My doctor's office scale is not my friend

Greetings.

My name is Shelby.

Both my parents are obese.

I started down that road in high school, some 15 years ago. I weighed about 175 lbs and the next pair of jeans I bought was going to have to be a size 16 (US). I could no longer pretend it was a few extra pounds. I started eating better, walking more, and lost about 30 lbs.

I am 5'8" and at my lowest weight I was 145 lbs.

I am now 185, according to my doctor's office. My "loose" jeans are uncomfortably tight and my "tight" jeans are painful.

I am scared of dieting, because of all the crazy diets my parents tried when I was a kid.

I'm going to try for real to get the weight off again.

Also, does anyone know why my jeans at this weight were a size 14 fifteen years ago and now they're a size 10? Has sizing changed that much??

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    I believe so... I'm a size 14, yet i actually have some clothes sizes 8 thru 12 that fit me perfectly. And they're not stretched... weird. :\
  • AprilLTaylor
    AprilLTaylor Posts: 4 Member
    I am right there with you. I'm 5'8" with obese parents and want to do something that will be more of a lifestyle change and not a get thin quick diet. I'm terrified because now that I've graduated I've begun to struggle with my weight as well. And yeah, I'm a size 10 and weigh 175. So I guess it is safe to assume the sizing has changed.
  • I put on a little weight after I graduated, but I really put on weight after I got married. My husband likes food, I like to cook for him, he likes snacks and sweet stuff, and so that's around the house more.

Fortunately he's very encouraging but not critical. He wants to change his eating too. He barely makes weight for the Army any more.

I want long term changes, too. I've been through every quack diet there is with my parents and I associate "dieting" with deprivation. I need to change that.