Feeling really depressed

Options
So I've been doing this since the end of February. Everything is going fine, I'm losing weight steadily, etc. I've always had high self esteem pre weight loss. But after I lost the amount I have, I looked in the mirror today and although I liked what I saw naked, I didn't like what I saw with clothes on.

Anyway, so I went to run a few errands and when I got back I just felt really sad and having terrible thoughts. I don't know why I just feel so unsatisfied with how I look (while clothed) and it makes me feel like a loser. It's odd that I never had these feelings before my weight loss. I think now that I'm picturing a new me, the fact that I haven't gotten there yet makes me sad. Not to mention that even though I lost 22 pounds, it's not a HUGE difference like it would be for a person shorter and smaller than me.

Like, when I was out, this really cute guy was hitting on me at the grocery store and I just ignored him because I felt ugly. I'm usually a very outgoing and friendly/flirty person. It's just not normal for me and I want to make sure it's just a 1 day thing and won't continue on.

Has anyone experienced this kind of feeling early on in their weight loss journey?

Replies

• MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    First, here's a virtual hug for you. :flowerforyou:

Now, repeat after me. A FEELING IS NOT A FACT. Feeling unattractive, unsatisfied-- it is temporary. Your hormones could be in play...your blood sugar could be low...there are several reasons out there that lead to feeling blue...

Look at the facts. You got hit on at the grocery store. You are losing steadily. You LIKE the way you look nekkid! Heck!

Love yourself. If you don't like the way the clothes are fitting, get 'em altered, go shopping if you can. The "new me" you are rushing to get to will be there, waiting for you when you get there. The journey...the learning and growing....don't skip that part. You're worth the time it takes, and the effort required to get to a place you can stay at.

Here's another hug. :flowerforyou: Tomorrow is a new day. You're gonna be ok.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    yes honey, i've experienced this, and still do.
    I think because as humans, we're used to getting things NOW NOW NOW & once we decide to make a change in our weight, we want that NOW too because we're tired of how we're feeling. I think before my weight loss journey, I never thought about how I looked.Once I opened my eyes to the fact that I needed to lose weight, I wanted my body to reflect my inside & my mindset. It's a long, slow process and that's hard to fathom sometimes. Keep going, stay away from mirrors/scales if you have to in the beginning. Try to stay as positive as possible, you'll get there.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Awww I'm sure it's just a one day thing. And you should just allow yourself to feel how you feel. Rationally, you must be really proud of the 22 pounds you've lost, but sometimes you're just gonna feel blah and down. And that's ok too! I usually chalk it up to period time haha. Tomorrow is a new day!
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    two options:
    1- go naked
    2- go shopping!
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Here is a thought. Maybe your clothing is to big. You need to change your size as you loose weight. Maybe if you buy yourself a new outfit you will feel better. I think everyone at some point feels bad about the way they look. You should not be feeling bad about yourself everyday. If your depression stays with you maybe you should see your Dr. Be proud of your weight loss and don't be so hard of yourself.