*Rant time*

Options
I recently took up a kitchen porter job as for some reason, I thought I would go into the culinary arts to eventually become a chef. I've not been there long, a bit longer than a week I think. Seeing as it's nearly Xmas, it is a temporary, seasonal job, which ends on Christmas Eve. At first, I was devastated it was only temporary AND it ended on Xmas eve, but now, it's gonna be a great Christmas present. I love most of the people, but it's a busy, boring, non-changing job.

Anyway, I was asked to go in tomorrow, Sunday, on my day off, because a weekend worker pulled a sickie. I also have to work an extra hour. It's not going to kill me, but I'm not happy about it- I had other plans. It's not all doom and gloom, but I'm not going to be happy if I'm on my own frigging putting plates away and sterilising them. Really not.

I just really needed to get this off my chest. It's not the end of the world, sure, but I felt obliged to say yes out of the good of my heart.

Does this happen to everyone? Anyone else got any experiences they want to rant about?

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Me..No never.... ;) You need to up your rant a bit, Still too nice.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Me..No never.... ;) You need to up your rant a bit, Still too nice.

I know it's too nice, I can be a lot more nasty but I didn't want to be judged on being too nasty if you get me.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    A grateful attitude about having a job AND getting overtime will help you get over the disappointment of not getting to do what you had planned for Sunday.
    Think of all the millions of people completely out of work this time of year and unable to provide even the basics for their families, much less extras for Christmas.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    A grateful attitude about having a job AND getting overtime will help you get over the disappointment of not getting to do what you had planned for Sunday.
    Think of all the millions of people completely out of work this time of year and unable to provide even the basics for their families, much less extras for Christmas.

I only went for the job to have something to do and to get into a career I thought I wanted to. I do feel sorry for those people and would give them my job in an instant.

• pjhogan8
    pjhogan8 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow, in spite of working on your day off. And next week, I hope you can find some nice personal time to make up for it. It is really hard being asked to do something when you don't feel you have a choice or time to think about it. I used to volunteer a lot and could never say no, but often it would be at the expense of my family or other things I needed to do. I learned a way of helping is to answer the request with, "Oh, that sounds great (or fill in the blank), let me see if that works, I'll get back to you (call you back)." This gives me a chance to really ask myself if I can do it and it feels less of a guilt or pressured request. It's really worked for me.

For tomorrow, maybe you'll be the one to bring some sunshine into the busy kitchen and you'll have a fun day.

Best wishes!
    CCL

ps: The only rant I have today is at myself. For over-indulging on Chinese food and libations last night! I hate when the weekend messes up my commitment to staying within my fitness goals. ;)
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Need to rant **
    I took my SO to my companies holiday party granted these are tough you get hit with to much drink to much rich food but get this with over 500 people packed in a nice hotels ball room people were taking others seats! We had parked our name tags on two seats at a one of many dinner table with some co workers of mine then went to go get some food. I am waiting in the salad line (yes imagine that) when my SO comes and finds me he's furious seems two guys took our seats! He wanted to take them outside and beat them up! I told him to calm down and just move us to another table well then when I finally got through the line yeah you guessed it I could not find him! There I am wandering around looking for him in mass of people, coworkers pulling me into conversations with no purse phone he had it. At the time I looped back the founder was getting ready to speak so I had to eat a cold dinner with the research crew in the back of the room. I can make conversation with anyone but that was tough, anyways he finds me and tells me that we are leaving. I tried to explain that I looked for him and then apologized but we had a major fight all over stealing chair people happy holidays right?
    Let's just say he's still pissed at me.....

• redfisher1974
    Options
    Now that's a rant^ good work!
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    And it did not help when he found me one of the handsome legal guys was talking to me how do you say that just sealed my fate further ouch :\
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    worst rant ever
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    worst rant ever

I only diluted my rant as a lot of people on here would get pissy at me and call me a drama queen.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    worst rant ever

I only diluted my rant as a lot of people on here would get pissy at me and call me a drama queen.

I think you failed on that.

And I agree with Capt. Apollo.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Why didn't you just say you couldn't work tomorrow? If you don't care about or like the job, you should quit, IMO.
  • Kisuke30
    Kisuke30 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    3d6f53fe6eab15834486a1066e4d81bb5b275f26dfe0fd25fda1ebc893dad698.jpg

perfect opportunity for this... lol
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    And this is why I never answered work calls.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, saying yes to coming into work just for the sake of being nice but I've learned over the years that more often than not, they wouldn't do the same for you and that all you are is a body filling a shift.

So now, anytime I get a call from work to cover a shift, I ignore it or flat out say no. It took some time to not feel bad about it but now I don't care at all.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    And this is why I never answered work calls.

We didn't know it was gonna be work.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    Call me a failure, sure. It only helps the low self-esteem and confidence I have. There are more important things in this world than failing a rant.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Call me a failure, sure. It only helps the low self-esteem and confidence I have. There are more important things in this world than failing a rant.

Now we are getting somewhere...