Put on 2 pounds within the first week of maintaining

Options
I'm aware that 2 pounds isn't much and I shouldn't be worrying quit yet, however I was just wondering weather a couple of pounds weight gain is normal within the first week of maintaining?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who go straight from deficit into maintenance do that. I'm told it's glycogen replacement. It is less likely to happen if you've eased into maintenance by going doing to half a pound a week first.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    More than likely your body is replenishing glycogen stores so it is just water weight, but your maintenance weight will be about +/- five pounds of your last weigh in before you started maintenance.

So if your last weight in was 150 then your maintenance weight will be 150 t0 1555 ..it is not fat, just water weight.

some people recommend cutting an additional 5 pounds below your goal weight to account for this. So in the above example you would cut to 145 pounds and then your maintenance weight range would be 145 to 150 ...

so the answer to your question is yes, this is normal.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've read that you should lose up to 5 lbs beyond what your goal weight is, because, like others have said, your body will replace its glycogen stores once you start eating at maintenance.
  • 00mid
    00mid Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    A lot of people who go straight from deficit into maintenance do that. I'm told it's glycogen replacement. It is less likely to happen if you've eased into maintenance by going doing to half a pound a week first.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    More than likely your body is replenishing glycogen stores so it is just water weight, but your maintenance weight will be about +/- five pounds of your last weigh in before you started maintenance.

So if your last weight in was 150 then your maintenance weight will be 150 t0 1555 ..it is not fat, just water weight.

some people recommend cutting an additional 5 pounds below your goal weight to account for this. So in the above example you would cut to 145 pounds and then your maintenance weight range would be 145 to 150 ...

so the answer to your question is yes, this is normal.

Is water weight visible or bad, is that extra 5 pounds 'proper weight gain'?

for example, if I was 4 pound under BMI before I started maintaining then I put on 5 pound water weight when I started maintaining would my BMI be overweight?
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    There are something like 13 lbs of water in your body at any one time, and it fluctuates. Don't fret.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Water weight is only visible or bad when its.... visible and bad. I'm not being sarcastic. I actually have an issue with retaining water. Most times it's not an issue but I've had spells where I've gained 20 pounds of water over a few days. My fingers get puffy, my ankles get huge and swollen... it's bad. If you aren't noticing any physical changes I wouldn't worry about it.
  • focusedonfitness2015
    Options
    My maintenance weight is a range, not a number. I fluctuate a few lbs each week. It doesnt affect how my clothes fit or the way I look and is only a number on the scale. If i'm up on Monday, I'm back down by Friday. Many factors contribute to it...water weight, what I ate, and other factors. Do what you did to get to maintenance and it will all even out
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If it's glycogen replenishment (it binds to water) then it's a good thing - it's your body's instant use energy.
    If could also be you have more food in your system from eating more and it will work its way out - ahem!!
    It could be a normal weight fluctuation.

Unless you ate 7000 calories extra it's not fat which I presume is what you are scared of?
    Give yourself 4 weeks and see the trend and not just the short term noise.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There are something like 13 lbs of water in your body at any one time, and it fluctuates. Don't fret.

Uhh, it's wayyyyyy more than 13 pounds. The average human is 65% water by weight. I weigh 200 pounds, that means 130 pounds of me is water. People often don't realize that lean body mass means everything in your body that isn't fat, and water is included in that. Most people always seem to think in just terms of "fat" or "muscle" in terms of body weight, when really there's a lot more to it than that.