Weekends

Options
So, I have a dilemma, I can't seem to keep discipline over the weekends. I have a very routine weekday schedule so it is much easier to stay disciplined on what I eat.

I am young and I enjoy going out on the town. I have friends who invite me out and I really don't want to be that guy who turns down a night out because I am watching what I eat/consume. I am very good with out of sight out of mind but when I am out I basically lose all discipline.

I am curious if any of you have a good way of mitigating this temptation or do I just need to avoid going out for 2-3 months? Sigh.

Let me know.

Replies

• susyseq
    susyseq Posts: 94
    Options
    I have the same problem. Weekends are very tempting since my hubby and I go out to eat and to family events where there is always a lot of food. I always tell myself "oh well I'll be good starting Monday"
    If you have any tips on how to handle it, let me know! :ohwell:
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    me too?!?!?!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    Here's what I do....I make sure 2 out of the 3 meals of the day are "normal" when I go out. I make sure that if I'm going to drink, I plan it in advance, or else I drink water. And I share a meal with my husband. I also try to just have a plan in my head. Oh, and I exercise extra too.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    same here! :/ don't really have much advice though besides trying to avoid situations you know you will crash on, or to bring a snack with you (sometimes this helps such as going to the movies, etc),.....but I always seem to give into temptation when I am with friends...idk...
  • jessers26
    jessers26 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Same problem!!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I think the key for people like us to get the weight loss to stick is learning how to be in situations like this and to not ruin our health, as opposed to completely avoiding them. Things like:

1. Setting a drink limit per night and per week before you get out and sticking to it.
    2. Saying no to eating after dinner
    3. Being able to go out and have fun and not drink when needed.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ha I to have this issue.I try to find out what and where were eating then I skip apertizers and plan my meal before I go.its so easy for me to not stick to my usual food,and just because your out dosent mean it all goes to hell.:bigsmile:
  • disneymom94
    disneymom94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize too. I do have a much more structured work week so the weekends seem very tempting. I have learned it is okay to go out but be very aware of what choices you are making. I will look at a menu ahead of going out to eat. I try to make a healthier choice without feeling like I am "losing out" on anything. If I have a drink, I follow it with a large glass of water sipped slowly. This helps to fill me up and cut down on the useless calories I could have been consuming. Bottom line, it is possible with a little practice and persistence. Just know that you will have to exercise a whole lot more if you want to burn off the junk that is going in on the weekends :-)
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    What I have done which it seems to work for me on weekends is that if I know that I will be going out to eat on a particular day I look up the "healthier" options on the menu even before going out to eat. Alot of times I will tell my husband that I want to go to a particular place because I have already looked it up and know exactly what I would order. Also, if you have a party or family gathering that you need to go to that there is going to be food at make what you want to eat and bring it to the party. Say for instance I made a healthy dip to take to a family gathering recently I only ate that because I knew what was in it and how much I could eat and still be in my calories for the day. Also, when I go out I look for the "skinny" drinks. For instance most places are now coming out with a skinny margarita or other skinny drinks, I absolutely love this because they typically have only 100 calories. Also, if you like beer drink the light beer. And something else that you can try is that if you know that you are going out and are going to be eating/drinking whatever you want then just work out extra harder that day so that you have a little more calories to play with. For instance if you know you are going out work out 1 hour more, thus giving you more excerise calories to eat back giving you a cushion instead of wrecking your diet for the day.

Hope this helps!
  • westo22
    westo22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies, however most of the solutions is having a "plan". Most of the time, I do not know where I am going as we are going out just to go out. : )

As for ordering the "healthy" option on the menu, I simply do not possess the discipline (yet) to order those when I smell all the other delicious foods I could be eating.

The most success I get on the weekends are the weekends where I work out in the mornings. This weekend I am going to try to get in a good workout in the morning and before I go out smash a solid amount of fruits and veges into my face. I don't know how this will hold up if anyone I'm with orders any hot snack food... its basically the gateway to failing the night.

Still open for more ideas!!
  • hellaamber
    hellaamber Posts: 12
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm in the exact same boat! And being 24, I'm always surrounded with others in bar/party mode.

To save calories (AND money), this is what i try to do:
    1. I try to only letting myself go out one night during the weekend. I usually do Saturdays since its easier not to spoil Fridays.
    2. Since alcohol is a BIG calorie consumer, so I also started being sober driver more often. That way I don't consume all the empty calories, and don't have to miss out on having fun. Plus my friends love it! hehe
    3. Try having friends over to your place and offer to make dinner. That way you know exactly what your eating and you can still be social.
    4. When i eat out, I try to only eat half of my entree and save the rest in a doggy bag.
    5. also i look ahead at the menu if i eat out, that way i can plan ahead and have no (well, less) surprises.
    5. this one I call it "earning my booze". Last saturday was a big wine festival in my hometown, which i knew was gonna be a splurge day. So I woke up early and did a hard workout. After I logged in my calories for the day, I actually only went over by 200 calories! Don't beat yourself up, it's okay to splurge once in a while. Take a look at your weekly summary too, that helps keep it in perspective.

hope this helps :)

Amber
  • westo22
    westo22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm in the exact same boat! And being 24, I'm always surrounded with others in bar/party mode.

