Stir Fry Seasonings?

Options
katiedid1179
katiedid1179 Posts: 9 Member
Hi-I'm experimenting with new recipes and have no idea what to season a stir fry with. I am not a creative cook and stir fries are new to me. Also, I'm trying to stay low- cal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• FoogooFish
    FoogooFish Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Here's one from my collection of online recipes: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/frozen-vegetable-stir-fry/
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I traditionally always use garlic, pepper, chili powder in my stir fry dishes they're my go to spices. Toward the end of the cooking process I add either a flavored balsamic vinegar or sometimes a bit of fresh orange juice. Stir fry's are really simple, most people think to hard about it, so my recommendation is just start tossing your favorite things in there and have fun with the expirimenting.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I use just low sodium soy sauce, granulated onion and granulated garlic. I'm not a ginger fan, but I know some people like to use that as well as sesame oil.
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    My go-to stir-fry ingredients: Ginger, Garlic, shallots, soy sauce & Sesame oil. I buy the paste ginger but you can also do the whole pieces and mince or dice it up. I like Shrimp/chicken, snow/sugar snap peas (whichever I can get), shredded carrots, shallots, broccoli, water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, soy sauce & sesame oil over brown rice.
  • katiedid1179
    katiedid1179 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone-All of your ideas sound great!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Lol, all I use for stir fry is soy sauce and MSG. Actually, that's practically most Asian dishes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Garlic, ginger and spring onion are the classic combination. Oyster sauce chilli, rice wine, soya sauce, five spice, sesame are all handy.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Fresh ginger, fresh garlic, and onion cooked in sesame or peanut oil are a good start. I generally just use premade stir fry sauces, but when I am cooking from scratch in the kitchen, fresh is key! I like having low sodium soy sauce, spicy oyster sauce, and fresh garlic cloves on hand whenever I am following an Asian or Southeast Asian recipe.
  • LewisAMartinez
    LewisAMartinez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What the others said. Sesame oil, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, pepper--maybe some lemon if I'm doing chicken.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Soy sauce, Teriyaki sauce, white rice vinegar, sesame oil, a squirt of honey, sriracha sauce, garlic and ginger.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    For sauce I use a mix of soy sauce, rice vinegar, PB2, brown sugar. If I want it to be more of a glaze I just add a little cornstarch. My stir fry veggies are typically broccoli and cauliflower, snap peas, water chestnuts, peppers and the lil baby corn stir fried in sesame oil.