Working Mom with Lots to Lose! :)

Options
Hello, MFP Community! My name is Kelly and I'm a wife and working mother of five amazing little people. I exercise at home to DVDs and am marginal at eating good (I usually stay within my calorie goal but don't make the best choices). I would love to add additional working moms as friends and am sharing my story as an introduction. ;)

I am 5' 9" and started my journey at 247 pounds back in early 2012. I successfully lost nearly 50 pounds in the spring of 2012. My progress was derailed, however, when my beloved mother was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. She was initially told she had just weeks to live, but she was a fighter and prevailed for almost six months. I became mom's primary caregiver and was completely overwhelmed as I juggled my husband, my five kids, my career and my mother's care. Every minute of the juggle was worth it because I had the chance to serve my mom and the comfort of knowing she was well-cared-for.

Mom lost her battle just after midnight on Halloween in 2012. Having lost my dad suddenly to suicide when I was 22, I took her death hard, even though I had months to prepare for it. I struggled with deep depression for months and comforted myself with smoking (yes, the irony was severe) and food. I wound up regaining almost all of my weight loss and felt miserable.

I finally "came to" around the holidays this year and quit smoking. I also found a way to stop my middle-of-the-night binge eating. Now I'm back on track and am in a "no excuses" zone. With my body type, I do best with a mix of step aerobics and aerobics with weights. As I said before, I'm not the greatest eater in the world, but I log absolutely everything.

Well, this is probably the longest introduction in the history of MFP (can you tell I'm a talker?), so I will close with simply saying that I find a great deal of motivation in being accountable to my friends!!!

Replies

• andonsmama
    Options
    I am a working mother as well! We can do this!
    Sorry to hear about your mother. :(
    Feel free to add me :)
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi ks_mommaof5 I am a working mom of only one little boy. I am not sure where you are on your weight loss journey but I am looking for other working mom's for support and motivation. I have a lot of weight to lose. You can add me if you would like.

I am so sorry for your loss.
  • Amber52291
    Options
    I'm a working mom as well. I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. I lost my mother when I was 17 years old to colon cancer. It's one of the worst things anyone can experience. I'm here if you need to talk!! :blush:
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hello, I lost my Dad to diabetes in 2013, it was one of my motivators to get healthy. I am glad you are back on track. Add me as a friend if you want. :)
  • Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you got to spend those final says with your mom.

I don't work outside of the home, but I don't know anyone else that does step aerobics and could use the motivation and accountability!
  • Masonless
    Masonless Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom too and know the pain of loosing a parent. I eat my emotions. We can do this together. Feel free to add me. Happy Holidays to all.
  • Ellencas1974
    Ellencas1974 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mom... that is something no one is ever well prepared for no matte the notice!

I'm a working mom too (2 little ones). I've lost just about 50 lbs (lost about 15 before I started with MFP) and still have about 25 more to go. Feel free to add me!! The more support the better
  • LewisCenterMom
    LewisCenterMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi KS, so sorry to hear about your mom and that's GREAT that you are back on track and ready to feel good again. I just sent you a friend request! Let's do this thing! :)
  • sarstar1
    sarstar1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just joined fitness pal and am also a working mom. I am a first time mom to a wonderful 7 month girl. I am sorry to hear about your mother, my mom has a multitude of health problems too. I recently moved to Kansas City from Des Moines and am looking to make this a good new year with a good new job, hopefully a makeover, and weight loss. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Faithhopenlove
    Faithhopenlove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. Losing a parent is so hard, speaking from experience. Feel free to add me :)