p90x nutrition plan??

dawnemjh
dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Hey there. WOndering if anyone doing the p90x can advise me on the nutrition plan? i just got the discs and am ready to start the 1st cycle. I have reviewed the diet and I fall into the 2400 calorie range which seems high to me. Do most people follow the nutrition plan? Is that the way to get the best results?? Do you have any good alternatives to the recovery drinks or protein shakes?? I still need to lose a few pounds and looking to tone up as well?
Thanks!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    oohhh I want to know too!!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I lost 27 pounds in 90 days using P90x and did not even follow the nutrition plan. If so I would have lost more weight. The high calorie is based on your level of physical activity. The plan really works. Bottom line I went from 233 to 183 using P90x.

Topsking2010
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    yep i lost 25lbs without the plan.i think most people who follow have even better results
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Hi!

I am heading into week 11 of P90X Lean (Phase 3, week 3) and I have gotten good results so far in terms of weight loss, strength and flexibility gains, as well as inches lost so far following a semblance of the nutrition plan. First, my situation. I started P90X at 217 pounds, down from 243 pounds doing mostly elliptical work. I had a 28% body fat and needed to shed fat before I could really worry about "the six pack". I fell into the phase 1 (fat shredder) range. I am now 199 pounds and have steadily lost about 1.8 pounds per week (goal is 2lb/wk).

I have not followed the nutrition plan to the letter, but I did go into MFP's goals and manually changed my macronutrients to 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat to match the percentages of the nutrition plan for P90X. I kept my MFP goals intact however in terms of calorie deficit and pound/week lost goals. I noticed that I have had one helluva time always hitting 50% on the protein, although I do routinely hit the rule of thumb of body builders (1g protein per lb of body weight), I almost always went over slightly on carbs, and almost always was under on the fat. I recently changed my ratios to 50%P, 35%C, and 15%F to allow me a few more carbs while maintaining a high protein content.

I plan on doing a classic round of P90X on starting on June 6th and plan on trying to follow the nutrition plan to the letter depending on what phase of the plan I fall under when I graduate the Lean program, including Shakeology and the P90X protein bars.

My body fat is steadily lowering, but I am at least another round of P90X before I really expect to see clear muscle definition, especially in the abs area, but the inches/pounds lost is telling me that I am shedding fat and not burning muscle and I am stronger than I have ever been, so I think what I am doing is working.

The best of luck to you in the journey and feel free to friend me if you want motivation...a good chunk of my MFP friends are fellow P90X peeps.
  • wooddie14
    wooddie14 Posts: 79 Member
    Just my 2 cents...if you have the time I would try the nutrition plan...if not just stick with MFP's recommended calorie intake for your goal. I have lost 30 lbs doing P90x (28 days to go) and did not follow the nutrition plan. I was thinking that it's going to take up so much time just trying to fit in the daily P90X workouts (at least 1-1.5 hours a day) with my family schedule then if I try to add more prep time for all this nutrition stuff it will really bog me down. I have been eating healthy though...no fast food, lot's of veggies, salads and chicken mostly. I do think I would have better results with diet but don't really have extra time. My time for food prep is spent cutting up veggies for salads, pre cooking some meats and making sure I have a good lunch to take to work. Maybe I should try the nutrition plan on my second round of P90X...we'll see. Good luck with your adventure!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Thank you all for the replies! It really helps! I tried yesterday to see how I would do following the plan, and I was surprised at how "full" i was by the end of the day and yet I still had to try to get in more protein and calories to meet the goal they set for me. I know they say that protein makes you feel full, but I never noticed as much as I did yestterday!! Its just hard to get in that much protein every day for me. (i need 160gms).
    I just felt like at the end of the day I still needed about 400 calories to meet my 2400 calorie goal and it seemed crazy to eat when I wasnt hungry! Glad to know the program will still work if I need to tweak the nutrition plan!!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    The nutrition plan is designed to build muscle and fuel your workouts so you can get the best possible 90 day results. Personally I, like you couldn't eat all that food and I don't believe in eating when your full. (that's what got me fat in the 1st place),
    Now keep in mind that lean muscle burns fat and that's what the program is doing. Building lean muscle and burning fat.
    Stick as close to the NP as you can...if you're a few hundred calories short everyday don't worry about it just keep on going.
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    The nutrition plan is designed to build muscle and fuel your workouts so you can get the best possible 90 day results. Personally I, like you couldn't eat all that food and I don't believe in eating when your full. (that's what got me fat in the 1st place),
    Now keep in mind that lean muscle burns fat and that's what the program is doing. Building lean muscle and burning fat.
    Stick as close to the NP as you can...if you're a few hundred calories short everyday don't worry about it just keep on going.

What he said. Totally.
  • HuskerD
    HuskerD Posts: 3 Member
    How do you manually change the percentages of protien, carbs & fat?
This discussion has been closed.