Eat first or Work out first - Which is best?

Options
I always work out first then eat, which is best eating first or working out first.

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    depends on the person. I eat, wait until i feel like it won't come back up (haha!) & then i workout (most days) but somedays I workout and then eat depending on my time.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    I work out first because if I eat first I won't workout. I don't know which is better...but that's what I do.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I do both- yogurt or cottage cheese before workout generally (Especially if I know I am going to burn more than 400 calories), then meal after. Today I worked lightly at home, so opted for slice of multigrain toast with pb before workout and now getting ready to make dinner
  • Mestiza1971
    Options
    It's best not to eat within 2 hours before exercising. This is because when you eat, your glycemic index rises, your pancreas immediately releases insulin, which brings your blood sugar lower than its resting state. It's best to eat carbs within 5 minutes of exercise (snack) because carbohydrates are the fastest source of energy. Do not eat anything acidic because your body already has a hard enough time regulating pH during exercise. If you're running a marathon, it's recommended that you intake 40 - 60 grams of carbs per hour. After exercise, it's best to eat a good portion of carbs within 2 hours. This replenishes all of the glycogen that you lost during exercise. If you wait longer than 2 hours, the glycogen replenishing won't be as effective.
  • mamakathy
    mamakathy Posts: 130
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing myself. I usually eat before but I just had a small snack before and I was so hungry while I was working out.
  • rakelros
    rakelros Posts: 67
    Options
    I eat about an hour before workout, otherwise I wouldn´t have the energy to finish.
    Then I usually eat immediately after or 30 minutes after a workout (preferably a protein rich product).
  • shanna5
    shanna5 Posts: 69
    Options
    I actually just read an article in a magazine about this - it said you'll burn more calories by working out first then eating. Who knows though, everyone has a different opinion!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Depends on timing. If I've eating within the last 1-2 hours (roughly), then I go for it. If it's been longer, I usually have a banana first. On HIIT days, I do it first thing in the morning, fasted, and eat afterwards.
  • music_lover_103
    Options
    i don't think it really matters...which ever you like better or works better for you. i usually work out before i eat, b/c if i eat first, then i always have to poop halfway through my workout. hah.
  • rosybella9
    rosybella9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how your body is designed. I'm hypoglycemic and have to eat before I workout or it isn't worth putting on my gym shoes. I don't eat much afterwards either. It's a chore to drink a protein shake. My boyfriend, however, never eats before and has a full meal after we're done. His way would have me fainting and my way would make him sick. Long story short, whatever makes You feel the best.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I do both, something light and simple at least an hour or more before to give my muscles fuel to have a good workout. Then immediately after, I have my protein and complex carbs to help my muscles recover.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't work out with a full stomach. It just feels weird. I have to wait about 1hr after eating before I feel OK enough to do my workouts. It will depend on your body though. Like rosybella9 stated, some people need to eat before in order to have to energy they need to work out.
  • enelson96
    enelson96 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If I eat before I workout, I almost puke. I have to wait at least 3 hours after eating a big meal to workout.

If I do workouts I always eat afterwards because I am always starving afterwards.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on who you ask and what time of day you are working out. I asked my endocrinologist and his take on it from a hormonal perspective was:

"Its best to work out within an hour of waking in the morning and on an empty stomach."

I cannot remember the names of the hormones that he mentioned and I cannot find the notes and drawings that he used to explain this to me. So I guess that doesn't help me any. But the way I understood it was that there are certain hormones that are released at this time. Plus you add the endorphins from a good workout, particularly some that are released when you work large muscle groups, and you have a calorie burning frenzy that boosts your metabolism even more when you follow with a balanced meal about 30 minutes later. If you eat first, these hormones don't have the same effect.

I have followed this for the most part. I enjoy working out first thing in the morning anyway. I can say that I lost a total of 70 pounds in 2 years. the last 50 was in the last year, after I started working with this guy. So I have some merit to believe that he knows a little something about a thing or two. But we are all different and I think its best for us each to follow the advice that works best for ourselves.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    @TheKitchenNinja - do you know whether he meant cardio or strength training, or either? Somehow I got it in my head that fasted morning cardio is ok, but strength training requires a pre-fueling. Not sure where I got it from, but that's how I've been rolling so far...
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    @TheKitchenNinja - do you know whether he meant cardio or strength training, or either? Somehow I got it in my head that fasted morning cardio is ok, but strength training requires a pre-fueling. Not sure where I got it from, but that's how I've been rolling so far...

He mainly suggested cardio. Especially things that included squats, like the videos for BL or P90 or running. I wish I still had the notes, but he was real big on wrking the large muscles like quads and glutes for some hormonal release. He did say to eat some fruit or something if I would mainly be doing machines and weights. So I thnk your rolling the right way.