Question about step counters, can anyone help???

Options
Rikuya
Rikuya Posts: 15 Member
I was wondering on what y'all opinions are on the reliability of the step counter (motion censer dodad) built into the iPhone 6??? Because that's all I am currently using. I am thinking about saving up for a Fitbit (and it's awesome that it'll sync MFP) but if the iPhone is reliable then I can put that off for a but. Thoughts?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't have the iPhone 6 but the one in my Android phone is pretty reliable. If you don't get any replies, I'd suggest taking a walk while holding your phone and see if the step count is matching up to the steps you're taking. Also, if there's personal information you need to enter for the app to work properly, make sure that's all correct.
  • Rikuya
    Options
    Thanks. It doesn't seem to work if I hold (probably because I was holding it level so I could see it) but if I keep it in my pocket and then look at it you can tell it's counted. I'll try to do the mental step count and compare to what shows up on my phone again.
  • momof2wifeof1
    momof2wifeof1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I splurged and bought an expensive FitBit and it fell off my wrist never to be found again. I have the iPhone 6 w/beltclip and have been thinking about another FitBit but would rather spend the money elsewhere if the iPhone is reliable. I thought that the FitBit was pretty reliable and I liked that I didn't have to take it off unless I wanted to for personal reasons or to charge it. I get concerned that if I don't clip on my phone, I would 'miss' steps or if I sat it down and forgot to clip it back on. I suppose it all depends on your level of active involvement. The best thing to me about the wristband FitBit was that I didn't have to 'think' about it. Worse thing-slipped off my wrist too easily w/o me realizing it. I had started sleeping with it to track my sleep, but still haven't found it. HTH!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well, it depends what you want it for.

If you want it to see how active (step-wise) you are: then the phone is just as good as the FitBit. They both count steps. The FitBit one will record your sleep, count the flights of stairs you climb, give you stats about miles walked, steps taken, stairs climbed, etc.. I'm not sure if the phone has all of those because I don't have the phone (I do have a FitBit).

If you want it for a calorie burn: then neither is really great. Yeah, the FitBit is in the ballpark, but it still isn't 100% accurate. Like TDEE calculators, MFP, etc., there is some margin of error when it comes to calories burned since they all just use an equation.

Honestly, if you're just looking to see how many steps you take during the day, I'd save the money and not buy the FitBit (unless you notice the pedometer feature draining your phone's battery).
  • ashbash121
    ashbash121 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit! I think it is worth the money!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My iPhone pops itself in to another mode and then I Iose all those steps. I love my fitbit zip and it does all I want it to do.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Now, the fitness apps I do use include the IntervalTimer and MapMyRide.
  • JonathanLepoff
    JonathanLepoff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    you can get a blue tooth enabled heart rate monitor transmitter strap and use your i phone like a heart rate monitor
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have the basic Omron Pedometer that I carry in my pocket. Not sure how "accurate" it truly is, but it gives me a good idea of what I'm doing. My daughter uses the app on her iPhone (she has the 5S) and likes it - but if she's not carrying her phone in her pocket or bag, obviously it doesn't register...
  • Rikuya
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I am looking into that FitBit Zip. The only problem I have with my iPhone is that it only works in my pants pocket. If I put it in my jacket pocket (where I usually keep it) it won't register and I don't particularly like that.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit

used the flex (more expensive) for 4 months and found it accurate and motivational

downgraded to the zip (much cheaper) cos I wanted to wear bracelets and you can clip the zip to a waistband or bra

I think the point I'm making is you don't need all-singing, all-dancing one - you can go for the cheapest on the market

(I don't think phone based app pedometers are accurate - but they're better than nothing (and so would be a cheapo pedometer you could pick up anywhere for a few bucks
  • cranden
    cranden Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit too....totally work the money. I use the flex and it seems super accurate.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Momof2wifeof1 you can get a bit belt from etsy to secure your Fitbit if you decide to get another one. They look pretty nifty.