Sport Ideas?

Options
Hello all!

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for some (team beer league) sports that I might like to join. I'm having a hard time thinking of them, but I think it would be a good way of getting fitness in while having fun. My boyfriend plays a lot of sports but I'm not sure any of those particular ones are for me. I currently play dodge ball once a week, but it isn't exactly a workout. We have a few too many girls, and you don't exact move around a lot... you just cringe and throw haha. I also play slow pitch softball once a week in the summer - again, a lot of standing around (good ol' right field). I do like both of these because the amount of equipment needed is minimal.

Sports I can think of are as follows so if you think of any others, please let me know! I'm just trying to think of my options.

Soccer
Ultimate Frisbee
Lacrosse

Um... Tennis/badminton doubles? Hahah you see where I run out of ideas.

Softball (done)
Dodgeball (done)
Ice hockey (probably not for me - can't skate and I'm oddly afraid of the sticks a bit)
Floor hockey (probably not for me)
Football (not me again haha - can't stand the shape of the ball! I don't understand how it bounces so I just run around like a chicken with it's head cut off and my hands are too small for throwing the ball. I have weirdness about sports, don't I...)
Rugby (not for me)

Thoughts? Is there anything that you enjoy?

Replies

• chubbywolfe
    chubbywolfe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Volleyball, basketball, or kickball....volleyball and basketball are all year but kickball is probably going to overlap your softball (and it's kind of the same amount of moving around). My person favorite is soccer bc my son plays, indoor and outdoor.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, another two good ones to consider.

Also a bump ;)
  • VeryKatie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hmm. At my old university there's also Hantis... what ever that is (looked it up, it's basically table tennis... not quite what I'm looking for)... and inner tube water polo (that sounds fun actually). That sounds interesting haha. I'm a bit confused if I'd need a gym membership there to play there or if I'd have to be a student.

Any other ideas, peeps?
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend maybe roller derby?

When I tried out for sports in high school, although athletic, I was told I was 'not competitive enough'. Hence, no real recommendations.
  • VeryKatie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Roller derby, nice! I do have rollerblades and I know I like that. Haha yeah, I'm not super competitive so I'm thinking rookie beer leagues. Just something to get me moving and socializing but that has more of a "point" than general fitness classes (you know... to burn calories, have fun, improve fitness and score points haha).
  • eversmj
    Options
    Not sure if there's a school near you but consider Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. If you don't mind bare feet and some sweat, it is a terrific workout and most academies have a nice, tight-knit team. Meatheads and egos tend not to last very long in BJJ so you're usually just left with the good folks. We have several girls, my wife included, who train at our academy.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I play tennis. One of the nice things about tennis is that you only need one other person to play. So you can be more flexible about when you play. You can hit anytime you want; anytime, that is, that you can find a partner. Team sports are usually scheduled for a particular day at a particular time.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Good point about the tennis. I even know someone who plays... and all I need is a racket. That's equipment light! Ohh!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Martial Arts, marathon swimming.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Interesting quiz... I got hockey, net ball and cycling. So.. cycling isn't a team sport and bikes are expensive and don't fit in my apartment (I'm getting one next summer when I have a house)... hockey is super aggressive and coordinated and I put clumsy and like... 2/10 for aggressiveness so I'm very confused about that one. Net ball. Soccer/basket ball?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you got high points in endurance, agility and being able to catch/react to things? Probably any ball game would be ok - soccer or basketball, sure. Volleyball rec leagues are usually pretty laid back, and you'd be moving a lot of the time (not bored).
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Fencing?

There is a bit of gear if you buy it for yourself, but the local fencing club has spare gear so we were able to try it out without purchasing anything.

Bowling, it's not really exercise but it's fun same goes for Horseshoes or lawn bowling.

Another one that's sort of fun but not really great exercise is putt putt golf.

Maybe Archery? If there is a Gander Mountain near you they have an archery range in the store where you can test out bows before you purchase so you could go in and see if you like it.

Not sure if it's been suggested but is there an indoor rock climbing gym near you? Any gear you need is included but if you find you enjoy it you may want to get your own shoes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Hello all!

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for some (team beer league) sports that I might like to join. I'm having a hard time thinking of them, but I think it would be a good way of getting fitness in while having fun. My boyfriend plays a lot of sports but I'm not sure any of those particular ones are for me. I currently play dodge ball once a week, but it isn't exactly a workout. We have a few too many girls, and you don't exact move around a lot... you just cringe and throw haha. I also play slow pitch softball once a week in the summer - again, a lot of standing around (good ol' right field). I do like both of these because the amount of equipment needed is minimal.

Sports I can think of are as follows so if you think of any others, please let me know! I'm just trying to think of my options.

Soccer
    Ultimate Frisbee
    Lacrosse

Um... Tennis/badminton doubles? Hahah you see where I run out of ideas.

Softball (done)
    Dodgeball (done)
    Ice hockey (probably not for me - can't skate and I'm oddly afraid of the sticks a bit)
    Floor hockey (probably not for me)
    Football (not me again haha - can't stand the shape of the ball! I don't understand how it bounces so I just run around like a chicken with it's head cut off and my hands are too small for throwing the ball. I have weirdness about sports, don't I...)
    Rugby (not for me)

Thoughts? Is there anything that you enjoy?
    Ultimate frisbee is VERY challenging cardio wise and doesn't require spending for equipment with the possible exception of shoes/cleats and knee pads.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png