Does anyone else do night hiking?

Options
Just wondered if anyone has tried night hiking. I'm enjoying it, sometimes with my husband but mostly with a group.

Replies

• flowrgal23
    flowrgal23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of hiking at night around my farm in the country. Very peaceful, and now that we have snow, I've been cross-country skiing.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I do it often when setting up (in the we-hours of the early morning) or leaving (in the late evening) when hunting. I just love watching the sun come up and go down whether I am alone or get to share it.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It's great, isn't it! A whole different feeling, being outside at night, sometimes in the snow or just in the cold.
  • jessi_can
    jessi_can Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to walk in the evening but there is now snow and ice here which feels like a hike! I use MapMyWalk. Please feel free to add me :)
  • librarydebster
    Options
    I walk in a group. There's often a dozen of us or more so I feel safe. It's great being in the woods with headlamps. A totally different way to experience nature and get fun exercise.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Not on purpose. Set out late once in the Annapurnas. Not my brightest moment. Or rather, long series of scary and very stupid-feeling moments :smile:
  • BrandyStinnett
    BrandyStinnett Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy it too. Especially when there is a few inches of snow on the ground.
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I do it a couple of times a year, usually at the end of the season when its sizzling hot during the day. Best by the light of a full moon :-)
  • librarydebster
    Options
    We use headlamps. I know what u mean about feeling uneasy ViolaLee. The first time my hubby and I tried it alone it felt a bit eerie but mostly I go with a group.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Not sure where you hike, but that was in the Himalayas (Annapurna range), and this particular area was off the standard trekking route and surprised us by having no villages (and no marked trail), so we were walking on scree along cliff faces in the dark. For hours. I knew my husband could make a fire and shelter and all, but if one of us had fallen, the fact that he's Mr. Guy Who Knows Stuff wouldn't have helped :smile: Finally managed to find the village we'd been going to (which had clearly been, uh, further than expected) and had a nice beer LOL while all the villagers were saying, "What, you came at NIGHT?!?" So it's funny in retrospect, but was a genuinely serious situation. I wouldn't propose trying it again!
  • librarydebster
    Options
    Wow. That sounds treacherous. There are some trails I wouldn't do at night. I have done one that had steep hills and roots and rocks to dodge, and some mud.