I need help, I don't know where to start.

Options
Hi!
My name is Megan, a little background on me, I am 26 years old, I used to be an avid cyclist and a yoga instructor. When I was 21 while on a bike ride with some friends I was hit by a drunk driver, at 1 in the afternoon.

Anyway I had to have surgery, and was bedridden for four months, I had to relearn to walk and after a year and six months I was finally out of weekly rehab sessions. Last year I had my last rehab appointment and my doctor cleared me for intense exercise. However after five years of horrible depression and binge eating I gained about 100lbs. I finally got completely off the painkillers they pumped me up with and now I am totally disgusted with myself.

I have tried many diets stuck with them and nothing worked, finally I tried to scrap the idea of a 'diet' and tried concious eating, the obvious stuff no more soda, no fast food, no junk food, watching portion size making better choices, snacking on carrotts, celery or sometimes fruit when I need something sweet. I will occasionaly have a scoop of ice cream but I more often just throw some fruit in my yonana's, however some occasions just call for ice cream, in which case I make myself walk to the scoop shop a mile from my house in order to get it. I have lost 18 pounds just walking and stupid wii fit games every night but I miss actually exercising. I want to be healthy again.

I can't afford to join a gym, I'm drowning in hospital bills. My first instinct was to start riding my bike again, I have a stationary stand so if the weather is bad I could just ride indoors. However I can't get on my bike even on the sationary stand without my anxiety going through the roof.

So I decided to get some work out videos but I really don't know where to start. My sister did insanity and she had amazing results and quick, but I don't know if I could even do half of that anymore, even with my past I can't even touch my toes anymore, I can't even grab my ankles. My long term goal is loose 87lbs, my short term goal is to start and stick to a workout and healthy eating routine for 30days.

help?

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Heya, and welcome. I'm sorry about your accident :( I also put on my first big chunk of weight after a car crash so I know how that goes.

So, you have a DVD player - do you have a SmartTV or Chromecast etc to play online videos on your TV? I ask because there are quite a few websites and youtube channels now that have totally free workouts - even some that are normally sold like Jillian Michaels' stuff. So if you even just have a tablet and that works for you, do a search here for threads like 'workout video' or 'online workout' etc, there are quite a few recent topics where the list is posted. And all of those are free.
    -
    If it's gonna be DVDs, check out collagevideo.com. I'm not sure how they stack up as far as price comparison, but what they do have is a wide selection, user reviews, and most importantly actual clips from the videos so you can really see what you're getting ie do you like the instructor's style? How about the music? So spend some time there, you can see what stuff is the most popular and just watch clips and read reviews. Make a list of what you're interested in and go check Craigslist, eBay and Freecycle.

Good luck!!

Oh and adding this: friend me if you like, I do video workouts at home and being injured I do lots of modifications on the moves so I'm always happy to help out where I can.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry all that happened to you. Here is a link to read. It sums up everything you need to start. Be sure to read all of the links that follow in the thread, it is full of great advice. I haven't read it in a while but I will add, you do not have to do rigorous exercise to lose weight. Focus on learning how to eat at a modest calorie deficit then begin adding what you can exercise wise. One hurdle at a time. Do what you enjoy whether is is taking a walk, swimming, hiking, weight training, yoga...if you dont enjoy it you wont do it! Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. here is the link, good luck!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    There are tons of free workouts out there. Look on youtube or fitnessblender or sparkpeople. You don't need a gym to lose weight.

Congrats on losing 18lbs. :flowerforyou:

If your not already, you might want to consider logging your food here. It's a great way to help make sure your eating enough (not to much / not to little).

Walking is actually a great starting point. That's what I started with. If you have a wii, why not try some of those dance games like Just Dance? They make an excellent Cardio workout. Or (it might be hard to find now) EA Active 2.0. I used EA Active/Just Dance/Dance Central (xbox kinect, but I know EA Active is available for wii) and had really nice results. The EA Active game has programs and with each program you get to pick from 3 difficulty levels to start at. If I remember correctly the easiest one starts with 20 min workouts and will slowly increase to around 30 mins by the end of the program. Oh and the programs are Cardio Kick Start and 9 Week Program or you can optionally build a custom workout. I miss it. :sad: (no longer have the Kinect)

• kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've already made a really good start. While nutritionally they may not be great choices, Ice cream make my diet work (especially no added sugar version, and some soft serves). Walking to the shop a mile away is great. The anxiety is normal, and while you could conquer it on your own or with "self-help". you may need some extra professional help. Depending on where you live, and what safe cycling options are available, it may not even be wise to conquer that fear - it may be completely realistic. It certainly is in some parts of Australia. Some drivers deliberately harass cyclists - even to the point of running them down :-(
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You've already started -- just by coming here and wanting to make a change! You've been through so much...be kind to yourself. You've already gotten a lot of great advice. As others have said, take one hurdle at a time. Even when you feel discouraged and want to give up, keep coming back here. This place has helped me immensely, just to keep my head in the game when my body doesn't want to cooperate. Hang in there...and check back often!
  • msncush
    msncush Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Megan,
    You start where you are and each and every day do what you can. Drink more water, walk up a hill. I started just walking laps around my house. I had a pocket of rocks in my pocket and each time I went past my starting point, I put a rock out. I kept adding more rocks. It really takes time to change what has happened to us. Someone hit my car and I ended up having 5 surgeries in 2 years. I lost a lung to cancer. You will get better and things do change for the better. Buy some small hand weights at Goodwill or a garage sale. Use a gallon jug of water. Small or large cans for weights. If you're going to do weights, you can choose to do a whole body workout 3 times a week or just do a different body part each day. Walk whenever you can. You can find workout plans online. Don't give up. You will get there.
    You can friend me and I can give you more details on working out. I work at a college and I am blessed that we can use the facilities for our use plus we have 2 instructor that work with us on workouts. I am pretty strong now, no-one wants to follow me in class because the weights are too heavy.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Minnie, We all start somewhere. Starting is the hardest part. You can do this. Start to walk, do the C25K program if you want to run. Just start. See how you do. One step is better than no steps with the couch. Once you get into it, you will notice results. My tips
    1. Start
    2. Have realistic expectations (you are going to have great days, average days, and downright horrible days). Realize that, prepare for them so you can learn and move on to your overall goals.
    3. Make small goals. Today I am going drink 64 oz of water, I am going to walk for 30 minutes, and I am going to eat to my calorie goal.

Read the link that @farfromthetree added.

Good luck. You can do this.
  • lollitakennedy
    lollitakennedy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Will the car insurance not cover a gym membership?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You have recovered heroically. My first goal would be to convince you that you are a wonderful person, a survivor.

My dad watched a similarly injured neighbour rehabilitate himself by daily going for a walk along our avenue, each day a little farther. In about a year the man rehabilitated himself to fit. My dad deeply admired that man.

I hear you about getting on that bike, at least I was very nervous (and awkward) when I was at my heaviest. When I was seventy-five pounds down I got on and lo and behold, I could do it! If the anxiety is related to the accident, that's another kettle of fish and you have my sympathy.

It's all about baby steps, slowly adding more activity. You will be so much more active a few months from now than you are today.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Meghan, I'm so sorry this happened to you.

If you keep up with the focus you've shown so far, you are going to do great. DVDs are a super cost effective and often effective way to get fit. I used them for 25 lbs of a 50 lb loss :)

I personally think your instinct to stay away from impact is a good one, at least until you're a bit closer to your goal weight, just to make sure your joints will take you all the way to where you want to go. Keep walking, it's safe and really can be effective (as you've proved).

Collage Video is definitely a good resource - you can filter for impact level, cardio vs. toning, upper vs. lower body focus, and the reviews are involved. I also recommend Jillian Michael's DVDs, especially No More Trouble Zones (it's mostly low impact and easy to modify where it isn't). You can start with little weights and go as heavy as you like. I liked her empowering style, too.

Some of the BeachBody videos, which I haven't tried, are similar ("metabolic" in style, some resistance) - I think ChaLEAN is one, there are a few others, I think. Resistance training will keep you firm as you lose.

I don't know if therapy is available to you, given your bills, but if biking is important to you, it might be worth facing those fears. But it would be understandable if you wanted to steer clear of it for a while and I think it'd be totally fine. (I was rear ended by a semi while merging over 15 years ago and I still freak out, so I avoid highways, and my life is totally ok without merging onto highways, I just find ways around it.)

