How we view ourselves..

Options
It is kind of crazy how we tend to view ourselves. Prior to starting MFP I had been extremely weary of scales. In fact I do not think I had weighed myself in well over a year. I do not own a scale at home so I had to estimate my starting weight when I signed up here. In my mind I was being generous at my guess of 240 lbs. I thought I may be a little over that at the least. Well, I finally got to weigh myself when I went to visit my mom this weekend. Turns out I only weigh 214lbs. Sometimes we can get distorted in our thinking and I sure proved that right. Even though I am just getting started, to realize that I am not near as big as I have been imagining myself is a huge boost to my confidence and makes me even more determined to stick to this!

Replies

• erica2h
    erica2h Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree, I especially think us women are hard on ourselves.Start being positive and great results will happen!!:smile:
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I just made the comment to a family member this weekend that as hard as I have to work at getting healthy and losing weight - It pales in comparison to how hard it has been for me to lose my self consciousness. I still have a tendancy to think that I am not ready to do something (or wear something in this example). Fact was - that tank top looked GOOD on me... but I had a hard time letting myself see it that way. Feeling comfortable in my own skin again is slowly but surely coming back.

Changing my view of myself will be the longest road... but the most satisfying when I get to where I want to be : )
  • ayj73
    ayj73 Posts: 15
    Options
    I hear you! When I started out I was 224 pounds and could only shop at big girl stores. Now I have lost 47 pounds and a few sizes but I still think of myself as a big girl. I have seen a couple pictures of myself lately and it is surprising to me. Maybe seeing some pictures to compare old weight/new you would help you put your weight loss into perspective. I have been losing slowly but consistently and I am not mortified to be naked in front of a mirror anymore! I am happy that you have a new confidence! Stick with it and you will amaze yourself!
  • court428
    court428 Posts: 34
    Options
    What I am really impressed with is just how good I feel. I am only about 10 days into my new lifestyle, but I feel so good. My over estimation of my weight kind of messed me up because as of now I am not sure if or how much I have lost in weight. But I do feel phenomenal. I am gaining confidence, not avoiding mirrors and pictures, and I have so much good positive energy now. Yesterday was the only day that I did not go on a bike ride because I was exhausted, and I think that not biking was a bad idea. If I force myself to get out and exercise I quickly get over the exhaustion and gain energy.. But yesterday I was useless and started to get grumpy. As soon as I got back from my ride this morning I was ready to take on the world, well at least take on my housework and schoolwork ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!