Fellow Basis Peak Users?

Options
I'm a former Fitbit user. Love FBs but have a knack for losing them and didn't replace the last one. Today I got a Basis Peak but the community of users doesn't seem anywhere near as large as FitBit. Any fellow Basis Peak users here in MFP? I've only had it a day but love it so far. Nice, big display, I like the little challenges, and I can wait to see how it tracks my steps while jogging in the pool. Its waterproof-ness is one of the things that attracted me, although the price was painful. Seems like a good gadget so far though, and if not, I have until Jan. 15 to return it without penalty at Best Buy.

Replies

• Kasuad
    Kasuad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Does myfitnesspal access the data from your Basis Peak?
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    Not yet but their support team says it's the number one request, so I'm hoping to see that soon. I really like it so far, so that would make it just about perfect (if the water resistance turns out to be what they say it is; I haven't tested that yet). I do find that it gets hinky about syncing with my phone and iPad sometimes.
  • JDownie91
    JDownie91 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for just over two weeks and I love it!! I enjoy keeping track of things, so it has been fun to challenge myself to burn more calories and to meet my "habit" goals!!
  • Kasuad
    edited December 2014
    Options
    IamMCM wrote: »
    Not yet but their support team says it's the number one request, so I'm hoping to see that soon..

From what I read, it's been their #1 request for a couple years now.

I was wondering if you were able to link it to a different app or server database that myfitnesspal can link to and grab the info that way? Like Microsoft healthvault, considering Basis is now a part of Intel. Supposedly Fitbit's servers should share info with Healthvault both ways, so healthvault should be able to write info into your fitbit account for steps taken, calories burned etc and then myfitnesspal should be able to get the info from fitbit. No doubt a bit will be lost in translation.

• IamMCM
    Options
    I'm going to explore the link with other apps in the coming weeks. I really think they'd boost their market if they got moving with the MFP link. I like it better than Fitbit in several ways such as the bigger display/data you can see with a swipe, buckling strap to minimize the chance of losing it, truly waterproof, and HRM (although Fitbit will soon catch up in that arena).

JDownie, I'm so glad to see that you like it. I like tracking things, too, and am already impatient to unlock more habits! I've been without my Fitbit for many months, and it's surprising how much more aware of my activity and motivated I am with a "conscience" on my wrist.
  • JDownie91
    Options
    The Basis is my first fitness tracker/pedometer, so it is fun to see my steps add up!! I've gotten to the point where I have 5 habits, and I met all of them last week- even though that meant going to bed on time last night for the first time last week! haha! I like how it automatically increases your goals for you, because if it didn't I would probably stick with 2 or 3 days for most habits, and one day/week for others.
  • IamMCM
    Options
    The only thing that would make the habits better is if it had an online community where you could link up with friends like Fitbit. Hopefully if more people start using it, a group will pop up here. As far as I can tell, this latest model hasn't been available long. I only stumbled on it because I was looking for an actual release date for the new Fitbit. I love the sleep details the Peak provides and the fact that it automatically detects that you're sleeping (always forget to set my Fitbit into that mode). I'll be totally happy with it if it quits with the syncing issues.
  • JDownie91
    Options
    Yes, the Peak was just released in November! Some countries still haven't been able to order it yet. I would love to have an online group for it as well... but I'm happy enough for now :)
  • krivedal
    krivedal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing my Peak for about 48 hours now and love it. If I can't link the apps, do you know of a way to manually add the calorie burn to MFP?
  • IamMCM
    Options
    You'd just have to add in the exercises and calories manually in the MFP system. I'm still loving mine for the most part, but it has issues with syncing to my phone and iPad Mini. Also, it thought I slept in two separate spans the other night, and it sometimes picks up inactivity like watching a movie as sleep. Those are just minor annoyances so far, although the syncing thing is starting to get annoying as I can't even manually sync it or repair it with the device.
  • Kasuad
    Options
    I ordered a Peak yesterday, should be here Monday. However I just figured out it does not work with my phone. I have a Motorola RAZR maxx, firmware jellybean 4.1.2. The peak works with pretty much everything apple dating back years, but only a few android phones officially. I can't even load the app. Well, guess I'll be returning it as I Dont think it can hook up any other way.
  • Kasuad
    Options
    OK, I installed Bluestacks on my PC and was able to install the app for Basis Peak. I'll find out once I get my Peak if that will actually work, but looks promising as my phone won't install the app at all and I have no desire to upgrade my phone just so I can use the Basis Peak.

