Kids's honesty hurts... kinda

Options
Over the past 14 years, my weight has fluctuated considerably.... I blame my kids, but I know that it is my own fault. I have tried losing and/or maintaining my weight numerous times, sometimes with success for a good period of time and sometimes without any success. I have always been aware of changes in my eating habits, but I obviously didn't care enough when I knew that I needed to make changes.

So what has changed? Firstly, I went to for my annual physical in August and felt like the doctor punched me in the gut. He was professional but brutally honest. My blood pressure was borderline high; my cholesterol had increased, my weighed in at my height weight ever, etc... When I got home from my physical, I reported the results to my wife and she was disgusted in a way a wife would be after having been on you to make changes. During the past couple of months I have started to make changes. I have lost some weight, I have more energy and I am feeling better about how things are going right now. Then.... this past week my oldest daughter says to me one night... "dad you have the chubbiest cheeks I have ever seen." Next my son says to me... "when I hug you I can't get my arms around you anymore".

Their comments really hit me hard. I know they didn't mean to hurt me, but I felt like I have let them down. I expect them to work hard in everything they do, and I get on them if they are not in shape for the sports they participate in, yet here I am being a complete hypocrite. Additionally I have always told them that they need to lead by setting a good example, and again I have not followed my own advice.

So here I am... this is probably the 100th plus time I have said that I am going to make a change. Here is to making this time the last time for a new beginning!

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    The last time!!! Good for you! Feel free to add me!
  • fbref9
    fbref9 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks.... request sent.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Take your kids sentiments as motivation and it will help a lot. My goal is to be able to ride the rides at Disneyland with my kids. I have a bit more to go, but i'm getting there. Down 106 lbs since august and its all for them.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The 100th time is the charm.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Umpteenth time for me, losing and gaining more; but THIS IS WORKING. You can do this, and it sounds like your motivation and self-honesty are working at 100% !! Feel free to add me, I am a daily logger with open diary and I love to give a Like or Comment to my MFP friends.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the truth hurts, but sometimes it is moves us to alter our lives for the better. Good luck!
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My worst point was when a woman "With the mind of a child" clapped her hands and shouted to me in the grocery store... "Oh a baby, a baby, you gonna have a baby!" OUCH!! I was WAY past child bearing years. But even that didn't do the trick for me because it was several years later before I got serious about losing all this fat.
    Don't let yourself, your wife or your kids down anymore... with the help of MFP you can do this and keep it off for a lifetime - a long, healthy, lifetime!
    - BEST OF LUCK!
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Kids have a way of cutting right through everything... Just your posting here is a good sign I think. You can do this! Feel free to add me - I am a dad too, albeit of toddlers.
    - Good luck!
  • fbref9
    fbref9 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. Onward and upward... I mean downward...

P.S. I need to do a better job proofreading before I post, I am pretty sure my English teachers would not be pleased.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I think we all hope our kids do as we say and not as we do....we always want them to do better, be better than us. There's also not a person alive that hasn't dished out some hard earned wisdom to someone else, then realized they should be saying it to themselves.
  • Jessalynn54
    Jessalynn54 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Kids are the best motivation. My Ex's kids would make their Wii Figures exactly as they seen everyone. Skinny mommy(use to be me in that relationship), medium daddy and Fat grandmom. Love the honestly when they're young, grandmom no longer allows the "F" word over at her house. If I still talked to her I would tell her about MFP and calorie tracker, her extreme diets were torture on her husband, who I use to take plates of dinner to because she stopped cooking every time she started taking up a new fad.
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It hurts, but kids' honesty can be a great motivator. When I was fat, my granddaughter, who was around 2 at the time, one day innocently pointed at my belly and said "baby in there". Mind you, I was well into menopause...and it still took a few years to get on it, but I never forgot that when I was finally losing 70lbs a few years ago (unfortunately, some has crept back - working on that now....)
  • forchefitness
    forchefitness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Obviously none of that is what you want to hear but it's a great wake up call. Feel free to add me :)
  • beatricelombule
    beatricelombule Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The truth hurts.........and it made me change and lose 49 lbs. You can do it
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just keep working it. It will happen. Don't try to rush it, slow and steady wins the race.