People telling you, you lost enough weight

Options

Replies

• annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot now.
    Im 5ft 1 and started at 181 pounds. Im aiming to get to around 120 pounds so only have 14 pounds more to go (which, according to my BMI would put me at 22.7!). I went to see my nurse on Wednesday to get my blood pressure checked (for the pill) and she told me that I already am within the healthy range of the BMI scale (I know im not!) and that I don't need to lose anymore weight. She took my weight but didn't measure my height so she definitely added something up wrong!

I know I do...I still feel overweight (BMI also says I am!)
    Grrrrrrr lol
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Just thank them - that's what I do. At first it offended me, because I was like Jesus, how BIG was I that you are even noticing??? But now i just thank them, and in my head immediatly blow them off because they have no idea what they are talking about, it's MY body, it's still covered in fat, and i don't want it there, so Im going to get rid of it.

I get it from my mom all the time, but, she's my mom, and I've been big since i was about 7 - so - she's just used to seeing me quite large. Last night i got it from the guy who does my horses shoes, multiple times. it got extremely annoying, but when i finally said thansk he shut up, and the annoyance ended.
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting to the point where people have told you you've lost enough weight - THAT is an accomplishment in and of itself - and I'm looking forward to getting there too :-)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've lost 33lbs, I was 171 and now am 138. As a 5'2 woman that is still 2lbs above the upper limit of normal. Everytime someone comments on my weightloss they almost follow it up with and don't lose anymore.

Does anyone else experience this? Is it some sort of unintentional "sabatoge"?
    Yes, and I'm 5 ft 4 inches and 139 pounds. This is when a simple, "Thank you," suffices.

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Yes I get that often, but they can say whatever they want. Does not mean I will listen to them. Its what I want.

Congrats on your weight loss. Do what makes you happy and feel good about your self.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    .....in a society that is overall so much fatter than previous generations it's harder for her to realize or remember what "normal weight" looks like.
    This is an outstanding point too. More people do seem more overweight these days.
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've lost (and kept off) 60 lbs over the past 6 years and am at the high end of "healthy" BMI. Nearly everyone that knew me at my heaviest tells me how good I look and that they're proud of me for making changes in my life. Except my wife. She always says I look too skinny. :\
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little over 47 pounds and I'm only 5 pounds away from a healthy BMI. The past week my son (who's 18), my mom and a few family members told me 'enough'. I don't think these comments were made out of jealousy or any malice. Just concern. My son told me my face was getting too thin and I look a little boney from the waste up.

So I'll lose those last few pounds and hopefully keep them off for good :)
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    All the time

I just say tell me if I start to look haggard because that's the only thing that will stop me -and there is definitely a haggard look that can come with too thin

Yup - I've always figured that it was more that extra weight hides wrinkles so losing it is just un-hiding them - no matter, take the wrinkles, lose the weight
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Good thing this is about yo, so do what makes you happy. I always try to remember that what other people think, is none of my business.
  • lswatson111304
    lswatson111304 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I get this a lot too
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I heard this a lot over Thanksgiving. "You're thin enough", "you'll blow away in the breeze", "it's time for maintenance", "you're making the rest of us look fat". But only from my husbands extended family, the people that saw me the most while overweight. My side of the family, most of whom hadn't seen me in 10 years or more were very encouraging, because I was back to what they remember me being as a teenager. I'll keep going until I'm happy; right now I'm smack dab in the middle of "healthy" BMI range, so 5-10 more pounds would be nice
  • KimofTas
    KimofTas Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Maybe they mean it as a compliment? Mum used to say to people that they'll "fade away to a shadow" and she never meant it meanly, just out of concern and a compliment that they look great just as they are now.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Tell them to get a clue. I'm 5'4, I only reached normal bmi at 143lb I think? And I'm 140lb now. No one has told me I'm thin enough, yet, but I am thin. But I plan on keeping on going until I feel I'm thin enough.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Nope, can't say I have experienced this. I have lost 33 pounds and people probably wonder when the hell I'm going to start a diet and stop being so overweight.

Can't help but feel like the OP is "bragplaining"
    "People are telling me I'm already skinny and I don't need to be skinnier! Who else feels like this!!!???"

But, maybe I'm just in a mood.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yea, I got that from my mom and sister at my lowest, 147ish and 5'9". I was hardly wasting away, or remotely close to it. They kept insisting I was "too thin." Hardly. Just ignore and move on!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Opinions are like *kitten*: everyone has one, and they all stink.
  • squeakybuttcheeks
    squeakybuttcheeks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time! Just do what makes you happy and ignore them. <3 good job with what you have lost so far!
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, all the time (I've lost 30kg) and I am still 5 kg (11lbs) off the top of the weight range for my height! My theory is that because the general tendency in the population is to overweight, people have forgotten what healthy looks like. Ignore the saboteurs and do what you think is right for you :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Personally I would consider that a NSV. But then again I'm a long way from anyone making that comment.

I'm at a point where I get that comment (the first time was when I was still above my normal weight BMI range, although not by much) and I still consider it an NSV and also don't take it too seriously. I think it's largely just one of those things people say. I usually just smile and say thanks or if asked about my plans say "oh, I'll probably lose a bit more."

People are kind of awkward around weight stuff in general. Someone I haven't seen in ages saw me today and said "you look amazing, you lost like 300 lbs." Pretty sure that just came out wrong, but I thought it was funny and hope she doesn't think about it later and feel weird. (I never actually had 300 lbs to lose, but I've lost 88, so close enough.)