Eating when I am not hungry

Options
Eveyrday I have a battle from 6 pm ( when I get back from work) to 10 pm not to eat. I binge..

I wake up early to work out, I also cook in the evening for my kids and I end up eating even when I am not hungry. It could be slices of cheese or cookies or a cup of coffee.

I am trying to avoid this by eating egg whites on my way back from work, Any other tips ?

I ahev read tonnes about seeking fulfillment from food, I dont think it is emotional eating, it is this strange obsession to eat when i get home.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I tend to binge when at home as well. Ultimately, you should pay attention to what triggers the desire to binge, then prevent/avoid those triggers as much as possible.

The best thing I've found to prevent it is to keep myself busy. if I'm not thinking about the food in the pantry, I'm not eating the food in the pantry.

Also, I've played around with IF where I only eat once I get home. That helps too, but doesn't really fix the problem.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time too. I just fit it in my calories for the day as much as i can and eat a lighter dinner.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    nonstarchy vegetables are your friends. Cabbage, broccoli, green beans, spinach, etc. Eat the allowed portions of meat and starches then stuff yourself the rest of the way on those vegetables. No gravy/butter though. Just a little salt/pepper.
  • Paix_Amour
    Paix_Amour Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Keeping busy or chewing gum works for me. Often times, I just want to chew on something and that'll satisfy it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I like to eat when I get home in the evening too.
    So I skip breakfast and lunch -- thus eating one meal a day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day and stick to it. This is about making a life change and thats a huge step in the right direction.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    im a stay at home mom.. and being at home alot.. well.. you know the rest :(
  • Visitantara
    Visitantara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Shrividya please add me to your fitness groups. Specially ones that you are following now.
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The obsession is ghrelin kicking through your system. As your stomach shrinks from your main meal the body releases hunger hormones into your system.

How you eat your food might help combat this. Soups for instance help us stay fuller for longer, so you might try wizzing up your meal into a thick soup and see if that helps stave of the hunger pangs.

Other tricks? Always have a glass of water on the go and keep your stomach full by drinking regularly. Doing a quick burst of activity when you feel the pull of the fridge - run on the spot, a few jumping jacks, whatever works for you. That suppresses hunger pangs, and you get a bonus calorie burn boost, no matter how small.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    That's always been my downfall ,7:30 till bedtime is my weak point .

What I'm finding works for me is skipping breakfast and trying to withhold until 12 ish drinking coffee and tea then having moderate lunch and decent dinner and calories for a snack or two.
    Once I used my allowance I try and drink water and tea .

If you have a need to eat in the evening save up calories for fulfilling dinner .

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I too wake up early to work out. Then I have breakfast.

Around lunchtime I stop and have lunch. I work full-time

When I get home after work, I cook and eat dinner. It is often around 8pm. I go to bed around 9.30/10pm.

What is making you feel you can't eat after you get home from work? I eat sensible balanced meals, and try not to snack. That helps me feel satisfied and not feel like I'm suffering when I have a while until the next meal.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    My last prelogged meal is 1 hour before bed. Why don't you leave some calories for the evening?
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Start with not eating within one hour of going to bed, then work your way up to three hours. You’ll find that you’ll fall asleep faster. When you get up try not to eat for an hour after you get up then build it up to 3 hours! This cuts your eating window. Try to go for a walk in the morning before you eat and this helps to cut your appetite! Works for me, maybe it’ll work for you.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    slossia wrote: »
    Start with not eating within one hour of going to bed, then work your way up to three hours. You’ll find that you’ll fall asleep faster. When you get up try not to eat for an hour after you get up then build it up to 3 hours! This cuts your eating window. Try to go for a walk in the morning before you eat and this helps to cut your appetite! Works for me, maybe it’ll work for you.

I have to go for a walk in the morning to "wake" my tummy up if I don't I can easily not eat till lunch I eat between 9am-5pm
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    yeah - i plan a nighttime snack into my calories before bed - every day - about 200cal - it has helped my sleep quality
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like nighttime eating too. All my weight problems are around the nightly overeating.

I now save about 700-800 calories for the evening meal so I can have a nice dinner and a treat. I feel pretty satisfied when I do this.

I do stress if I only have 500 calories left, but it’s really enough for dinner, just no treat. So then I drink a cup of decaf coffee with sweet and low and a tablespoon of half and half.

I have no rules around how late I can eat. I can eat as late as I want. I usually don’t because I will have a stomach ache if I go to bed on a full stomach, but I have no rules I have to follow about how late I can eat. That would just make me feel deprived and want to binge.

I honestly think it’s a really bad habit that feels good while you are doing it. That makes it really hard to break. It takes some work to change, but you can learn to change if you work at it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Another pro-prelogger here. If you know what's locked in for the day, I find it easier to stick to that. Leaving my diary open-ended opens the door for sneaky things to get in.

I find having a PM snack and cup of coffee helps keep those dinner time hungries at bay. I'm REALLY hungry when I get home from work and cook dinner almost immediately. I also try to make my dinners very voluminous with plenty of veggies for 2+ servings. The bulk helps with those after dinner munchies.

It's a hard habit to break, and when the munchie train leaves the station, it's hard to slow it down.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Save calories for the evenings. Problem solved :smile: