In need of some help

Options
ajdii
ajdii Posts: 28 Member
I just realize that it is time for me to get some help. I have tried to change my life style for so many times and it just doesn't work for me. Eather I lose focus or I skip a day or two and feel like I can't continue from where I left off,... And everytime I step on the scale it says 1-2 pounds more that the last time :(
I would appriciate any help that someone can offer. It can be a simple advice or plan or workouts that helped you. Please, I know that I have to make the change but I just need some help cuz I am in that dead spot. It is not that I am extra heavy or something but I am slowly but surely getting there if something doesn't change.

Replies

• xjgirl94
    xjgirl94 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    water weight will vary everyday. You shouldnt weigh but once a week. Are you working out? What kind of food are you eating?
  • R_ART
    R_ART Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When you come to that realization, that is the first step. You need to start slowly. I started logging my food about 20 days ago (again). I will start exercising soon, but you can't do it all at once. I am also working with my doctor . I am trying for 2 lbs/week (need to lose a lot). Pick exercises that you can do. My first is to walk. I walk at work and try to get up from my desk a few times a day and walk. I also park farther away and walk. Then I like water aerobics (easier on my knees). Remember - little by little, step by step.
    Feel free to add me as a friend, if you would like.
  • xjgirl94
    xjgirl94 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    R_ART wrote: »
    When you come to that realization, that is the first step. You need to start slowly. I started logging my food about 20 days ago (again). I will start exercising soon, but you can't do it all at once. I am also working with my doctor . I am trying for 2 lbs/week (need to lose a lot). Pick exercises that you can do. My first is to walk. I walk at work and try to get up from my desk a few times a day and walk. I also park farther away and walk. Then I like water aerobics (easier on my knees). Remember - little by little, step by step.
    Feel free to add me as a friend, if you would like.

I agree with you. It takes baby steps & it isn't something that will happen overnight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    everybody slips up - the trick is to re-focus every single time

don't make a slip-up snack become a meal, don't let a slip-up meal become a day, don't let a slip-up day become a week

just get back on the horse - re-commit and stop making excuses that you've slipped up now so there's no point

there's a point to every calorie that crosses your lips

weigh and log accurately, even your slip-ups
    commit to yourself to do the best you can right in this moment
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    To me logging is the most important thing! Every bite. Especially when you have a bad day! To see how much we eat is an eye-opener. If you don't log on days that you go way over your goal, you eventually go over your goal and feel that it's okay because it isn't in writing. Good intentions don't help you lose weight. Hard work and being honest with yourself does. But no one is perfect, and you can't give up because you "fail" one day.

Also, join a group and make friends. I'm not typically a joiner and wouldn't go to things like WW or Tops, but I belong to two MFP groups that are very supportive. I tell them things on-line that I don't tell my family or my non-MFP, in-person friends. Don't chose toxic friends; people who criticize you every time you make a mistake. You know when you do something wrong, you don't need friends rubbing your face in it. Choose friends who will just be there and offer a cheer when you do well and understanding when you don't. Search groups for people your age and similar lives. (Both my groups are over 60 years old and most are grandmothers).

As far as weighing, I must weigh everyday because I have HF. But, some people weigh once a month. Some once a week. If you weigh daily, some people like to average the weight over a week. But, I agree, you can't let water weight discourage you. I know. Because of the HF, I am the queen of water weight gain!

Finally, MOVE! Start walking. Log it. A pedometer will help at first, too. Find things you like to do. As you do, you'll do more. Oh, and there IS time.

I've been here 11 months; I still have a ways to go. The people I see who fail are:
    • Those who don't log.
    • Those who make excuses why they don't log.
    • Those who separate themselves from the group when they start to fail. (Heck, I've posted 10 pound gains during this journey, but I post and I admit to it).
    • Those who just aren't willing to give it a fair chance because they want instant results.

Hope you stick to it and watch the pounds melt away!

Grandmother Charlie

56604121.png
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A few things that have helped me stay on track:
    1. Make My Fitness Pal a favorite - keep it near the top of your favorites list or download the app.
    2. Gather lots of positive friends on MFP - they will help encourage and keep you on track.
    3. Drink at least 8 ounces of water before eating, as it will make you feel fuller and you won't eat as much.
    4. Once you decide to exercise, after you've been logging for a while, make an appointment to exercise, just as if you were making a doctor's appointment. For me, I have a daily reminder on my phone that goes off with an annoyingly cheerful sound about 15 minutes before I have to exercise. Use whatever works best for you.
    Feel free to add me as a friend - you can do this :)
  • ajdii
    ajdii Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @Missbishop I go to reggaeton class twice a week and I don't eat regulary enough since I have to work 10 hours a day and sometimes it is so stressful that I forget to take a break and go eat and than I eat late when I get home =( (but it's the first time I say it out loud so maby I Will change it now ;) )

Thank you everyone for your advice =) I really appriciate all of your support =) I promise to start loging my food and if you don't mind I would like to add you to be my pals ;)
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ajdii wrote: »
    I just realize that it is time for me to get some help. I have tried to change my life style for so many times and it just doesn't work for me. Eather I lose focus or I skip a day or two and feel like I can't continue from where I left off,... And everytime I step on the scale it says 1-2 pounds more that the last time :(
    I would appriciate any help that someone can offer. It can be a simple advice or plan or workouts that helped you. Please, I know that I have to make the change but I just need some help cuz I am in that dead spot. It is not that I am extra heavy or something but I am slowly but surely getting there if something doesn't change.

I will keep it short! It is great that you are endeavoring to change your life style. That being said you haven't explained what your new life style is. What I can tell you is that if your new life style is to become a healthy person then you are on the right track. To become a healthy person requires some "fad free*" knowledge about what constitute good health and the development of a personal plan which you can enjoy and not feel that it is work for you.

If I said to you forget the scales, use MFP for food planning**, food monitoring and only taking a daily walk for one hour for exercise I would probably be run out of town here for heresy. Finally, good health is a positive mind set compared to dieting in that it gives you a good feeling knowing that you can feel good about yourself and not be burdened by daily weight changes.

* Fad Diets - All diets that require you to pay for their program
    * * Food Planning - Use MFP to find food recipes that you like via the Internet or create your own.

For a simple plan that works you may contact me. Oops I didn't keep it short!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    personally, i like to sign up for races. it give you a goal to prepare for that is based more on performance rather than size or weight.

find a race that is about six months from now. thats May, which is prime season for everything from 5ks to half marathons, mud runs to triathlons. then, find a training plan for that distance, and enter all the workouts into your calendar, working backwards from the race date.
  • AgnesXNitt
    Options
    As other people have said, admitting you need to do something is the first step - but actually doing something about it is the difficult thing!
    Baby steps are better than nothing, walking really helped me when I first started losing weight, and I found the more I moved, the more I wanted to keep moving. It depends on your financial situation, but try different classes til you find one you like. I was humiliated at a step aerobic class many years ago when I was talked into going and swore I'd never go back, but I realise now Step is not for me. I go to a Powerhoop class, a Kettlebell class, and occasionally a Body conditioning class and a Fitsteps class and I enjoy them all. Find a class you like and a good tutor and explain you are a beginner/just starting and you are like to find they are very supportive.
    Food wise - honestly, logging your food intake is vital to keeping me honest. You are only cheating yourself by not being honest, and it really helps. By making myself accountable to myself about what fuel I give my body has made me more aware of both quantity and quality of the food I buy each week.
    You will have 'off' days when you feel you have eaten more than you know/think you should have done, not exercised when you said you would etc will happen. You are human, not perfect! Start again the next day afresh and keep going.
    On a final note, I find weighing myself once a week keeps me motivated. You then have a firm figure to start with, and seeing the numbers decrease no matter the time scale, is again motivating.
    Good Luck - you can do this, but you have to make it work for you.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Read a book. It's your starting line.
  • sarahgoodwin1107
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    everybody slips up - the trick is to re-focus every single time

don't make a slip-up snack become a meal, don't let a slip-up meal become a day, don't let a slip-up day become a week

just get back on the horse - re-commit and stop making excuses that you've slipped up now so there's no point

there's a point to every calorie that crosses your lips

weigh and log accurately, even your slip-ups
    commit to yourself to do the best you can right in this moment

Exactly this! Make it your lifestyle and then you don't go "on and off" your diet. Just be healthy and enjoy a treat and then continue with being healthy.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    ajdii wrote: »
    @Missbishop I go to reggaeton class twice a week and I don't eat regulary enough since I have to work 10 hours a day and sometimes it is so stressful that I forget to take a break and go eat and than I eat late when I get home =( (but it's the first time I say it out loud so maby I Will change it now ;) )

Thank you everyone for your advice =) I really appriciate all of your support =) I promise to start loging my food and if you don't mind I would like to add you to be my pals ;)

Maybe you could start with a goal to eat a healthy meal (any size) during your work day *every single day*?

• GonnaDoThis43
    GonnaDoThis43 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are talking about! And people out here have some great thoughts to share with you - I echo so much of what I'm reading! Check out my page and if you sense a connection, please friend me. I'd love to support you in this journey and help you get back on a positive track.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale for $10 and log your calories. Everything you eat. That's it for now.

Once you feel ready start eating less.

Once you start dreaming about working out then start working out.

If you feel life is getting in the way, it might help if you get a psychiatrist to talk to on a regular basis if you have issues you need to deal with but can't do it on your own
  • Parkes1993
    Parkes1993 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Maybe try prepping your food for the day that way it's yhere and no reason to miss a meal ... .. Feel free to add me if U like my routine is rather strict but if U can get any pointers that couks help U
  • crazykayos79
    crazykayos79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You only fail if you stop trying!!! I am like you but refuse to be anymore. I started logging yesterday and just accepted a 28 day challenge begginer squats. I have never ever done any excercise since school 15 years ago. I decided I want to live instead of just waiting to die, abit morbid but truth be told. You can do this small changes big results.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    I am still quite early on this but I have found two things that really help.

Attitude. Don't worry about striving for perfection. You haven't ruined things just because you ate loads of 'rubbish' all day (although I try not to label food as good/bad). I'm having to learn patience! Attitude is I think the hardest part.

Getting organised. Prepping a load of healthy food for the week ahead has helped a lot. This mainly involves taking a couple of hours at the weekend to chop a load of veg up and batch cook and freeze a couple of nice dishes I can heat up quickly later on when real life gets in the way of cooking.