shirataki noddles

Options
has anyone tried shirataki noodles?? ) 1 carb and 0 cals!!

Replies

• jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    what are they??? and where can i get them???
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    I have and I like them--but 1)don't be expecting a delicious bowl of normal pasta. That it is not. and 2) rinse and drain wel. 3) RINSE AND DRAIN WELL!! :) It smelly fishy if you don't!
  • jessebreanne
    Options
    I bought the miracle noodles. Once you wash them VERY WELL so they don't stink like old beach, they are edible but definitly not worth the $ spent ($5 per bag = 1 portion in Canada).
  • tnfoster77
    tnfoster77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    They were discussed on Dr Oz
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! ! think I wanna try them, i having a hard time avoiding the carbs!! :)
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sounds gross. What are they made from?
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Tofu and yam flour.

You really have to want quantity over quality, which I do sometimes. You get a huge bowl of noodles for 40 calories. However Ronzoni pasta they aren't.
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    they are good in theory... a noodle with no carbs. However, THEY ARE NASTY! I don't think enough rinsing can get rid of the fishy flavor. I guess they are worth a try if you are dying for a carb like substance.... good luck
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could get over the fishy flavor. If I want quanity, I would just eat a huge salad before eating some regular pasta.
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    Good to know. I was going to hit the Asian market this week for some....guess I will just skip and dream of yummy pasta.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i LOVE them. i eat them all the time <3
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

I eat those too, but the ones that I get are not 0 calories. They are 20 for 1/2 a package. Love them though. :bigsmile:
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options

I eat those too, but the ones that I get are not 0 calories. They are 20 for 1/2 a package. Love them though. :bigsmile:

agreed. the ones i eat are 20 calories a serving as well.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Eating them right now, in a nice spicey stir fry.

To me the remind me more of rice noodles then regular noodles. which is cool cause i love rice noodles
  • Jdo13
    Jdo13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have some texture issues with foods and found it difficult to adjust to the texture of these, its just a little different then regular noodles! Hungry Girl uses these in her recipes all the time.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options

hahahaha!!! i was thinking the same thing!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I didn't mind them, eating wise, I felt like they just soaked up the same flavor of what I cooked them.

My problem with them... they looked the same going in as they did coming out... if you catch my drift..... that was scary to look down and see those coming RIGHT back out HAHA!
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have tried similar noodles- 2 different brands, and I like them. One kind is more annoying to make, Sea Tangle Kelp noodles . . you have to cook them in a sauce until they aren't all hard and crunchy. Sometimes I have success, sometimes I can't figure out what I did wrong. I also tried "No Oodle", those are already soft. I also saw "Miracle Noodle" online and would like to try them if I see them in a store.

I like them all because I don't eat real pasta so it's just nice to have something to add to a dish just to make it seem like more food. It's also nice for a low carber to be able to think I'm eating real noodles. Some of them have no taste though, so you need to rely on your sauce or spices to add flavor, the "No Oodle" has absolutely no taste at all.

Oh someone said they are made form Tofu and Yam flour. Well, not all of them are made from that. Some brands are just made from a vegetable fiber or seaweed fiber. I don't eat anything made with soy or tofu myself, so I check the labels, always. Also, in some markets they are next to higher carb noodles that you could mistakenly pick up if you don't read the labels for all of them.
  • millygrl
    millygrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    They are okay... It is all about what you put on them. I had them for dinner tonight with a homemade tomato sauce and it was great. And you actually feel full after eating them. Just make sure you rinse them really well to get rid of the smell. I put a bit of lemon juice on them while they are still in the strainer just to cut through the fishy odor.
  • Kforest0714
    Kforest0714 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try Kelp Noodles...made from seaweed...they have no flavor alone,they take on the flavor of whatever dish...6 calories for 2oz.