Weight problems

Options
Hello all. Let me just start by introducing myself so i've always been obese my whole life. I'm a guy 23 years old and i've been dieting off and on i'd stick with it for a month then give up.But now i'm dead serious my starting weight was 197 and now i'm in the range of 180-185. But lately i've been stuck at 185 and it's so frustrating. I've been doing Muay Thai for four times a week three hours in those sessions,and i've been drinking 5-8 glasses of water a day. It's so frustrating. Oh! And aside from the calorie number suggested by myfitnesspal,i also did a little research on how many calories i should eat and all gave me different values,I don't know which one to follow.If anyone wants to add me feel free i could use the help. Any help would be appreciated. My username here on this forums is also myfitnesspal name. Thank you!

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Congrats on what you have already accomplished! Use MFP's estimate and log your food (weigh and measure your food!) for a few weeks. Every day for a few weeks. If your weight doesn't go down try lowering your total calories. Also make sure you aren't over estimating your exercise burn. Most people only eat back 50-75% of what MFP says they burned.

Best of luck!

• mickeyzamora2014
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Congrats on what you have already accomplished! Use MFP's estimate and log your food (weigh and measure your food!) for a few weeks. Every day for a few weeks. If your weight doesn't go down try lowering your total calories. Also make sure you aren't over estimating your exercise burn. Most people only eat back 50-75% of what MFP says they burned.

Best of luck!

Thank you that means a lot. How do i make sure i'm not over estimating my exercise burn? The scale is really evil.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats so far

When you log your exercise, double click in the calorie box and half the value - it's a good starting point - you can then adjust up if you're losing too much weekly

Also consider incorporating a heavy lifting programme
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Thank you that means a lot. How do i make sure i'm not over estimating my exercise burn? The scale is really evil.

You can use MFP to enter your calories burned. If using that, just cut it in about half, as the general consensus is MFP estimates too high. Long term weight loss is a journey and will require tweaking along the way. So if you accurately log your food for a few weeks but aren't seeing the scale move, then you are probably over estimating your exercise burn and should decrease that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

You can use MFP to enter your calories burned. If using that, just cut it in about half, as the general consensus is MFP estimates too high. Long term weight loss is a journey and will require tweaking along the way. So if you accurately log your food for a few weeks but aren't seeing the scale move, then you are probably over estimating your exercise burn and should decrease that.

+1
  • mickeyzamora2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone feel free to add me in order to see how my journey is going.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Micky you have your age going for you. Some of us have yo yo'ed so many times with our weight it makes it hard to lose. Since you are reading on weight lose you may want to read the research link below another young guy who is into working out recently posted that helped me better to understand more of the biological factors we face to lose and keep it off long term. Keep up your good work.

jissn.com/content/11/1/7
  • mickeyzamora2014
    Options
    Micky you have your age going for you. Some of us have yo yo'ed so many times with our weight it makes it hard to lose. Since you are reading on weight lose you may want to read the research link below another young guy who is into working out recently posted that helped me better to understand more of the biological factors we face to lose and keep it off long term. Keep up your good work.

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

Thank you so much.This is why i love the myfitnesspal family :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

this link is in regards to athletes who are already at lean levels of body fat and almost certainly does not pertain to the OP.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The same message as esjones and the others, its about your deficit and actually being at one. You will see this advice being given repeatedly. How tall are you?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

this link is in regards to athletes who are already at lean levels of body fat and almost certainly does not pertain to the OP.

ana if you will read the article you will find it is about dieting for anyone.
    Ones hormones that permits our brain to control our weight are the same where we are lean 200 pound jocks or 400 pound couch potato.

The main point seems to me to be discussion the long term health harm from deficient dieting if not done right. The article was written about dieting in general to a group of young jocks.

Please do not post false statements like the dieting info does not apply to the OP. It applies to all humans breathing.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

Ones hormones that permits our brain to control our weight are the same where we are lean 200 pound jocks or 400 pound couch potato.

The main point seems to me to be discussion the long term health harm from deficient dieting if not done right. The article was written about dieting in general to a group of young jocks.

Please do not post false statements like the dieting info does not apply to the OP. It applies to all humans breathing.

Title of the article:
    Metabolic adaptation to weight loss: implications for the athlete

From the article's "limitations" section:
    " Accordingly, the current article is limited by the need to apply this data to an athletic population"

Others have already told you to stop posting this article in every thread because it generally does not apply to anyone you've posted it for.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

Title of the article:

" Accordingly, the current article is limited by the need to apply this data to an athletic population"

Others have already told you to stop posting this article in every thread because it generally does not apply to anyone you've posted it for.
    Yeah. Pretty much this right here.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

jissn.com/content/11/1/7

Title of the article:

Ana which of the below facts about calorie reduction dieting do you think do not apply to the general population?

"Results from a number of studies indicate a general endocrine response to hypocaloric diets (calorie deficit) that promotes increased hunger, reduces metabolic rate, and threatens the maintenance of lean mass.

Further, there is evidence to suggest that unfavorable changes in circulating hormone levels persist as subjects attempt to maintain a reduced body weight, even after the cessation of active weight loss.

Adaptive thermogenesis may help to partially explain the increasing difficulty experienced when weight loss plateaus despite low caloric intake, and the common propensity to regain weight after weight loss.

There is evidence to suggest that spontaneous physical activity, a component of NEAT, is decreased in energy restricted subjects, and may remain suppressed for some time after subjects return to ad libitum feeding [29]. Persistent suppression of NEAT may contribute to weight regain in the post-diet period.

In the context of weight loss or maintaining a reduced body weight, this process is complicated by the dynamic nature of energy expenditure. In response to weight loss, reductions in TDEE, BMR, EAT, NEAT, and TEF are observed. Due to adaptive thermogenesis, TDEE is lowered to an extent that exceeds the magnitude predicted by losses in body mass.

Further, research indicates that adaptive thermogenesis and decreased energy expenditure persist after the active weight loss period, even in subjects who have maintained a reduced body weight for over a year [14,48]. These changes serve to minimize the energy deficit, attenuate further loss of body mass, and promote weight regain in weight-reduced subjects.

In the context of energy restriction, the observed changes are likely to make weight loss increasingly challenging and promote weight regain.

In the period shortly after cessation of a restrictive diet, body mass often reverts toward pre-diet values [29,74,75]. This body mass is preferentially gained as fat mass, in a phenomenon known as post-starvation obesity [29].

Therefore, athletes who aggressively diet for a competitive season and rapidly regain weight may find it more challenging to achieve optimal body composition in subsequent seasons.

As these athletes create an energy deficit and achieve lower body fat levels, their weight loss efforts will be counteracted by a number of metabolic adaptations that may persist throughout weight maintenance.

Changes in energy expenditure, mitochondrial efficiency, and circulating hormone concentrations work in concert to attenuate further weight loss and promote the restoration of baseline body mass."

Source:
    jissn.com/content/11/1/7
  • mickeyzamora2014
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    The same message as esjones and the others, its about your deficit and actually being at one. You will see this advice being given repeatedly. How tall are you?

I'm 5'3 (Yes i know i'm short for my age,I got my mum's height)
  • mickeyzamora2014
    Options
    Hey guys! Just an update i'm now 182.8 down from 185 just a couple more to my goal weight of 125.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far, and best of luck to you the rest of the way.

A lot of people go by Total Daily Energy Expenditure instead. I've seen this calculator linked a few times before, it may help. http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Keep it going! Beside counting your calories, be sure to improve the quality of the food you're eating and be careful about how many calories you add/eat back from exercise.
  • mickeyzamora2014
    Options
    Thanks guys will keep you updated :)