Favorite meal with minimal cooking

Options
rbfdac
rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
I don't have a lot of time to cook, so I eat a lot of "quick to make" things (i.e overnight oats for breakfast, spinach salad with beans for lunch, frozen veggie burgers with cheese, vegetables and hummus, and fresh fruit for dinner). The microwave is my friend.

When looking at the "what's for dinner" posts and whatnot, I see a whole lot of baked chicken, soups, casseroles, eggs and bacon for breakfast, etc.--- delicious, but I don't have the time to cook like that.

To preface, without the intention of sounding rude, I am not asking for suggestions or tips about how I can incorporate more cooking in to my daily routine or any feedback about the types of food I choose to eat. I am merely interested in what your favorite quick, easy meal is.

So, what's your favorite meal (breakfast, lunch and/or dinner) that involves minimal cooking and time?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    - omelet
    - protein pancakes
    - baked oatmeal (made the night before, takes about an hour to bake or less and maybe 30 minutes to prep at most)
    - any simple baked protein (fish, poultry, red meat, doesn't matter)
    - hamburgers (meat + onions + oil on the pan)

Otherwise dedicate once a week (which I'm sure you can do) to cooking in bulk and freeze what you won't eat quickly.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Why not try out more slow cooker meals. You can put them in the crock pot before bed and have it ready in the morning for you to take to work. Or put it in before work, have it ready when you get home and then leftovers for lunch the next day.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot with a crockpot that's pretty minimal for prep time, and it's ready to serve when you get home. Or do most of the prep the night before and just toss it together in the morning. There are all sorts of freezer-bag recipes out there on places like Pinterest, as well. Spend a day assembling a bunch, then pull them out of the freezer as needed.

Yesterday I made a whole chicken that took literally only five minutes to pull together before work, and the crockpot did the rest. Can't get any faster or easier.

A staple in our house is to quickly pan fry a fish filet or salmon steak and steam vegetables in the microwave. Scrambled eggs and toast is even faster.
  • jamilynn_8890
    jamilynn_8890 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken and those frozen vegetables that come in steam packets
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The crock pot is definitely the busy person's friend. I also like to make a stir fry using a lean protein, frozen asian veggies and soy sauce, granulated onion and garlic. I start the rice first, brown the protein, throw in the veggies and let it cook until everything is hot. The rice needs no attention once you set it to simmer until it's done 15 minutes later.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I don't have a lot of time to cook, so I eat a lot of "quick to make" things (i.e overnight oats for breakfast, spinach salad with beans for lunch, frozen veggie burgers with cheese, vegetables and hummus, and fresh fruit for dinner). The microwave is my friend.

When looking at the "what's for dinner" posts and whatnot, I see a whole lot of baked chicken, soups, casseroles, eggs and bacon for breakfast, etc.--- delicious, but I don't have the time to cook like that.

To preface, without the intention of sounding rude, I am not asking for suggestions or tips about how I can incorporate more cooking in to my daily routine or any feedback about the types of food I choose to eat. I am merely interested in what your favorite quick, easy meal is.

So, what's your favorite meal (breakfast, lunch and/or dinner) that involves minimal cooking and time?

This sounds more complicated than it is, but Mediterranean spaghetti topped with shrimp scampi is heavenly.

1 T butter
    1/2 cup white wine or wine vinegar
    1/2 cup stock or broth
    garlic to taste (I use about a 1 1/2 - 2 T, at minimum)
    1 lb shrimp
    pinch of salt and pepper

2 servings spaghetti
    1 T olive oil
    1 small can tomatoes (something chunky, or use fresh if you have time for chopping. You don't want the spaghetti covered, like with marinara...you just want some color)
    1 handful fresh basil chopped
    1 cup feta cheese (optional, but I like it)

Melt butter in medium hot pan, throw in shrimp and cook for about 3 minutes til they begin to curl and pink, throw in garlic for a minute, then add the rest. When shrimp is done, scoop it out into a bowl and turn heat to high to reduce the liquids by half (about 10 minutes).

Meanwhile, cook your spaghetti and drain, add the rest of the spaghetti ingredients, and when your scampi liquid is nicely reduced, throw the shrimp and liquid on the spaghetti and toss.

