Best Meals to Freeze

Options
Cooking for one, don't want to make dishes that serve 10. Also, am a flight attendant - need meals that freeze well and can take on multi day trips. Thanks!

Replies

• shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like to do frozen meals so I just don't have to cook often. I usually do pastas and lasagnas. I also buy a bunch of veggies, chop them all up, and divide them between a few freezer bags so I can have my vegetables ready for a stirfry. You can also marinate meat and then freeze it so you just take it out and bake.

I tend to also look at what freezer meals are sold in the grocery store and then try to duplicate them at home.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The best way is to cook dishes for ten. Otherwise there's nothing left to freeze!
    Make large batches of chili, soups, rice or pasta casseroles (lasagna!).... Just nothing with potatoes, unless you blanch them first. After your dish has cooled, divide into individual portions and freeze.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti w/meat sauce, any non-cream soup. When I cruise the frozen section at the grocery store, I try to notice what they are packaging. You can usually duplicate it at home.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Doh! Sorry, I didn't realize I was saying the same thing as a previous post. Remind me to read next time. :\
  • lindastevens5688
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I freeze many things, even things I probably shouldn't, like potatos.

Whatever it is, it seems to be dry after freezing, so some extra water, sauce, butter, salad dressing or condiments are a big help.

When I know I'm freezing something, I tend to add extra spices or flavorful items (like peppers.)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Muffins freeze quite nicely. Also, as others have mentioned, pastas, lasagne, chili are always better when frozen and reheated IMO.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Every year around October, I fill our freezer with frozen meals portioned out individually. I have a HUGE pot I call my witches pot. All in one day, I will make the witches pot full of chili, homemade vegetable soup, navy beans and ham and then in addition to that I will make bake and freeze 2 lasagnas, pork tenderloin for pulled pork and sloppy joes. This allows us to have healthy food already made for us when we get home from work. When we do splurge and get a pizza, I take my 1 or 2 pieces and then I freeze the rest in foil and a ziplock bag. Freezes well and easy to reheat in oven.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I freeze many things, even things I probably shouldn't, like potatos.

Whatever it is, it seems to be dry after freezing, so some extra water, sauce, butter, salad dressing or condiments are a big help.

When I know I'm freezing something, I tend to add extra spices or flavorful items (like peppers.)

I freeze potatoes too! i thought i was the only one
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I like to make a pan of enchiladas and individually wrap them to freeze them.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    I freeze potatoes too! i thought i was the only one

Mashed potatoes freeze & reheat really well.

I always keep marinated meat in my freezer so I can just defrost it & toss it in a pan quickly. Takes about 10 minutes to cook. If I pre-cook meat before I freeze it, then it tends to get tough reheated. The exception to that is meatballs, since they taste great in spaghetti sauce regardless of how cooked they are!