How can I get more protien?

Options
I'm having a hard time hitting my protien goals daily. What are the best ways to get more protien in my diet? I don't have a problem with any foods..no allergies and love all foods (hence the reason I'm on MFP lol). Also, what's the best thing to eat before and after a workout? I've started p90x3 and trying not to break the bank.

Thanks in advance :smiley:

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're having protein at every meal. Swap out lower protein snacks for higher protein ones. There's tons of sources:
    Dairy
    Eggs/egg whites
    Chicken
    Beef
    Pork (BACON!)
    Seafood/fish
    Legumes
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
  • dkeener_81
    dkeener_81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Make sure you're having protein at every meal. Swap out lower protein snacks for higher protein ones. There's tons of sources:
    Dairy
    Eggs/egg whites
    Chicken
    Beef
    Pork (BACON!)
    Seafood/fish
    Legumes

BAACCONNNN!!!

Thanks Jen.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Protein can be a problem for many when we look at our diet in detail. You might pick up some protein power until you figure out the whole food sources of protein that might work for you. The whey that I keep on hand to get all my protein some days adds 130 calories to get 30 grams of protein. I only mix it with cold water in a glass with a spoon so it is simple. Working foods with enough protein into your diet is preferred by most but we must have enough protein to keep our bodies repaired.
  • illtemperedcherry
    Options
    Eggs, chicken, and silk has an almond milk with protein and fiber. If your looking for an inexpensive protein powder I suggest sprouts, they do whey and soy in the bulk section. It's unflavored but at (in the colorado area) 11.99 lb and I can choose how much I get, Its a good choice. Good luck!
  • dkeener_81
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

Anyone have recommendations for pre and post workout foods/drinks? I've been told that I should be eating or drinking protein to help recovery
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You don't have to drink a shake if you are eating protein at every meal.

Boiled Eggs are awesome as a quick snack. a little sprinkle of salt and pepper, and deliciousness. :) Or buy some of the pre-cooked chicken breast strips - and add them to your salads. Or have it post workout, dipped in a little bit of honey mustard. You can do similar with slices of deli ham or roastbeef.

My breakfast this morning was 3 eggs over easy with 4 slices of deli roast beef quickly heated, to top the eggs. Protein, lovely protein. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use half the recommended scoop in water after an hour's workout. My trainer recommended half so I wasn't eating back all the calories.

http://myvega.com/product/vega-one-nutritional-shake/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I usually workout before a meal, so whatever I have afterwards is what I eat; I haven't had any problems with recovery. I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast, but it's usually about 3.5 hours after I workout. Dinner is a variety of proteins with a focus on lean meats (and a lot of venison from a deer that my bf's dad bagged). Just focus on getting enough protein throughout the day the day, and you should be fine. I like jerky, greek yogurt, or cottage cheese for snacks. Edamame is pretty good on protein as well and easily snackable.
  • EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Poached egg on wholemeal toast with cottage cheese pre workout and a whey protein shake made with chocolate milk post workout then cherry juice a little later on for its anti inflammatory benefits.. this will keep your protein levels high and aid recovery.
  • dkeener_81
    Options
    Poached egg on wholemeal toast with cottage cheese pre workout and a whey protein shake made with chocolate milk post workout then cherry juice a little later on for its anti inflammatory benefits.. this will keep your protein levels high and aid recovery.

Thanks Eric!! Cherry juice...haven't heard of that one :smiley:
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dkeener_81 wrote: »
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Dairy
    Eggs/egg whites
    Chicken
    Beef
    Pork (BACON!)
    Seafood/fish
    Legumes

BAACCONNNN!!!

Thanks Jen.

Bacon isn't that great for protein - it's quite high fat, high calorie.

Two slices (52g) - 230 calories, 7g protein, 21g fat.

That being said eat bacon....but not because it is high in Protein
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary and one way to get more protien would be to eat some more real meals. Add a couple eggs and some toast for breakfast, a salad with some chicken for lunch. a good dinner. Your eating very little and mostly snack foods so that is a problem. take a peek at my diary for today if you would like. I hit my protien goal and not a meat product to be found so, its very possible to hit it if your eating enough other healthy foods.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Almond or peanut butter too.
    Quinoa is one of my faves and it has healthy carbs and protein.
    Asparagus has protein too (several veggies have protein in them).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    turkey is a pretty high protein meat as well- higher than chicken.
    Dead animals are pretty much the go to source for proteins.
  • FlatWet
    FlatWet Posts: 109 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would suggest: Egg whites, regular eggs, tofu, tempeh, soy beans, dry roasted soynuts, lentils, fish, greek OR Icelandic yogurt, cottage cheese.

I don't eat red meat or poultry, and I have a higher protein goal than MPF originally set for me. I base all my meals around protein which has allowed me to feel satiated / energized without going over calorie. :)