when you're sick in bed all day...

Options
i had literally just gotten to my goal weight (104.5/105) & then I got sick.. I've been laying in bed the past couple days just eating food :( i'm now up to 107 in a matter of less than a week!!
idk what to do... i suppose i could just sleep all day & avoid food (lol...kidding)
should i go off of my bmr?

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Rest and take care of your body right now... worry about your weight when you get better... most likely it's just water weight anyways.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I just ate what I could physically prepare. The weight will come off when you're recovered.
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Rest and take care of your body right now... worry about your weight when you get better... most likely it's just water weight anyways.

water weight from laying in bed all day?
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i had literally just gotten to my goal weight (104.5/105) & then I got sick.. I've been laying in bed the past couple days just eating food :( i'm now up to 107 in a matter of less than a week!!
    idk what to do... i suppose i could just sleep all day & avoid food (lol...kidding)
    should i go off of my bmr?

1) You're sick, therefore you NEED food and nutrients. Eating more calories when you're sick is perfectly healthy, and as long as you concentrate on foods that are good for you, it will help heal your body. Rest and good food.
    2) You gained 2 pounds. That's nothing. Our weight can easily fluctuate a pound or two from day to day. It could be water weight. You're not going to get fat in a couple days :wink:
    3) When you hit your goal weight and start maintenance, you are definitely going to be up some days. I'd suggest not weighing yourself all the time. What you need to do is look in the mirror and take account of how you FEEL. Healthy weight isn't about a number on the scale. I always set my goal weight as a general guideline. For instance, my goal is to stay between 115 and 122 because that is where I feel and look the best.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The biggest lesson I've learned about maintenance is that it's not about maintaining one precise weight. It's about maintaining the habits and lifestyle that sustain that weight.

All I need to do to reaffirm this is look at my friends who are, and have always been, a healthy weight.

They don't freak out if they miss a workout because of a busy week.
    They don't stress about holiday parties and eating.
    They don't worry about weight gained while recovering from a short illness.

Instead, they live their life and if things go off track, they just get right back on track afterward.

Your weight went up 2 pounds in a week? Mine sometimes goes up 2 pounds overnight, for no apparent reason.

My advice is to stay off the scale, and if you do want to weigh in, set a range of at least five points. Weight is not static, especially for women - it fluctuates for all kinds of reasons: how much you eat, what you eat, how much you move, hormonal changes.

Maintain the lifestyle, and the weight will follow. The long-term is what matters.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If you're so sick that you're laying in bed all day, why are you even worrying about your weight and how much food you should eat? Just try to get over your illness!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

water weight from laying in bed all day?

Yes...especially then! Many bodies retain fluid when we don't move around much. It's totally normal to retain water when you're sick, too. Just take care of getting better--not about a 2# weight gain. :smile:
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    If you're so sick that you're laying in bed all day, why are you even worrying about your weight and how much food you should eat? Just try to get over your illness!

i hate feeling set back at all :( annnnd i may have had a crazy chocolate craving and eaten a bunch of m&m peanuts, ghiradelli chocolate squares, and mike&ikes O.o
  • sweetdixie92
    Options

i hate feeling set back at all :( annnnd i may have had a crazy chocolate craving and eaten a bunch of m&m peanuts, ghiradelli chocolate squares, and mike&ikes O.o

Heheh, at least I'm not the only one who gets the craving for chocolate when I'm sick! You're gonna be fine ;)

Shannon - ditto!! It's the lifestyle, not the numbers.
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    backin3 wrote: »

Heheh, at least I'm not the only one who gets the craving for chocolate when I'm sick! You're gonna be fine ;)

soo should i just eat what i normally maintain on when i'm sick regardless of the fact that i'm bedridden and not exercising?
  • ShannonMpls
    Options

soo should i just eat what i normally maintain on when i'm sick regardless of the fact that i'm bedridden and not exercising?

You'll be fine if you do. You could also drop your calories 100-200 to compensate, but I wouldn't.
  • sweetdixie92
    Options

I would. It takes energy for your body to fight sickness. How many calories do you eat for maintenance?
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options

I would. It takes energy for your body to fight sickness. How many calories do you eat for maintenance?

usually 1500-1700 with one hour of barre exercises a day
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    i'm 5'4
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    oh for goodness sake.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Did you have all that in your cupboards or did you go out and buy it?
  • sweetdixie92
    Options

Seems a bit low for maintenance to me, but everybody is different I guess. I wouldn't go below that. You're body should tell you what you need. You don't want to starve yourself when you're sick.
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options

Seems a bit low for maintenance to me, but everybody is different I guess. I wouldn't go below that. You're body should tell you what you need. You don't want to starve yourself when you're sick.

I just personally think I look better at like 105 :(
  • ShannonMpls
    Options

Than at 107? Two pounds?
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Than at 107? Two pounds?

yes Shannon I stalked your before and after pics, and you look absolutely amazing. You should be very proud of yourself!
    Hummingbird you should not be concerned with 2 pounds. From another thread you started you already know you are underweight.