating out all the time I can see where it could cost less, but it depends on what people were eating before.