Big Weight Loss & Excess Skin?

Options
I'm 5'7, 25 years old, and started out at 275lbs 3 years ago. I'm currently down to 190 and have 40 or so to go. I lose .5-2lbs per week. And I'm noticing some sagging. I'm too young for sagging! :(

Have any of you who have lost a bunch of weight (when I'm done, I'll have lost about 135lbs) had excess skin? Does it shrink? Anybody need surgery? Does insurance cover that?

I'm nervous about how my body will look and I think that's holding back my weight loss right now.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I started at about the same weight, and I am close to what you are now. I have LOTS of saggy skin everywhere. I am in my fifties so it is unlikely to bounce back easily. Here is a must-watch video for you. Many may see the unsightly skin but I notice the buff body underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpKDteQ3FIQ
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I've lost enough to have had excess skin. I'm about 1/3 of the way to my goal. I've had the excess skin removed. I had a hernia that needed to get fixed too, so insurance did cover it. There are certain arguments that can be made - like when large-breasted people get a breast reduction because it's causing issues with their back. I'm sure there are arguments that you could make along those lines with a surgeon. Further, the surgeon may even give you a break with the cost if you pay up front.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You are young, it is likely to recover much of its elasticity.

As for how your body will look, do you think it will somehow look worse than at an unhealthy weight?!

Are you doing any resistance training? Firming up the muscles underneath can go a long ways to helping you feel better about how you look!
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have heard that some insurance will cover plastic surgery for weight loss of over 100, or if extra skin causes discomfort. Call your insurance company. I will definitely have some sagging, but it's better to be healthy and have some extra skin, than to end up with serious health issues. And your skin will definitely firm up some on its own, but will take some time. Great job on your weight loss!!!
  • arnold824
    Options
    Your skin will contract in time but I'm not really sure it would go all the way especially if it's really stretched out but it will try its best. My advice would be to do some strength training, it would take care of your skin problem PLUS you would look good :)
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It takes up to a year for skin to shrink back into place. There is also a chance that it won't. However, there are things you can do to make it tighter. Try skin brushing and grape seed.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YES, but there are definitely things you can do to help yourself too! Try using creams/coconut oil (my favorite go-to is vitamin e cream) and be sure to lift weights (tighter muscles can help bring skin closer to the body). At the height of my weight loss, I had lost about 2/3 of my total starting weight and I had some sag but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. It does contract over time and age is on your side!
  • Paix_Amour
    Paix_Amour Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies! This is encouraging! :smiley:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Im 35 and I lost 100 pounds between my 28th and 32nd bdays. I have minimal excess skin on my tummy. During the entire weight loss process, I used Palmers on my skin and Johnsons baby lotion after each bath and have a strong weight lifting program. I also drink mad tonnes of water each day - but this can only do so much. A lot of people's skin elasticity is based on their own genetics - so I would talk to an older female member of my family and see what they know about their skin.
  • happyvalentinesday
    Options
    Ive heard your skin needs time to catch up. So maybe try coconut oils after a shower and scrubbing with ground coffee. Ive also used the derma roller and it works great. I got mine off amazon. Im too lazy to use it but I seen great results when I made time to use it in the past.
  • Paix_Amour
    Options
    HappyValentinesDay, what's a derma roller? I've never heard of it, but I'll try it if it works! And what does the ground coffee do for the skin? I do use coconut oil after I shower. Thanks!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're young so it will definitely help. I'm 36 and I got a bunch of loose skin, but I was obese for over 10 years too and I had stretch marks (which seems to make the loose skin worse).
  • Paix_Amour
    Options
    I've been obese all my life, until recently (and now I'm just overweight! lol) I do have stretch marks too.
  • Jasper_Thinkington
    Jasper_Thinkington Posts: 73 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Im 35 and I lost 100 pounds between my 28th and 32nd bdays. I have minimal excess skin on my tummy. During the entire weight loss process, I used Palmers on my skin and Johnsons baby lotion after each bath and have a strong weight lifting program. I also drink mad tonnes of water each day - but this can only do so much. A lot of people's skin elasticity is based on their own genetics - so I would talk to an older female member of my family and see what they know about their skin.
    This is great info and advice. The 5 factors of excess skin.
    1. Genetic skin elasticity.
    2. Skin hydration.
    3. Body hydration.
    4. Muscle building for skin support(backfilling).
    5. Time.
    Hope it helps, been through the stumbling block and still no excessive skin, but healthy is always better no matter what.
    See what happens, don't concern yourself with surgery until it's needed.
  • keladry89
    keladry89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    HAh! I'm 25, I was 273 about 18 months ago, and I weigh 186 ish now. And I'm five six and a bit XD I actually have quite a bit of loose skin. On my belly, my thighs, my arms, even on my neck/collar bone. My sister gives me crap for fiddling with it absentmindedly. Most of it isn't took much of a problem, but the skin/fat on my stomach is. I'm optimistic that it will shrink back some. My plan is that once I hit goal I will set up a savings fund and if by the time the fund is full it's still a problem I'll get the surgery (now, I will of course try to get the insurance company to pay for it, but I'll almost certainly have a different company then than I do now so I'm waiting to inquire about it with them directly). I figure that way it will give my body time to adjust, and me time to save. Unless of course I get problems worse than the back pain I have right now.

Don't let the skin get you down, most people won't notice it while you are wearing clothes, especially if its mostly on your trunk, and loose skin looks way better naked than tight fat! : ]

• Paix_Amour
    Options
    Keladry, we're basically body type sisters. Keep up the great work!!