How many Eggs a week??

Options
chels1605
chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
I just read research that people looking to loose weight should try an egg a day.... but past research suggested it was bad for you to have one a day...

Any thoughts?

Replies

• JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I think any natural food is good. Science always goes back and forth on eggs. I often have an omelette to begin the day. Will slip in a hard boiled egg to salads ot tuna fish. It is protien and that is what is important to me.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    As far as I know past research is crap ;-) I know that egg yolks have a lot of cholesterol and a significant amount of fat is in whole eggs for the amount of protein you get. Eggs are great for me because they keep me away from the sugary, carb laden snacks/breakfast foods that I would normally want to grab. Hard Boiled eggs are an easy treat to grab on the go and keep me pretty full. I would say eat as many as you want just keep an eye on your cholesterol. I sometimes eat 12 in a week and my levels have been totally fine. I think staying fit and active is the key, so eat those eggs girl!!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    eggs are the almost perfect food!
    I used to eat like 4-6 boiled whole eggs a day....now I do like 2 a week and as much egg white as I like....
  • unicorn19girl
    unicorn19girl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat two eggs for breakfast at least four times a week and have continued to lose...also had my cholesterol checked two weeks ago and my numbers were perfect. I say incorporate them for sure!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I read a normal adult should only have 7-8 a week. You should try to add egg whites to your diet to cut down on the cholesterol.
    http://www.ask.com/ans?q=How+many+eggs+can+you+eat+in+a+week&qsrc=2987&o=15732&l=dir
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The past research said no to a lot of eggs because of cholesterol. But, now they are saying that the good cholesterol outways the bad in egg yolks. I have been told no more than 2/day and I usually eat 2/day Mon-Fri and sometimes only one or none on the weekends.
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i have an egg most mornings and sometimes at lunchtime too..... am losing
  • Dlpsweet
    Dlpsweet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have one whole egg and one egg white for breakfast at least 3x/wk...helps me through the morning rush with out being hungry and it gives me some of the protein I need to replenish what I used at the gym.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Everything that I've ever heard (regarding recent research) is that you can eat as many as you want, provided you do not already have an issue with cholesterol. I eat probably 8-12 full eggs per week with an addition 6-10 egg whites. The nutrients in the egg yolks are extremely beneficial. If you don't currently have an cholesterol problems I wouldn't worry about how many you eat.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I have several.

3 egg whites and 1 egg yolk bacon/chesse omelettes ROCK!!

3 egg whites and 1 egg yolk hard boiled, mashed on a plate with a little balsamic vineger and salt and pepper to taste.\

2 fried eggs in PAM

1 hard boiled egg white in lean chicken salad.

1 hard boiled egg sliced in any green salad

etc...

Eat your eggs they are good for you and a great source of protein. :happy:
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    I eat like 3 whole eggs a day. That's just the raw eggs in my shakes lol. A couple days a week I'll have like 4 eggs and a steak.

The research says that theyve found nothing to prove the cholesterol in food attatches itself to the blood, thus not being the cause of high cholesterol. Plus cholesterol is good! Promotes testosterone production which means muscle recovery and growth.

Also, if you're just eating the whites you're missing out on half of the egg's nutritional value.
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    Also, if you're just eating the whites you're missing out on half of the egg's nutritional value.

And triple the calories...
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

Aww c'mon, at 70 calories per egg you can eat the whole thing!

I still vote for a balance, I typically eat 2 whole eggs and 2 whites for breakfast... it's a HUGE amount of food all for until 200 calories. Win/win?
  • ZachyABaby
    Options

Lol o rly?

Unless you're not eating your workout calories or just really careless in your planning that shouldn't be a problem.
  • ZebraHead
    Options

Lol o rly?

Unless you're not eating your workout calories or just really careless in your planning that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for sorting that out for me....
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    Why u mad bro? Lol

Hey, apparently you needed help if you're sweating the yolk calories bro.
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    <~~ Not mad. Didn't say I was 'sweating' the calories. Just choosy where I spend them.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I go through 28 eggs per week. 4 per day. But I only use 1 or 2 yolks per day (and usually 3 on the weekends).

Like mentioned in above posts, I believe the past research about avoid egg yolks has been debunked. My dietitian friend says 2 (whole) eggs a day is great. My cousin, a body builder, eats 6 whole eggs per day.

Eat as many or as few as you want as long as you're hitting your overall goals for each day.

Yum yum yum, hooray for eggs!
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    I eat 6 egg whites almost every morning (42 egg whites a week) which provides 102 calories and 22 grams of protein. I don't eat the yellow because I don't like the taste of the yellow. To spice it up I may add feta and pepperoncini or 2% cheese or just hot sauce to give variety. Broccoli or cooked spinach is good in it as well.

Eggs are a good source of Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Protein and Selenium.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm not super fond of the yolk either so I eat 3-5 egg whites and 1 whole egg (because I know I need some fat in my breakfast) almost everyday. I love eggs and I'm constantly looking for new things to try with them. My cholesterol is on the low side of perfect so I'm thinking they aren't hurting me there.