Bluestack is an emulator to run android apps.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Thought about the peak .. but in the end, it was just lacking compared to the new Fitbit models that are coming out. One of the big reasons .. the Fitbit does not need a smartphone to sync. That ease of syncing is very much worth it to me .. and that Fitbit is by far the biggest market share holder in this market.
  • dawnmitchell6766
    dawnmitchell6766 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I went with the Garmin Vivofit, wanted to have the wrist component and liked the price point better than the Basis. I did have to replace my Vivofit (at no cost to me) when it stopped syncing with my computer (had only had it 5 months). Other than that I have been very happy. However, have already decided that if it goes out again, I will probably change to the Basis with the added HRM feature and no chest strap. The Garmin does have a nice dashboard, it links with MFP and it keeps increasing the goal of steps you take when you meet the previous days goal. I find tracking very motivating.
  • Kasuad
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thought about the peak .. but in the end, it was just lacking compared to the new Fitbit models that are coming out. One of the big reasons .. the Fitbit does not need a smartphone to sync. That ease of syncing is very much worth it to me .. and that Fitbit is by far the biggest market share holder in this market.

I was set to get the Fitbit Charge HR once released, but decided I'd get the Surge instead. I am sure the Charge HR will release in January, but not so sure about the Surge. It might be a long wait. I am still going to get the Surge unless the Peak really impresses me and the Surge gets bad reviews for actual use.

Problem I have with the other trackers that do optical HR monitoring is that they only check 1 time per second. The Peak does it 34 times per second. I haven't seen reports on accuracy of the Surge or Charge HR compared to a chest strap sensor, but I did read about the MS Band, which appearntly sucks for HR monitoring, so it doesn't bod well for Fitbit that also only checks once every second in workout mode.

The Peak seems to be hit or miss. I think some people just don't wear it correctly or they may have blood vessels that are buried. For some of the serious people that get all into it, I read that the Peak performs well for HR monitoring and is mostly consistant and within a few beats of their strap HR gear.

But yeah, in comparison to Fitbit, Basis just really really sucks for ease of use, compatibility and how polished their product is. I mean seriously, why can't you just connect the Peak to your computer without having to emulate a phone OS?
  • IamMCM
    Options
    I wear my Peak pretty tight during activity and the HRM seems to be quite accurate. I loosen it up at night before bed. I wish it weren't so big, but that's the sacrifice I have to make for the display. Kevalicious, I'm totally with you on that syncing. I miss having my Fitbit just sync to my laptop. I know I'm going to be very tempted when the new model comes out, but I made a big investment in the Peak so I'm stuck with it unless something happens to make me really hate it while I can still return in (up til Jan. 15).
  • bio79
    bio79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love mine!!!! I have had it almost a month and it's a great fitness tracker :)
  • jessmarionrai
    jessmarionrai Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into purchasing a tracker and the Basis Peak is #1 on my list; price and lack of compatibility with third parties are what's keeping me from outright buying it (but #2 is UP3 and I don't want to wait until April for it).

So, I'm curious how the Peak is holding up after almost two months. Are you still in love with it? Are there features it's seriously lacking? Or would you buy it all over again given the choice?
  • metellone
    metellone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been having my peak for a week now. I'm enjoying but still troubled if returning it or no.
  • Rookie_Runner
    Rookie_Runner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am still searching for companion 3rd party apps that will write my google fit data (from Basis) to Fitbit.