Trouble staying awake... ??!!!

Options
I recently stopped having coffee - I used to put too much creamer and sugar in my coffee (I love the taste of the French Vanilla creamer...). I think I was probably drinking about 200 calories/day in sugar and creamer... I've tried drinking coffee black, but I've always found it too bitter - and so I recently stopped having coffee and switched to tea.

The problem is that I am really struggling to stay awake during the day - especially after I eat lunch. I don't have a huge lunch, usually it's just a sandwich or soup or salad... However, every day at 1pm, I'm struggling to stay awake. I am constantly yawning, and I'm sluggish and my brain literally stops functioning.

Any ideas/suggestions about what I can try to stay awake? For those who also quit coffee - how was it when you stopped coffee?

Replies

• yuiconnor
    Options
    drink tones of water... that's what I did...
    btw, I do like drinking coffee black. or try the creamer called "Mini Moo's® Half & Half | Land O'Lakes", it only has 1g of fat, and add sugar like stevia into ur coffee to make it better?

A coffee a day makes me happy so why cut back if found better alternatives :P
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you are just going to have to tough it out. I LOVE coffee and drank it off and on throughout the years. Once I taste it, I'm hooked because it's so yummy. Depending on how long you've been drinking coffee, it will probably take a while to get your body back to normal. It usually took me about a week or 2 to get back to normal and then the drowsiness goes away. Also are you getting enough sunlight? If not then consider taking a Vitamin D3 pill. My energy came back once I started taking this. Also once you're home, go to bed :) Nothing wrong with being sleepy. Your body needs rest especially when it's detoxing from caffeine. Good Luck :)
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks Yuicoonor! However, this is not an option for me. One reason why I want to quit coffee is I don't want to be dependent on caffeine...
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I guess I should add that I haven't drank coffee or any caffeine products in months because of the cravings and fatigue, etc.
  • noor_v
    Options
    Thanks NotGnarly! This is helpful - I can survive a couple of weeks like this... thankfully it's the holiday season and things are a little slow at work :smile:
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough...?
  • noor_v
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think I am eating enough... in fact, this week I've actually been eating too much because I've been feeling extra hungry - my diary is open, in case you have any suggestions...
  • shrividya22
    shrividya22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you also working out ? Had the exact same issue, but work out helps..Also I dont have a big lunch.. I have a small at the desk munches every few hours [ Egg whites, maybe a curry with one bread etc].
    Vit D3 is imp too..Get it checked.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Just put less stuff in your coffee. Try 2 tbsp of milk and one measuring tsp of sugar. Or even just the milk. If I stopped drinking coffee I would lose my job and wreck my car at the very least.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i read once that an apple has as much energy as a can of coke. so i switch my 3pm coffee/soda to an apple and some nuts. feeling great so far.
  • noor_v
    Options
    I had my Vit D checked last year and I was deficient - I do take one Vit D every night. The last few weeks I've not been able to work out regularly, but I started back up this week - I usually go to the gym M-F before work.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I agree with shrividya22 about Vitamin D. I had a lot of blood work, everything was ok, except my Vitamin D which was extremely low. I always wondered why I was feeling so lifeless some days. Since I started taking 2000 iu of Vitamin D per day, it like I am in a different world altogether.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I eliminated bread and potatoes from my weekday lunches and replaced with higher protein sources (my diet is not low carb/high protein by any stretch, but logging showed me that my daily protein was really low) and the afternoon drowsiness at my desk went away. I thought it was normal to be sleepy after lunch!
  • noor_v
    Options
    Thanks!! I will try and increase my protein intake during lunch. Hopefully it helps!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I try to take a brisk walk after lunch -- wakes me up and keeps me going for the afternoon. Desk jobs can be so boring sometimes.

The only time in my life I've not drunk coffee every day was during my two pregnancies. The first time I was worried that I'd be a wreck without it. I like it strong and black and I have at least two large mugs every morning. I cut back slowly and was surprised to find that after a few weeks I felt completely normal without it. It could have been the pregnancy hormones...maybe not.

Don't know if this is helpful. Anyway, good luck!