It is heavenly! For two VERY large servings, this is about 650 cals and 50 grams protein. You can reduce this by leaving out feta, or reducing olive oil or butter (please don't leave out the butter altogether as it makes a HUGE difference in taste!)

As long as your shrimp are defrosted and your water is set to boil when you start, you can finish the whole thing in 15 minutes.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Slow cooker burritos:

Chicken or pork (1-3 lbs)
    Jar of really good salsa (don't buy crappy stuff, get something really flavorful) If you're using a lot of meat, get two jars.

Combine in a slow cooker/Crockpot and cook on low overnight.

The next day, shred quickly with two forks, put a nice scoop on a tortilla with whatever fixin's you want, and you have tasty, healthy burritos.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am with you OP!! There is only 1 or 2 nights a week where I actually make a recipe of some sort. the rest of the week I'm scrambling to find easy, fast meals. I don't even have time to prep my crockpot in the morning. Here are some things I like to eat that are super fast:
    High liner flame flavor fish filets with microwaved frozen vegetables
    I'll fry a piece of pork or chicken or sausage and throw in some vegetables in the same pan with salt and pepper, sometimes lemon juice.
    I eat subway a couple times a week...I know it doesn't count, I didn't make it.
    Throw a jar of spaghetti sauce in the microwave and cook up some noodles
    to list a few...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken is awesome for quick meals. You can carve it up and eat it with a veggie, or pull the meat and toss with a salad, pasta, rice, sandwich, tortilla, whatever.

Morningstar Farms has lots of veggie burgers that are quite tasty, like roasted garlic chickpea or spicy black bean.

Bagged freezer meals that you cook for 10 minutes in a skillet are often fairly low in calories (although still high in sodium). Chili's now makes them, and this one is especially tasty for 300 cals per serving:

chilis-products-baconranch-multi.png

And this is good at 450 cals:

36200057087.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Stir fry, though if don't buy the veggies already sliced, there is a bit of food prep. But still, it takes about 20 total to slice and stir fry some meat and veggies. About 10 if buy pre-liced vegetables, and the possible combinations are endless.

Grilled fish and sauteed greens or asparagus or any other quick cooking vegetable takes 10-15 min.

Adding some instant rice to either meal would not increase total cooking time.

Smaller frozen fish can go straight from the freezer to oven and will be done in 15-20 min. Roast some thinly sliced zucchini, cabbage and/or carrots at the same time.
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really like café steamers (chicken marinera is my favorite), and the prepackaged "café bowl' salads at Safeway--- and they just added little wrap bowls! Two small tortillas and yummy spicy sauce. So those are good for lunches!

LOVE the steamer bags of vegetables too, that can go in the microwave. And the little brown rice cups or bags that can be microwaved. Then all you need is you protein.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should have added that I am a pescatarian! I didn't figure I would get so many responses including meat, haha. I love all of these recommendations, though. They definitely require more effort than I normally give, but it doesn't seem like it takes too much more time. I can always replace the meat with faux stuff.

On that note- does anybody have any favorite vegetarian/pescatarian quick meals that they love?
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I live alone and so I've made an art form out of quick, easy meals. I love to cook, but a lot of times when I get home from work I just don't feel like putting the effort in. Some of my go-to's:

