Help me stop binging :(

Options
So this week & last week all I have felt like doing is binging. I thought it was a phase that would pass, but it hasn't!!

Maybe I'm missing something nutritionally? (I already always go over on my protein, so that can't be it... I'm always under on carbs.)

What are some foods that fill you guys up for good? Or some tactics to stop yourself from going for that extra night time sandwich?

Replies

• mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    chew gum, drink tea, work out.......... :ohwell:

BUMP
  • swiftgirls2
    swiftgirls2 Posts: 59
    Options
    Isnt binging more about filling yourself "emotionally" and not really about being truly hungry?
  • shastacrystal
    shastacrystal Posts: 262
    Options
    My issue was that I would eat great all day but then 10pm would roll around and I would be making toast with peanut butter. I figured out it was on days where I wasnt eating enough early on in the day. I find that by eating a good amount of protein for breakfast and then eating steadily every 2 or 3hrs throughout the day that I am way less likely to binge at night. If you do still have that feeling to munch at night try to grab some carrot sticks or celery so that you are not adding lots of calories. Hope that helps!
  • Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry, or do you just wanna eat?

I always want to eat....x.x

If you MUST eat, something that takes a long time to make might help, salad FULLY prepared, something that takes effort so you don't just grab things

Sometimes I just get the extra sandwich -- really think if you hungry or just feel the need to be eating,

Some people say gum, or low calorie/no calorie candy.

Just something to keep your mouth and mind occupied!
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    High fiber complex carbs really fill me up and keep me satisfied. Bean soups, stews, and chili are the best. Yum! Feels like binging, but isn't. :) I don't know what makes me what to eat all the time, I just love food. But MFP is helping me make better choices.
  • jenn2782
    jenn2782 Posts: 47
    Options
    BUMP!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but here is what has helped me. Hope this isn't crap advice - you've lost a significant amount of weight already!

One, I never ever just eat 1200 calories except on rare occasions. It would be cool for a week and then I would totally lose it and binge on everything in sight. If this is your calorie level per day, it might not be right for you and think about increasing it.

Two, if it's bed time and I've consumed all of the calories I'm allowed to for the day, but I'm totally starving, I will grab an orange, or a banana - something to just take the edge off. Hell - even 2 oranges. Sure you go over by 60 to 100 calories, but this has been totally worth it for me.

Oranges have been huge for me as a late night snack. Somehow, the ritual of peeling them and eating them is really satisfying.

I also really dig those 15 calorie Popsicles (fake sugar in them, but honestly they have been a lifesaver. I will have to ween myself off of them when I start maintaining)

Herbal tea helps the edge also, with a tsp of honey.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long you've been at it, but I think stopping binging takes some good old fashioned practice.

I eat 4 meals per day at 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm. I have 350 or so calories per meal and shoot for 25 grams of protein and 20-30 carbs. I focus on that schedule and try not to deviate it. My only exceptions are when I workout, I will eat a pre and post workout snack or drink - 150 cals per snack. I was just thinking today how much easier this schedule is to follow compared to 3 months ago. I have developed a new habit and ritual and now I don't have to concentrate so hard on it.

Also - maybe try working out during your weakest time of the day with food. I always lose my appetite after a workout for a couple hours, so it helps me not think about food when I workout.
  • Josie50
    Josie50 Posts: 11
    Options
    mfp has really helped me in this area deadmittens. If I am over my calorie count for the day I hop on my crosstrainer and burn off those extra calories. I have found focusing on exercise instead of diet has been the only thing that has worked for me. I do try and be careful with food, but when I want to eat and eat and eat, I drink a couple of glasses of water, and try and eat weight watchers snacks. If you can pinpoint exactly what you want to eat, then eat that and move on, always ask yourself before you eat, is this what I really want? Can I choose a healthier option? Recently when I want to overeat, I just let myself feel hungry and carefully plan my next healthy snack or main meal. It feels great to be in control :-)
  • michellef3g
    Options
    Alot of binging is emotional eating so like others have said ask yourself it you are really truly hungry and wait for the answer. I have had some amazing arguments with myself as I try to convince mylself that I am truly hungry!! If I need to work that hard to convince myself then it is emotional. I will then try to go over my day and see what has set me off.....I am also great at sabotaging myself....thats why I am as big as I am...but now I realize that I am worth the effort and that meanie inside me will not win this time. Occasionally I give in but I dont`beat myself up about it. Tomorrow is a new day ..don<t give up
  • jammntp
    jammntp Posts: 2
    Options
    Personally I think the protein requirements are too low on this program. My trainer has set me up with different goals that are much higher in protein for sure, about double!