If you can't afford therapy and do want to try biking, maybe, with the support of friends, you could walk your bike (on the sidewalk) to a bike trail in a park, where there are no cars?

You are amazing for fighting for this and for choosing full participation in life instead of letting bad luck keep you down.

Best of luck, and see you around here :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    yeah, as someone said, these first few weeks are going to be tough, just be prepared. Don't compare your progress to what you used to be able to do. You've got a different body now, so it will take a bit of time. But not that long!

I did Jillian Michaels, who I think advocated daily workouts, but when I first started, my recovery was BAD. I was in agony. And I don't think I actually made it through every exercise of the whole video until the second week. So it was more like every 3 days for the first two weeks, and I still made progress with strength and weight lost. By week 3, I think I was able to do it every other day. Just an example of what to expect. Maybe you could start with something like that, every 3 days, with walking in between.
  • jglovicz
    jglovicz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Your public library will likely have workout DVDs available (and membership is free)! I'm so sorry about your accident - good luck!
  • minnieplus
    Options
    Thank you all for your overwhelming support. I have convinced my husband to buy me some more videogames geared toward fitness for Christmas (hello just dance and zumba!). As far as the car insurance paying for a gym membership, for starters the driver didn't have insurance but the cycling community here raised a little over one hundred thousand to help with the hospital bills. However I had one major surgery and three minor surgeries, plus rehab for five years, while I have a good health insurance even with our personal coverage I am still swimming in hospital bills. Not to mention that we have been living solely off my husband’s salary and race winnings for six years. I never made a killing racing and teaching yoga but something is better nothing.

I have started writing down everything I consume in my planner to transfer here whenever I get a chance and I have taken all of your advice to heart. I have already started to bookmark some free work out videos and have started to research some DVD’s to invest in. We have a small weight set and a kettle bell.

I will take it slow but I plan on pushing myself, but rehab has taught me how to listen to my body. I know when it’s screaming for me to stop and when it’s cheering me on. I know the rules for good health I used to be the picture of a healthy active lifestyle, which is also a bit hard for me, all of my friends are very active and healthy and they don’t quite understand why I can’t just go on five mile hikes with them anymore. As soon as I no longer had to use a cane and was cleared by my doctor they just expected me to get back on my bike and ride 120 miles every weekend like I used to.

The bike thing is definitely psychological. I plan on seeing a therapist when we tackle a couple of the more daunting bills we have left. I miss riding and I miss racing but even if I was in the best shape of my life I don’t know if I will be able to be that person anymore, and honestly I am okay with that. I am not that person anymore but the person I am now is pretty cool and I am excited to be as happy with the person I am on the outside that I am on the inside.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    holy crap this sounds like me. I was an assistant track coach and avid runner and was hit by an 18 wheeler and ended up in therapy for 4 years, relearning to walk and all that jazz.

I had to start by putting in a couple years just walking and doing pilates - but i steadily increased my abilities by sticking with it, no matter what, for the long run. Now I turned my tragedy into a victory that's blown my mind - and I'm now addicted to Tough Mudder and being in the weight room.

But it takes a long time to come back, and there will always be pain and there will always be things that go wrong with our body that we just have to suck up and compensate for. And it's worth it, when you fight long enough to come out on the other side - where you're an athlete again.

Add me if you ever want someone to commiserate with and talk shop!
  • honeybunch656
    honeybunch656 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Welcome I'm here to support and motivate you all add me if you would like to.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :)
    Sorry to hear about your accident but you are clearly a survivor and a very strong woman at that. Please don't beat yourself up over gaining weight, you are a human being and something as traumatic as that - it's inevitable that calorie counting is going to take a back-seat. Know this, This is NOT your fault and you can change the situation. Congratulations on your 18lb loss, that's such an inspirational and incredible amount. It sounds like you are doing all the right things already so my advice to you would be to carry on as you are. Do exercises you can physically manage and enjoy. You don't need a gym for exercise and you've proved that.

There are thousands of online 'at home' work-out plans available that you can print off for free. I've planned my work outs around the things I find online. Pinterest is brilliant for these too. A simple google search will bring up so many options and from that, you can design your own 'at home' plan.

Wishing you the best of luck and remember, MFP is a fantastic tool to staying on track! Remember, you're already a survivor - have faith and you can achieve!