- I buy the Tyson refrigerated chicken Fajita strips, brown them in a skillet with olive oil (which takes about 5 minutes) and slap them on a tortilla with whatever I have around that sounds good, like sour cream, guacamole, peppers, etc. I also do this with ground beef (with some taco seasoning added), although it takes a few minutes longer to cook.
    - Baked tilapia. I usually season it with lemon pepper (premade from the spice aisle) and put it in a foil packet with a little butter. About 20-25 minutes at 350 in the oven and it's done.
    - Scrambled eggs and half an English muffin with honey or cream cheese is great for weekday breakfast. It only take about 5 minutes to scramble eggs. Sometimes I have this for dinner even if I'm feeling lazy.
    - Spaghetti. Boil noodles. Throw some store bought sauce in pan over medium heat and add onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, and basil to taste. Let it cook down until the noodles are done (12 minutes) and the extra spices make it actually pretty good for a store bought sauce.
    - Ranch pork chops. Take a boneless pork chop and coat it with dry hidden valley ranch dip mix. Bake it at 400 for about 25-30 minutes.
    - Ranch burger. Add dry hidden valley ranch mix to some ground beef and fry it up. I usually put a little A1 or blue cheese dressing on it. Sometimes I don't even bother with a bun.
    - Salsa pork chop or chicken. Put whichever you like in a skillet and let it cook a little on both sides. After about 10 minutes, drain off any fat and add 1/4C of salsa on top. Let it cook down until the salsa isn't runny anymore and the meat is done through. Usually this take less than 20 minutes total.
    - Greek chicken w/ rice pilaf. Cut up a chicken breast and roll the pieces around in greek spices (I usually mix together some thyme, oregano, garlic powder, dried minced onion, etc) and brown in a skillet with some olive oil over medium heat. When it's done, add some feta cheese and put it over some rice pilaf. I make the rice pilaf by buying the uncle ben's rice pilaf in a bag that only takes two minutes or so in the microwave. It's pretty high in sodium, but I only eat this once in a while so I don't worry about it. Takes about 20 minutes from prep to eating.
    - "Pretend" Chinese food. Cut up chicken or pork into cubes and brown in a skillet over medium heat with canola or peanut oil. While you're doing that, throw a bag of steamer veggies in the microwave. When both are done, put it all on the skillet together and add some sauce (I usually get sweet & sour or general Tzoa's from the store) and leave it on the heat until the sauce is hot. For the rice, you can also get the uncle ben's microwave rice that takes about two minutes if you don't feel like messing with a rice cooker. Takes about 20 minutes from prep to eating.

Also, if you have more time on the weekends it's always great to make soup, chili, or whatever and then freeze it in single serving containers. That way you can just pull one out to thaw if you need a last minute lunch or feel a lazy spell coming on.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat protein cereal for dinner on most days which is probably the easiest thing there is lol, I also pre-make meatballs and have them for breakfast every day, I pre-made a months worth so I just take out one bag per week from the freezer. I also pre-make cauliflower mash and a bunch of rice. I hard boil a bunch of eggs and my lunches are two eggs and mix in some mayo and pepper and I have egg salad sandwiches. Then the rest of my days are baby carrots, yogurts, nuts, etc. I HATE cooking lol My macros are for the most part pretty spot on. Feel free to check out my diary, my days are pretty simple. Just ignore today as I thought I had nuts at work but I didn't so now I am over in carbs from having to buy a granola bar at the vending machine lol
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Citris lime chicken
    1/4 cup of Orange Juice
    Juice from 1-2 limes
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 Teaspoon red pepper
    1/4 cup of fresh cilantro (dried is fine)
    Salt+Pepper to taste

Mix in a bowl, add the mixture with two chicken breasts into a plastic zip-lock bag and sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours.

Fry in a skillet and cover while cooking, then nom nom. Super easy to make, anyone can do it. takes about 20-30 minutes to cook in the skillet.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Any frozen dinner. Any grilled meat and a steamed veggie.
  • 9000FeetHigh
    9000FeetHigh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Steamed Mussels in Wine & Garlic Sauce! We served it over linguine. Mmmmm, and the mussels steam in just about 4 minutes. Just discovered I like shellfish, so this will be a repeat meal for us.
  • AgentRomanova
    Options
    Baked Pesto and Mozzarella Chicken:

4 Chicken breasts
    1 Mozzrella ball
    2 - 3 tbsp Green pesto

Spread 1 tbsp pesto on the bottom of an oven proof dish.
    Lay chicken breasts on top.
    Spread 1 - 2 tbsp pesto over chicken.
    Cover dish with tin foil and bake in oven at 200 degrees Celcius for 20 - 25 minutes.
    Slice cheese up.
    Remove tin foil and place the cheese evenly over the chicken.
    Return to oven (uncovered) and cook for another 10 minutes until the cheese melts and starts to go brown.

You easily double up this recipe for plenty of leftovers. I serve it with green beans and cous cous, but it goes great with a salad.
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Boil eggs up to a week in advance. I love boiled eggs. Pop a sweet potato in the microwave while u get ready and eat as is. Get tortillas and put whatever u want in the, quick heat in microwave..