How did tou get motivated again when it's been gone for a while

Options
I did really well last yr then in July I started suffering from anxiety attacks. Stopped going gym and have gained most of my weight back :-(. I have 14 wks to lose 1.5 stone as have my graduation ball. Is this achievable?

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Achievable - probably, but it will also probably be uncomfortable. It's 1.5lbs a week which is more than suggested for someone who is only trying to lose 21lbs... Also, given your past experience, if it was related to your going to the gym it, it might be advisable to take it slowly to ensure you don't have the same issues pop up again.
    - That being said, you can definitely lose a bit before then so it's worth starting either way!

(Forgot to answer your question: How did you get motivated again?) It took a lot more work, and still is... but I think it's more discipline than motivation. I WANT to be fit and run more than 3 miles and deadlift my body weight... I have a bit to go but I won't get there eating like crap and binge watching shows on Netflix. My workouts are not options: They will happen. Period. It's an appointment for myself I have to keep.
  • hjb85
    hjb85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thats totally achievable. Focus more on cutting calories rather than the gym if that isn't your thing. (Gyms intimidate me heaps!) Try going for walks or doing a fun group class once a week with a supportive friend.
  • mahatoor5
    mahatoor5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey! Ever heard of Insanity? I'm thinking of doing a round of it- I started but then like you I stopped bc.. life *dramatic lighting* but I want to start again and finish strong. There are incredible results from insanity and I bet you or me can get them. Hmu if you're interested, we can maybe motivate each other.
    - And how do I regain motivation? I don't. I just start... and I dread it. But then by the second or third week, it's not a burden anymore. Nike got it right here- Just do it.
  • Deps
    Deps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    +1 to mahatoor's post. I was in a similar situation to you and got stuck in a 'what's the point'? mindset when trying to start again. So I forced myself through the first week, then the second, about halfway through the third it became a habit again. Now I'm motivated just because it's my lifestyle again.

Best of luck to you!
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to My Fitness Pal but have done lots of different things to get motivated to lose weight. Recently I'm trying a new approach....I am logging my food everyday and just finished reading Jorge Cruise's book, The 100. It recommends a low sugar diet....no more than 100 calories a day....I'm following his 4 week plan and then will go to a regular maintenance plan. I"m in my high 40s (almost 49) so finding it harder to keep fat off my middle area. So, I'm thinking this program along with regular exercise will shake up my body to loose weight. I also have a mantra that Jorge recommended you use to keep you motivated....Mine is "Every new day is another chance to change your life." I really like this one.

Good luck.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Having an event to look good for is actually one way I remotivate myself. When I first started, I wanted to look good for a family vacation to Hawaii.

After the trip, I worked toward a fitness goal (I had a few 5ks and wanted to be able to actually run them).

Then I waned a little bit, but remotivated myself for my high school reunion last weekend.

Now, I'm on another fitness goal. I'm trying to actually complete P90X (I've started it more than once).

After that, I'll start running training for a new 5k season.

For me, "losing weight" is a great aim, but not a driving goal. I need smaller, more tangible goals to keep me going, so I'm constantly trying to set a new goal that's only a few months away. I also depend far more on developing good habits than relying solely on motivation. Making things a habit is very very important for success long term. But, when I do feel like giving up, having these small goals are what keeps me sticking to my new habits.