Stupid question about the calorie counter

Options
I'm kinda new to the whole keeping track of what I eat. I've always eaten in moderation, but I never really payed much attention to nutrition facts. ANYWAY, let's my goal is 1550 calories. Does that mean I would have to eat 1550 calories in order to LOSE weight? Or do I eat less to lose weight?

Replies

• TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    If your goal as set by this site is 1500 calories, that is the figure you need to eat every day, and which will result in you losing weight. :)

Unless you've changed it, the goal is set on the basis of losing 1lb a week. You may find that you lose a bit more than that at first, due to fluid loss on starting a diet.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    When you set up your page it should have asked you if you wanted to loose gain or maintain. If you answered loose it would ask if you want to loose .5 or 1 lb. a week. Depending on what you answered it will give you a calorie amount. if you eat less then the recomended calorie amount you may not loose because you will be starving your body and it will not release the calories. So I would check to see what you put in you goals and do what it tells you.
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    Umm, nice username first of all, ahaha. Well, it depends on what you put into MFP as your goal. If your goal is set to lose 1 pound per week and your calorie counter says 1550 calories, you should eat 1550 calories to lose one pound a week. [: Simple as pie!
  • JesseP18
    JesseP18 Posts: 19
    Options
    Ah I see. Well I burn around 700-800 calories a day working out, so I really have to eat around 2300 calories daily?
  • JesseP18
    Options
    And I put that I wanted to lose 2lbs a week.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Eating back your exercise calories is your choice. Some people say it works for them others say they never eat them and they always lose. I would say that if you feel you cannot eat the 2000+ each day, go with at least 1550 and if you feel hungry eat more. If you see no results, then switch it up and eat more of your exercise calories. But, remember, you will see a big loss at first from water retention. Most people lose about 5-10 pounds within the first couple of weeks from drinking more water, so judge it based off of a month or so at first.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    Ah I see. Well I burn around 700-800 calories a day working out, so I really have to eat around 2300 calories daily?

basically. do a forum search and you'll get an ABUNDANCE of opinions. obviously, you may not be able to eat them all back all the time. there's a user here on MFP, Taso42, who put together the best links on an outside website. it started out as a joke, but it's actually a good reference tool for stuff like that.

www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

and good luck!
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a stupid question!!

And yep, that would be what you need to eat to lose weight! MFP minuses the calories, depending what you've set your goal at for a - 0.5 pound, 1 pound, 1.5 pounds, 2 pounds weight loss! Easy as pie LOL!! And it is recommended that you eat at least some of your excersise calories back, although there are many posts here that will tell you otherwise!! I try not to eat under what my BMR is (tools section), I have my goal set for a pound a week loss and I eat back most of my excersise calories - making sure not to NET under 1200 ever!! And I've been losing steadily since I began 10 weeks ago!! And I say "most" of my excersise calories b/c it's not guaranteed that what MFP says I'm burning is actually what I'm burning, so I don't usually eat them all back!! Some days I do, some days I don't!! Good luck!! And trust this site, as long as your completely honest it works amazing!!! Don't get discouraged my a so called "bad" day, just keep on going!
  • JesseP18
    Options
    Alright cool thanks everybody!