As for binging, if you're exercising, make sure you add it to your dairy. This will give you more available calories to consume.

When you binge,...make sure its clean foods.
    http://www.eatcleandiet.com/

It's not a diet so much as it is a change of how you eat and live. It helps. Remember that not all calories are created equally so you get more food out of a clean choice than you would out of a poor choice.

Good luck!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Isnt binging more about filling yourself "emotionally" and not really about being truly hungry?

Sometimes. But I remember really, really hard days when the hunger pains were incredible and you just lose it and go nuts, binging on ice cream or w/e.

When I ate just to ate, bored, or w/e, I never really pigged out like I did when I was truly starving.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Are u eating 2 pieces of fruit daily? Gotta eat fruit...
  • cmaurer4
    cmaurer4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To prevent myself from eating empty calories, I have been cutting up different veggies and putting them in baggies so they are prepared and ready to grab when I need a snack. I notice if I only cut up one type of veggie, I get bored eating it, so I try to put a variety in the baggies so my mind doesn't get bored.
  • helgamaria1
    helgamaria1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been trying the same method I used when quitting smoking, that is I wait, I wait 5 minutes and see if I forget about it, most of the time I do and if the craving pops up again an hour later I wait again and tell myself if I´m still dying for something in 5 minutes I'll figure it out then, very often the craving passes and I thank myself for doing me the favor of not mindlessly eating something unhealthy. You have to keep on doing what you where doing or go do laundry or something to occupy your mind. You can't just sit by the fridge and stare at the watch! If the craving is doesn't go away it probably means that you are hungry for real.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The smoking bit helps. I will wait five minutes to see if I forget about these awful urges.

Also, the orange advice helps as well! Thanks everyone!

And I'm looking at http://www.eatcleandiet.com/ now :D thanks!
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    & I haven't been binging on bad food. I can't even keep unhealthy food in the house or I will go crazy and eat it all right away.

I made a grilled ham & cheese after my brown rice/chicken breast dinner, but the sandwich was made with healthy diet-type bread, 45 calorie cheese slices, and pre-cooked canadian ham (60 calories in 3 slices yet I had only 2)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Sorry you feel like binging - I know how frustrating that is. Hang in there, we're all rooting for you!

My experience, for what it's worth, is this: I've noticed that it takes 3-4 days for me to get over the effects of eating empty carbs. I'm convinced it's physiological, not emotional. For days after eating something with sugar, I'm tortured by endless temptations. The only way I can get through it is to eat clean, and know that it WILL be over in a few days.

Eating beans and fruit seams to help. I don't know why.

I've also noticed that Equal and MSG cause similar feelings of loss of self control. I stay away from diet drinks, etc. and always check labels for code names for MSG, like Autolysed Yeast Extract and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein.

It was a huge undertaking for me to give up sugar, diet drinks and MSG, but now, I don't miss it. I feel great, and seldom have feelings of uncontrollable cravings.
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Do you smoke?
    Many emotional eaters and smokers are low in seretonin. 5htp helps. Understanding your need for carbs is a want for that feel good feeling. If one is chemically imbalanced (and whos perfect) then it can be extremely difficult.
    Their is also wellbutrin and buprobion-but these should be last resorts.
    Try slowly binging less and less frequently. Slowly get into good habits. Doing anything too fast will lead to...well a binge most likely. :) best of luck!
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    oh-and by the way-I am definetly not a doctor! nor am I a therapist or a shrink.

I am a fine art major LOL-but these are good questions you may want to bring up to someone who does know what they're talking about. :)