Pizza logging

Options
I usually have one slice of pizza as a meal once or twice a week. I have to have at least one slice.I usually log it around 300 cal depending on what is on it. I am afraid it is more cals than I think. I usually get the typical thin pizzeria stuff. How do you guys log your pizza?

Replies

• Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I weigh it and get the cals per gram based on the chain.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    with frozen at home pizza I weigh it.. Today I had pizza for lunch Had enough cals for 126g of pizza.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Shop bought double pepperoni pizza yesterday was 159 per slice based on calorie count on the pack.

it was thin crust only about 12 inch diameter though
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look for the nutritional information of a chain online. 300 is probably pretty close.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Chains with 20 or more locations will have to display nutritional information as of next November. Interestingly, pizza chains provided the strongest pushback for the rules.

I haven't had pizza since I started logging, but if I was going to a small chain or single location, I would ask if they have that information available. They may have it behind the counter. If they don't and I ate it as often as you do, I would try to email a request to the owner/manager.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I usually get my pizza from a local shop. It is similar in style and size to Papa John's chain, so I log Papa John's. I agree that 300 calories for one slice of a large pizza is going to be close.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you can't get the info from the restaurant you go to, then I would look up the calories of the same style pizza at a chain pizza place and log that. If you're really eating just one slice 1-2x a week, then you should be fine guesstimating, but I'd choose the more caloric entry over the least caloric if you're guesstimating.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If it's a well known chain I get the calories online. If it's a local place I'll usually use the corresponding Pizza Hut entry that has grams listed so I can weigh the slice. If you're away from home and can't weigh then make sure the diameter of the pizza you log matches the one you ate. Just keep in mind that it's all going to be a rough estimate with restaurant food-- it's notoriously inaccurate even if you get the right chain.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I always log the highest calorie one on mfp. Usually dominos pepperoni.
    I'd rather guestimate over than under
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Typically pizza slices sold by the slice are bigger than a typical slice if you buy the whole pie. If you're going to guesstimate based on serving amounts of other places, be sure to at least do a rough guesstimate of size comparisons as well.
  • OrangeBabelfish
    OrangeBabelfish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Dominos has pretty good nutrition/calorie info on their website online (UK). Their medium or large slices come in at about 300 for the nice ones (the meaty ones :) ) So yeah, 300 sounds right.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Chains with 20 or more locations will have to display nutritional information as of next November. Interestingly, pizza chains provided the strongest pushback for the rules.

Uh, but presumably not everywhere on the planet. Not everyone who uses this site gets their pizza from a big chain located in America :smile:

To log our locally made pizza, I did a bunch of online research and found a range of articles that included calorie counts on pizzas that seemed pretty similar to what we get in size, ingredients, etc. Then I just created my own listing that reflects that. (For a margharita pizza, with the restaurant's name listed so it's clear that it's not just a general margharita pizza; then I add calories to reflect added veggies etc. when I log it.)

I'm not terribly confident about the calorie count, but I'd feel way less confident just using a count from a major global chain, which is going to have a different balance of ingredients (and probably different ingredients, too). For instance, there'll be a lot more cheese on a big chain pizza than there seems to be on our local pizzas. A fair number of online sources, particularly from the UK and Australia, indicate that smaller thin-crust pizzas (9-10 in.) not from big chains run in the range of 850-1000 a pizza. I've seen Israeli pizzas listed at just over 200 per slice. Here's one link in which a nutritionist in NYC dissects a few local pizzas there.

http://citygirlbites.com/blog/archives/8663

Basically, if you don't do chain pizza, I'd say find a listing that seems to reflect the pizza you really get, or create your own after some research once you feel satisfied with what you're finding, and then maybe "estimate up" to be sure :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Only one piece- wow, I'm impressed. Mine usually fall into the 340 + range per slice. Once you have it, its in your database.
  • sdavies1984
    sdavies1984 Posts: 18 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Uh, but presumably not everywhere on the planet. Not everyone who uses this site gets their pizza from a big chain located in America :smile:

To log our locally made pizza, I did a bunch of online research and found a range of articles that included calorie counts on pizzas that seemed pretty similar to what we get in size, ingredients, etc. Then I just created my own listing that reflects that. (For a margharita pizza, with the restaurant's name listed so it's clear that it's not just a general margharita pizza; then I add calories to reflect added veggies etc. when I log it.)

I'm not terribly confident about the calorie count, but I'd feel way less confident just using a count from a major global chain, which is going to have a different balance of ingredients (and probably different ingredients, too). For instance, there'll be a lot more cheese on a big chain pizza than there seems to be on our local pizzas. A fair number of online sources, particularly from the UK and Australia, indicate that smaller thin-crust pizzas (9-10 in.) not from big chains run in the range of 850-1000 a pizza. I've seen Israeli pizzas listed at just over 200 per slice. Here's one link in which a nutritionist in NYC dissects a few local pizzas there.

Basically, if you don't do chain pizza, I'd say find a listing that seems to reflect the pizza you really get, or create your own after some research once you feel satisfied with what you're finding, and then maybe "estimate up" to be sure :smile:

That link was very good. In the video, she did what I could never do to a slice of pizza. Most of the pizza i get is like the typical NY slice from small independently owned shops which is why I was unsure how to log it. Looks like I have been underestimating. Thanks a lot for everyone's input. Very helpful.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    with frozen at home pizza I weigh it.. Today I had pizza for lunch Had enough cals for 126g of pizza.

126g of pizza is about 4.5oz.
    That's depressing
  • sdavies1984
    sdavies1984 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yup
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Yeah, I get that not everyone is from the US, but the OP is. I'll check out that link.
  • Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is what I did:

Margherita (from local pizzeria): 1200 kcal/pizza
    Greek Pizza (from local pizzeria): 1500 kcal/pizza

and then I simply average it out. From the 100+ pages* I checked for calories in pizza they all said somewhere between 800-1500, so I took the two pizzas I eat and added them as somewhere in the high end of the range and I just average it out with the rest. I don't eat pizza very often so it's not an issue really. Today I had half a margherita for dinner, and saved the other half for some other day. Eating pizza with knife and fork really makes a huge difference in how full you feel!

*I'm from Sweden and checked mostly Swedish sites, since I assume size/ingredient average is very different between different countries.
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    acogg wrote: »
    I usually get my pizza from a local shop. It is similar in style and size to Papa John's chain, so I log Papa John's. I agree that 300 calories for one slice of a large pizza is going to be close.

This is how I do things, too. My downfall is that one local place always party cuts pizza, so translating that into actual slices is a pain - especially in public, where I can't weigh things.