So fed up being let down by people :-(

Options
Sorry :-( RANT!!!!! I'm so fed up being let down by people!

I started pilling on pounds when my son (10 months at the time) has been diagnosed epileptic. At my heaviest I was 220lbs (5'3) He is 6 years old now and grew out of his ilness so I started looking after myself. Over time I lost 40lbs. I love riding my bike and I use gym a bit, classes mostly. I like weights and the only cardio is my bike outside in fresh air.

Over the time I get to know my gym owner Sue. She is a lot of talk but hardly any action. On her advice I sign up for gym instructor course -paid a lot of money for that, too. She promised me so many things! I was on cloud nine! She said she will teach me everything blah, blah, blah! Now I know she used me - b***h!!! She advertised that new member of staff will be joining her soon, who lost lots of weight and knows what's it all about (ME LOL) I supposed to have 20 hours of practical assesment by the end of January. She was a bit hessitant when she said yes, I'll sign it for you. I went to the gym today and she did 2 inductions!!! She could have rung me and that would be 2 hours for me done and dusted!!! I'm going this afternoon to find other places who will agree for me to do this and if I do I'll cancel my membership with her. I'm just crying huge tears at the moment! I feel soooo let down! The thing is I can really see myself doing this as my job for the rest of my life! I'd like to qualify for childrens activities next so I can help everyone find this horrible fight!

Sorry for this sad rant but I'm so down! I don't really know what I want from you just thought I get it out of my system lol Have a lovely day everyone! x

Replies

• karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Who can you trust 100% but yourself.. you have to be careful of promises from other people. She may have had good intentions or maybe she was just a good salesperson. I'd say lower your expectations and learn the lesson that people will let you down but you don't have to let yourself down. If you sign up for something maybe say in advance if this isn't followed thru with as promised I may ask for a refund, get it in writing what is agreed upon or get references in advance. Take control of the situation as best you can. I would say some thing to her about what was promised and what was given to you and see what she says. Ask her if she will follow thru.
  • baby_girl_ellie
    baby_girl_ellie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you and I agree with you :-) I feel a bit better now.

I just feel sad because she made me feel good about myself again at the time. I felt great that someone believed in me or so I thought x
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    You have a BUNCH of people that believe in you!!!!!!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Lots of people on here will believe in you. You sound like you already know what to do and just need to be some motivating friends that are doing the same thing. Feel free to add me.
  • baby_girl_ellie
    Options
    haha :blush: thank you both! you've made me smile :smiley:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    The most important person to believe in you is you.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    what a jerk. Im sorry that she is giving you the run around on the credits you need :(
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    If you signed up for training or a program, do you have a copy of the paperwork you signed? I'd look at it and see if you have any recourse. Otherwise, just keep working and reach the goals you set for yourself.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think your getting a bit too upset and shouldnt be. Look at it as a good thing, she has revealed herself to be potentially unreliable and might have shown you her true colours now rather than later. Its a bit of a crap shoot as to who has the upper hand, if you need her, then swallow your pride, smile and get the hours you want from her, in the meantime if you feel its needed, then find somewehere else. She could have simply forgotten I dont know her, but if she isnt willing to train you then find somewhere else.

As a trainer then you cna offer a unique perspective and people looking to lose weight will listen because you have lost the weight. Believe in yourself and just let it make you more determined to find an employer who will value your unique skillset. Keep up with the course and the weight loss and think about the kick you will get being good at your job. Good luck. Her loss.

ps missing 2hours of experience can easily be made up. You have 2 months.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATS on your weight loss and fitness goals! It's truly inspirational to hear that part of the story.

Second, is this the only gym in your area? I don't know anything about gym instructor courses, but can you get your work experience somewhere else?

Third, this woman sounds like a terrible employer. Start looking for other opportunities ASAP.

I don't blame you for being upset. But focus on your past achievements, not your present let-downs.

• MakingItGreat
    MakingItGreat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree that at least she has shown her true colors before you were completely tied to her. That moment where you believed in yourself and felt good about yourself, that's where you focus. You can do that for yourself and pursue your goals at some other gym! You have come a long way and you have a great goal, don't give up and try not to let someone else have so much power over your feelings. You get to choose how you feel, not her. We support you!!
  • baby_girl_ellie
    Options
    You are all right! Thank you so much everyone! You have really picked me up :-) I live in the middle of nowhere lol in the beautiful mountains :-) But I'm off now to find a gym that will accept me for who I am and will give me my practical hours I have to travel to the nearest gym about 20 miles but it will be all worth it in the end :-) lol Have a great day everyone and I'll update you tonight! xxx
  • chrissievet
    chrissievet Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm really confused... you're getting mad because she did two inductions without you - so mad you're going to just up and quit working with the person who inspired you to start this career??? Seems... um... a bit of an overreaction?! 20 hours by the end of january of practical experience is nothing, its not like you're going to be hard pressed to get those hours done. I just have to assume there's other stuff going on causing this reaction because if not its way over the top. In most industries, if you want to have the opportunities to learn and get experience, it needs to be you ringing her to see whats going on, not her ringing you... its your dream, you need to chase it, not her.