Lifting period

Options
AnthonyThrashD
AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
How long should a weight lifting session be for a beginner?

63227838.png

Replies

• AnthonyThrashD
    Options
    Thanks peanutbuttu :)

63227838.png
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It depends on the program and the individual's goals.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    It depends on the program and the individual's goals.
    This, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 90 minutes, what program are you doing?
  • AnthonyThrashD
    Options
    Today was my first day, a PT had me do dumbbell curls, forward dumbbell raises, side dumbbell raises, military presses and some crunches

It took about 40 minutes

63227838.png
  • jshane
    jshane Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When you say beginner, I assume you mean less than 6 months. During that time I would focus on compound movements that use multiple joints. Lifts such as squats, bench presses, deadlifts, overhead (or shoulder) presses, and rows will work all the major muscle groups (commonly referred to as the "Big Five"). Also, it will build a base for you to add to later. In addition to these, I would suggest pushups and pullups. A full body workout (2-3 sets of 8-12 reps each) should take 30-45 minutes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day, a PT had me do dumbbell curls, forward dumbbell raises, side dumbbell raises, military presses and some crunches

It took about 40 minutes

63227838.png
    That sounds... disjointed.

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

It took about 40 minutes

63227838.png

Yeah, if you're not switching over to more full body exercises shortly, you're wasting time and effort.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

It took about 40 minutes

63227838.png

That's a nice way of putting it. I've never heard of a routine that only targets small muscle groups like that - with the exception of the military press/OHP, I would consider all of that accessory work and largely unnecessary for a beginner. If you're doing the big compound lifts, you're working biceps, shoulders, and abs as stabilizing/accessory muscles while still hitting the large muscle groups, which is where most of your payoff will come from.

I would say a good compound lifting program would take about 60 min in the beginning and closer to 90 min with progressive loading due to the need for more warm-up sets and longer rest periods in between sets.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    Options
    I looked at squats and rows videos, not sure I can do those, it would have to be super light weight. I had two hernias repaired not too long ago, and I have chronic back problems from an old injury. The whole full body big muscle groups and compound joint stuff makes sense to me. I'm not sure I can do it. Maybe lifting isn't for me :(

Thanks all for your time and insight :)

63227838.png
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I set my timer for 60 mins and in that time I manage to do my full body workout, I only lift 3 times a week. I'm a beginner also. I try to keep it simple. Oh and I'm one of those nerds who brings a writing pad to record my lifts. I find it easier when I can flip a page to see how much weight I used before.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    NotGnarly wrote: »
    I set my timer for 60 mins and in that time I manage to do my full body workout, I only lift 3 times a week. I'm a beginner also. I try to keep it simple. Oh and I'm one of those nerds who brings a writing pad to record my lifts. I find it easier when I can flip a page to see how much weight I used before.

I carry a notepad too, all blinged up by my daughter. Some days are 45 minutes to an hour. Some are an hour and 15 minutes. 4 days a week usually.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I looked at squats and rows videos, not sure I can do those, it would have to be super light weight. I had two hernias repaired not too long ago, and I have chronic back problems from an old injury. The whole full body big muscle groups and compound joint stuff makes sense to me. I'm not sure I can do it. Maybe lifting isn't for me :(

63227838.png

Some lifting is always better than nothing. Maybe a progressive body weight program would be better with your previous injuries.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options

63227838.png

Nothing wrong with starting off at a lighter weight. Take your time and go at your own pace.