To save calories (AND money), this is what i try to do:
    1. I try to only letting myself go out one night during the weekend. I usually do Saturdays since its easier not to spoil Fridays.
    2. Since alcohol is a BIG calorie consumer, so I also started being sober driver more often. That way I don't consume all the empty calories, and don't have to miss out on having fun. Plus my friends love it! hehe
    3. Try having friends over to your place and offer to make dinner. That way you know exactly what your eating and you can still be social.
    4. When i eat out, I try to only eat half of my entree and save the rest in a doggy bag.
    5. also i look ahead at the menu if i eat out, that way i can plan ahead and have no (well, less) surprises.
    5. this one I call it "earning my booze". Last saturday was a big wine festival in my hometown, which i knew was gonna be a splurge day. So I woke up early and did a hard workout. After I logged in my calories for the day, I actually only went over by 200 calories! Don't beat yourself up, it's okay to splurge once in a while. Take a look at your weekly summary too, that helps keep it in perspective.

hope this helps :)

Amber

Ya, I think building up a calorie buffer and only going out one night on the weekend will help a lot. As for being the sober DD and packing up half my entree chances are slim to none. : )

Thanks for the tips.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you know where you're going out to eat, and haven't eaten there before, see if they have their menu and nutrition info online. If they do, plan what you're going to eat beforehand so you'll have an idea of how many calories you'll be eating. If you do have to make choices, make healthier ones. If there are super large entrees, eat half and take the rest home. Most of this is common sense. I know it's harder for guys than for girls to eat "like they are on a diet" when out with friends, but do you have to do for you.

As far as drinking, have a glass of water in between, or with, each drink. Not only will it help to fight the dehydrating effects of alcohol, you'll drink half as much. I always order a glass when I order my first drink (a Bud Light and a glass of water, please!) and the bartender will usually keep it full for me all night. If you're not a beer drinker, stick to non-calorie mixers with clear liquors. A flavored vodka and diet coke has only about 70 calories. Get a single shot in a pint glass with the mixer and it'll last longer, too.

There's no need to be a shut in, but when you go hang with your friends, just watch what you're eating and drinking and you won't ruin your plan.
  • southernbelle39
    Options
    I've been going through the same thing. I feel like I do so well during the weekdays and when the weekend comes I've lost what I worked for during the week. My best advice is just to work out during the weekends. When you do go out to get food just try to get a veggie as a side because if you look at the calorie and fat counts in a lot of the meals, the healthy ones aren't as healthy as they want you to think. When drinking, I try to limit myself and instead of getting mixed drinks with sodas, sweet & sour mix, etc I've been trying to order drinks with juice.

Hope this helps
  • hellaamber
    hellaamber Posts: 12
    Options
    haha well sounds like your not ready to commit, man. good luck!
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to go out on the weekend... or if I just want to throw a few back .... i'll get a rigorous work-out in in the morning and make sure to eat healthy all day. When I go out, I just resort to diet soda's and my choice of alcohol or light beers (that's a a toughy to keep track of...) And as for food if everyone gets pizza and wings, I'll have some wings and munch on the celery. As soon as you say that you CAN'T have something... you'll want it more than ever!!
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Or get REALLY stuffed before you go on fibrous and protein packed foods... just keep it liquid ;-) And I'm not a nutritionist so I can tell you cooky things like that! haha!!
  • aoifebr
    aoifebr Posts: 92
    Options
    Know exactly what you mean - a few weeks ago I started getting up earlier (the bloody sun was shining in my eyes it woke me up I promise!!) I used the time to exercise & amazingly not only did I feel great but my appetite changed & my body kept my eating / drinking in moderation - plus you "earn" those extra calories!! Give it a go...
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Look at the message boards about zig-zagging your calories, where basically, you add up your daily calories and multiply by 7, then divide it so as you have less in the week and more at the weekend?
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I spent the whole of 2010 being 'good' during the week and overeating every single weekend.

I actually put on weight this way!!! (which doesn't seem to be the case for you OP - which is good)

Since joining MFP I have made a few changes and sadly it does mean I don't go out as much - eating out a few times a week - plus drinking wine with dinner had to stop....

I try to limit myself to drinking one night per week and I opt for vodka and a mixer as opposed to wine!

When I do eat out I try to follow a few rules
    * I never have 3 courses (usually just a small main, and a nibble of someone else's dessert)
    * I drink lots of water with dinner
    * When at all possible I opt for children's portions / have a starter as a main
    * I stick to tomato based sauces with Italian / Indian cuisine
    * I avoid having bread on the side - same with fries
    * I work-out extra on days I know I am eating out
    * I try to suggest places that do have healthy options
    * If I go to the cinema I take my own snacks
    * If we are going out for drinks I eat before I go so I am less tempted to snack

Your social life doesn't have to stop but it does need to change a little and there is no sense in making short term changes. If you don't go out for a few months and lose weight but then go back to your old ways you'll simply put the weight BACK on.

As someone else sugeested offer to have people round to cook occasionally so you can control what you eat.

Try to do things that do not involve eating / drinking (ice-skating, badminton, swimming, visit some galleries / museums, go to a comedy club) with your friends.