First Half Marathon in April couple questions

Options
I decided that since I'm nearing the end of my weight loss journey (another 6-9lbs to go, vanity lbs tbh) I wanted to sign up for my first half marathon. Right now I'm in pretty decent shape, I need to work on my pacing but I think that comes with time. I also contacted a local running club so I'm going to try a weekly run with them before I start an official training program.

These are my questions:

Right now I have a consistent work out schedule so I'm using the TDEE -% method, with the added mileage every week, does anyone do the TDEE method while training or do they switch back to the MFP plan of adding exercise and eating back the calories?

Based on my picture (and if you care to read my profile) I enjoy lifting. I've seen a couple programs where they incorporate strength training (Hal Higdon Novice 1 and Women's Running Couch to 1/2 Marathon) has anyone used these programs? I'm wondering if you go for your run that day then immediately strength train or if you maybe run in the morning then strength train after work or if it really doesn't matter how it's performed?

Also any other tips would be appreciated, I live in Upstate NY and the race will be in VT. I've performed a couple searches on MFP but I didn't see the above questions answered but I did get a lot of useful information from past posts.

Thanks!

Replies

• Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to ask me how my personal training has gone for half marathons.

I have found it is sometimes difficult to strength train and run half marathons at the same time. Imagine trying to do a long run or speedwork a few days after Legs Day! Not fun. In fact, I would say Legs Day is the biggest limiting factor to training for a half marathon. As far as whether to run first THEN weightlift on the same day, I would say I prefer to run first.

I used a tailored half marathon program you can find on RunnerWorld.Com called SMARTCOACH, where you enter your current fitness and how much time you have before the race. It will spit out a spreadsheet that details your training program. Once you have that, you can insert your strength training days to fit your needs best.

For the record, I have run 15 half marathons and numerous 5K races. I use P90X, P90X3, and Body Beast for strength training. Hope that helps, and you are welcome to ask me any other questions you have.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response! I'll send a FR shortly :smile: I wasn't expecting to do a normal work out routine while really focusing on HM training. I read that while training for a race lighter weights, higher reps are the way to go so I'll have to transition to that.

I've heard of smart coach but I couldn't tell much about it from the website and with so many free plans out there, i wasn't sure if it would be worth it to pay for one. I'll try looking into it a little more though.

Your race history is really impressive! Thanks for the tips!
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half this year using Hal Higdon's novice 1 program. I totally incorporated strength training into my half training. I felt like it made me stronger. Obviously I wasn't power lifting or anything crazy but I did push myself and it was fine. I also added a few more weeks to the schedule so that I could take time off and recover if necessary and not feel too guilty about being off track. On the days where I would run and strength train I would run first then lift. My tips would be: Hydrate, where the proper shoes, eat well, and REST! You're going to do fine. :wink:
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have a trainer, but when I was training for my half this was my schedule:

Tuesday run
    Wednesday strength training (sometimes Monday)
    Thursday run
    Saturday long run followed by training. He would do speed training or stability training or both.

I had a significant imbalance in my core and hips, so that's what we focused on the most on my strength training days. Lots of quad work.

Calories i used TDEE, however at the end when I was doing 10+miles I was eating more than I normally would on that day.

Running after leg day was hard. Like wicked hard. But it's all about the mental conditioning. I never pushed too far.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your posts!

Bongo - I'm glad someone saw benefits to adding in strength training since I didn't want to lose it completely while training.

Lyttle - I've heard about adding in speed work, I was a sprinter in high school and a little in college so speed work really interests me, have you heard of any program that incorporates speed work? I don't think I can afford a trainer at the moment. And also thank you for letting me know you used the TDEE method while training! I guess I'll just adjust my calories a little when I start running 15+ miles a week so I'm fueling myself enough.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I hate running the day after leg day. Had a bad one on Tuesday in fact. It felt like I'd already run 10 miles when I started out the door. :smile:

Frankly, I rather like my legs the way running, and my genetics, have made them but I've been running for a few years. There's definitely a lot of value in strengthening your quads, hips, etc. to make your joints more stable and strong. Some of the biggest issues new runners have are caused by weak supporting muscles.

That said, I currently don't do a lot of leg work. My calves are already 14 3/4", they don't need to be bigger. I only do squats and a few other leg-intensive moves once per week to maintain what I have and just know the day after is going to suck so I take it easy on my runs. I focus more of my efforts on my upper body and core.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    As far as speed work goes we did downhill sprints, which were actually a lot of fun. Sprinted downhill and then walked back up. I also ran in place tapping my toes on a box. Did a lot of box work that i can probably link you to later when I'm not on my phone. Resistance runs sideways across a ladder. Suicide runs and shuttle runs were usually part of my strength day, but those are also speed work. I have a sports injury to my right ankle so we worked more on stability and hips than a typical runner might. I'll see if I can find a program that might incorporate things. Fartlek training has a some structure to it.

I'm a slow runner so in a half marathon I actually spend as much time on the ground as a marathoner. The four months of strength training and speed work has improved my overall pace tremendously.
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I stayed with the MFP calorie suggestions but on long run days I ate my exercise calories back.

You didn't ask this but I could not do HM training AND strength training at the same time. Physically and mentally I could not handle both at the same time.

Good luck!!

-India
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally my resistance training is bodyweight, and I have a combination of approaches.

If I'm doing 10K or less then I'll integrate the session with the run, either running 5K to the park, doing the set session then 5K home, or I'll run the 10K and then do the session.

If I'm doing more than 10K then I won't do another session in conjunction.

That said, my priorities are around improving my running. If you're only going for completion, and given that you're talking about lifting rather than bodyweight, then you'll probably benefit from lifting in advance of running to reduce the injury risk.

I run four days per week, again if you're only looking at completion then you could potentially get away with three.