Fage "Once opened consume within 5 days" - Really?

Options
Hey Greek yogurt experts out there! Fage Greek yogurt has a massively long expiration date, but on the package it says "Once opened consume within 5 days". Why is this? Other Greek yogurt brands such as Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt do not have this "Once opened consume within 5 days" verbiage. I really like Fage, but in some cases I may not eat a massive tub within 5 days so the Dannon may keep better. Can this "5 day" rule be ignored? Thanks!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I doubt it is dangerous, but it does begin to separate.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I only eat plain Greek yogurt once a week (have the flavored cups every other day) and have had no problems
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I most certainly haven't done this and haven't noticed any issue.
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I leave it for ages. Not dead yet.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yogurt lasts forever (within reason).

• nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Food spoils within several days once opened and exposed to oxygen. It causes oxidation as well as encourages the growth of microorganisms. You can have something last for days after the expiry date IF it hasn't been opened. It can spoil once opened even before the expiry date comes.
    This is why they have to have a label.

That being said, I literally have yoghurt in the fridge for a week and a half and nothing happens other than water separating from the yoghurt. But always give it a whiff first just to be safe :P
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hummus says the same thing, but I keep it in the fridge for awhile.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Same thing with Kroger Break Free Egg Product... "consume within 7 days of opening"... I of course did not see this warning until I had already eaten it 10-15 days or more after opening it a bunch of times and have never had a problem... that said maybe there is a reason to take the warning more seriously for egg product?

Now of course I generally do finish it within 7 days since I know it says that because idk.

Anyway I think common sense will save us all... when in doubt throw it out... if it has a smell send it to hell... if something grows away it goes.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Opened Fage lasts a long time! Just stir in the liquid (whey) that gets separated and eat up! Yum! Best Greek yogurt ever!
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Food spoils within several days once opened and exposed to oxygen. It causes oxidation as well as encourages the growth of microorganisms. You can have something last for days after the expiry date IF it hasn't been opened. It can spoil once opened even before the expiry date comes.
    This is why they have to have a label.

That being said, I literally have yoghurt in the fridge for a week and a half and nothing happens other than water separating from the yoghurt. But always give it a whiff first just to be safe :P

This!
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    all yoghurt/milk/etc tends to say "drink/eat within 5 days of opening". as long as it smells/tastes ok, it isn't an issue. companies always overestimate best-before dates etc so that they can't be held liable if you don't keep it cool enough and it does go off after a few days. I drink long-life soy or almond milk and that says to use within 4-5 days of opening and sometimes they last me 2 weeks...
  • Terrappyn1
    Terrappyn1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Agree with most on here- If it smells right then in the mouth it goes! hmmmm....
    -
  • natebollinger
    natebollinger Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Just ignore the date and eat it. No one lives forever.

Thanks so much for all of your comments! ^ This one got me rolling! ^ :-) Now I can keep eating my delicious Fage Greek yogurt!