Should i eat this? Or is it asking for a problem?

Options
I have surgery Thurs May 5th for my gallbladder to be removed. I have been craving the weight watchers ice cream bar. I have had several attacks but the last one was like almost a week ago that was severe and i had chilli for supper that night. Surgeon told me to stay away from ice cream but i've been eating sauce, cheese sticks, yogurt, pasta, fiber one bars, and yes spices with no problem... several minor attacks though but nothing like the pain i did have. I don't want to have another attack no freakin way but i really want this ice cream and i figured it should be okay since i am tolerating dairy? Any input? I don't wanna do something i am going to regret either.

Replies

• Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Go with the surgeon! Have all the ice cream you want on May 6!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask...that is probably an indication that you know the answer...

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    When I was in your position, I wouldn't take no chances cause those attacks were just awful. I'd follow doctors orders, but thats me.

Best of luck to you!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should be following ALL recommendations/restrictions from your surgeon.
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    When I was in your position, I wouldn't take no chances cause those attacks were just awful. I'd follow doctors orders, but thats me.

Best of luck to you!

Yeah they are beyond awful!! I just thought i'd ask i know certain people tolerate different foods and since i was tolerating the WW string cheese i thought maybe i would be okay with dairy but yeah i def don't want another one of those attacks.
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Listen to the doc. It's not worth it.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Sorry hon, your doctor wins. We can't over-rule doctors orders. :wink:
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    I don't think that the kind of food matters, so tolerating some foods better than others doesn't make sense to me. When you eat fat [any kind], bile is released from Gall Bladder and if a stone gets through into the duct, well you will regret it. My advice - Don't make your elective surgery an emergency one.
  • scaryfairy81
    Options
    Dairy was my trigger food with my gallbladder, and not spicy or greasy food. My sister was the opposite, she could eat dairy but anything greasy or spicy caused an attack. I did have one attack after something fried though, so you just never know. But after my surgery, I periodically have symptoms similar to a gallbladder attack when I either eat too much, or eat something greasy. My sister has had the same problem, usually with Mexican food. It's nowhere near as frequent or as severe, but be aware some people have digestive issues after gallbladder surgery! The upside is that it helps keep me motivated to eat healthy, because when I do, my digestive system is happier!
  • lovinmamaxo
    Options
    Thanks all decided not too eat it.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good idea on waiting. I had mine taken out via emergency surgery at Christmas. I went in with extreme pain expecting them to tell me it was in my head. Nope my gall bladder was so filled and ready to pop. Yikes! Enjoy the ice cream after.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you!

Yeppers, a bad attack makes you understand why some animals will eat through their stomach.
  • lovinmamaxo
    Options
    Good idea on waiting. I had mine taken out via emergency surgery at Christmas. I went in with extreme pain expecting them to tell me it was in my head. Nope my gall bladder was so filled and ready to pop. Yikes! Enjoy the ice cream after.

That's horrible! Are you feeling better now?