Could sugar be the culprit??

Options
TonysMiss
TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
I have been following my diet fairly good =) Most days good but have a few not so good..... I’m exercising some; again some days better than others but what I'm wondering is.... MFP didn't have "sugar" listed on my food diary so I added it out of curiosity and guess what......I'M WAYYYYYY OVER judging by what I see for today which in turn would mean I'm over every single day!! Could this be one of the reasons I'm not loosing? It seems to me the logical answer would be yes because I know sugar is turned into carbs and stored as fat. I'm basing my "overage" on what I have read so far which is sugar grams should be somewhere between 30-40 per day depending on the person size, weight, activity........ so on. I don't know if this is all actually true because it's all stuff I have read on the internet but it seems to be consistent. Any words of advise?
I'm 37 yo female, 5' 5" and 162 lbs. I want to be at 140.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    or carb intake? Fat shredding takes place at the 50/30/20 protein/carbs/fats ratio.
  • Tracenspace
    Tracenspace Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but your post prompted me to change my diary as well and I am shocked! I am way over on sugar and I've cut out so much of it already!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You get to choose what you want to monitor. If you use the app through your cell phone, you get to monitor more things than the online version. If you are getting your sugars from fresh fruits it is different than getting it from cereals, processed/packaged foods, yogurt etc... Sugar, sodium and carbs can be a reall killer when it comes to losing weight. Try to adjust how much sugar you have in your daily diet and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes it takes a week or two for your body to catch on. Hang in there.
  • mamma3monkeys
    Options
    Sugar from natural foods like fruit, vegetables, etc are FINE. I go over my limit all the time and it's worse when I'm working out because I double the amount of fruit and carb before my workout and may eat an extra snack at night of fruit and protein if I workout after dinner. I think the sugar you need to look out for is what you don't get naturally. Also if you feel you need to work on this - try going for fruit that has less sugar per servings. For instance, a peach over a nectarine. Pineapple instead of grapes, berries and strawberries instead of watermelon - those are some instances anyways. I know carrots are naturally high in sugar so maybe use them as treat :) HTH
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    A good rule is to always have your protein intake higher then your carbs.. By cutting back your carbs you will also cut back your sugar alot as well. I try to get like 140 in protein a day and less then 75 carbs, that pretty much keeps my sugar in the 20- 30 range.
  • lblavoie
    lblavoie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow! This just made me check my sugars and I'm way over. I have a lot from fruit, which is fine, but my yogurt has like 32 grams of sugar and it makes me go over. I wonder if that makes a difference with weight loss?! I'm interested to find out!
  • TonysMiss
    Options
    Yeah, I know that the natural sugars are not as much of a concern but anything that is "added" to the food. I should have put that in the original post. Sowwy = ) I went to where I keep my food at my office and just threw away what was left of 2 boxes of cereal and my low fat peanut butter. I'll at least go for the natural stuff if I want it bad enough! Thinking I better take another look at what I'm really eating. For me its not all about calories and fat....I want to be HEALTHY. I could easily stay at the 1200 range and eat nothing but crap. That's not what I want, I want to make healthy food choices and hopefully reap the benefit by loosing a few pounds! (okay more like 20-25 pounds) ;-)
  • TonysMiss
    Options
    A good rule is to always have your protein intake higher then your carbs.. By cutting back your carbs you will also cut back your sugar alot as well. I try to get like 140 in protein a day and less then 75 carbs, that pretty much keeps my sugar in the 20- 30 range.
    Thank you Jamie = )
  • Strelok2500
    Strelok2500 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't get what is with people adhering to this unproven myth that natural sugars are such a magnitude better and should be of no concern. The source that you get natural sugars from would most likely be better (an apple is better than a coke), but if we compare 50g of fructose from apples and 50g of fructose from a certain portion of coca-cola, in terms of how it affects your weight, I see no evidence that there is a difference that is relevant in this context.