From stroke to reaching my goal weight. Lost 132 pounds and pictures

Options
mart001
mart001 Posts: 194 Member
This actually happened Dec 8, 2008, so Monday it will be 6 years ago.I just finished lunch with a coworker and was at target getting xmas supplies for our work, where i just lost my balance and fell. then I got up and fell again. thats when they called the paramedics. No pain, even though the day before i did notice my neck hurt but just assumed I pulled something. It all happened that quick. I now know my blood pressure was 260/140/ they said i was lucky i did not explode.

I remember my stroke, not knowing if I would even walk again or even end up in an assisted living facility, as I did not know what the outcome would be.
I suppose, at that time, even the dr's were not even sure. I was in the hospital for 35 days, 14 of which were in intensive care. I was paralyzed on the left side.Started off in a wheelchair, which I was not allowed to get in or out of my self, then progressed to a walker, then to a cane and finally nothing. I went to physical, speech and occupational therapy for the last 3 weeks in the hospital, as the first 2 weeks, they wouldnt let me do it until they got my blood pressure under control. Then after being discharged, the therapy continued for about another 2 months. I remember them telling me I was lucky, well in a weird way, and showed me others that had a similar type stroke, who would always be in a wheelchair and probably never progress and then alot don't even survive.
So I realize that i have come far. I do drive, even though that took awhile as I couldnt reach with my left arm to close the car door, so had to reach with the right arm. I would avoid drive thrus as I knew reaching was a problem. I was still eating bad,and of course not getting any exercise, so ended up gaining about 50 pounds, getting up to 282, which was one of the worst things after a stroke, because they say if you have 1 stroke, you are more likely to have a 2nd. I was was taking alot of medication, about 28 pills a day, many being blood pressure and pain, as there was damage to the left side of my body, and still is even to this day. There is always a burnt, cold tingling feel in my hands and feet, a tightness in my legs and knee, and my balance is off especially when my legs get tired. Then a friend told me about My Fitness Pal. I never was concerned about diet or calories, which is probably why I ended up with the stroke and being here. I love computers, electronics, and challanges, and was not sure if I would last on mfp for a week. Then a week later jan 14,2013, I bought a fitbit thinking it may motivate me. Before that, I probably walked 500-1000 steps a day. I started off slow, and now have walked 3200 miles. I guess it worked.
I realize if I didn't take the steps I did, I easily would have been over 300 pounds now, possibly having another stroke. I have gone from a 48 waist to a 32 and a xxl shirt to a small. I do not have cheat days. I figure that that is what got me here. That's not to say I am perfect. Now though if I want something bad, I work for it first, then eat it. For instance, if I want a 500 calorie cheesburger, before I would just eat it, but now I will exercise and when I burn those calories, then I will go eat it, kind of like a reward and it makes it easier knowing if I obtain that number, I will eat something I like. The one thing I didn't realize is the social aspect of this. I have met so many people from all over the world, some that I speak to almost everyday. Now that I am at my goal, I am staying with mfp to be held accountable and not to be like so many others I have seen, that get to their goal, leave and are back a year later, gaining everything back plus more.
This does work. I did it all thru watching caloriies and walking, as thats all i really can due because of the damage on my left side due to the stroke. I am sure a gym would have speeded it up, but I was ok with just the walking. While going thru this, I always felt this to me is more mentalthan anything. I just got to the point where i got more excited with losing a pound or a size in my waist, than have a piece of pizza or cake. I never let the scale bother me. I knew i was doing the right thing. If I lost great, If I didnt, to me it meant I wasn't working hard enough at it, so I was motivated either way.
I was one of those people that thought, this will never happen to me, but it did and it does, and the sad part is that i could have prevented it, but it is what it is and all i can do is try to be better and try to prevent this from happening again, To date I started at 282 pound, xxl shirt, 48" waist and now 2 years later. i am at 149 pounds, small shirt, 32" waist. I did not do anything drastic. The biggest thing for me as i am a super pickey eater, was that i still ate what i liked, but just watched calories. if i was forced to eat foods i didnt like, i doubt i would have lasted on here more than a week.Just that and got a fitbit pedometer, and walked, thats it. no secret pills or foods, I ate hot dogs, burgers, fries, grilled cheese etc but tracked calories and other nutrients and it worked. i have of course been going to the dr the last 2 years pretty much monthly and the dr is super happy with my blood work. I was on about 28 pills a day and now i am on less than 1/2 of that.
Hoping that maybe something that I have gone thru, can maybe prevent others from doing the same....Anyone that wants more info or just talk, feel free to email me or add as a friend anytime!!! have a great weekend...

Replies

• AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Incredible story! Thank you for sharing!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Wow!! What an awesome story and outcome!! Everyone that says it can't be done or it is too hard should read this. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing :)
  • berto23
    berto23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Great story, thank you for sharing. congratulation for your accomplishment.
  • arose928
    arose928 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    you were given a gift and you showed your gratitude by getting your act together.
    congratulations on your success.
  • wooflee90
    wooflee90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome, inspiring story! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your success.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful. You have done great. :mrgreen:
  • melaniedelane
    melaniedelane Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, although I did not have a stroke. I had a double lung transplant July of 2010. I was so happy that I could get around and breathe. I went out to eat with friends, and family and my weight has slipped up and up. I thought I weighed about 195. But when I went to my transplant clinic for check up I was 223 lbs, and my lung function had decreased by 17%, so I made up my mind then and there to lose weight. I have been dieting for only 2 weeks now. I have lost 5 lbs. It is a small step in my journey to getting healthy. It is encouraging to read your story and know that I can do this. I wish you all the best...
  • shballa
    shballa Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on turning your life around. What an inspirational story.
  • Serendipity5215
    Serendipity5215 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank~you for sharing your story! I'm glad that you took your "second chance" and that you are where you are today... congrats on your many successes! :)
  • Budgirl2455
    Budgirl2455 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow your story wasn't meant to be over. Thank you for sharing. AWESOME WORK!!! (*)
  • HfxJMac
    HfxJMac Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Great story! Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your health!
  • fat2fit4good
    Options
    So inspirational! Stroke runs in my family, and I am a great candidate to having one myself the way I am (was?) heading. Thank you for sharing such a heart-felt and personal story.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Great story and Congratulations! I can certainly relate to almost everything - except actually having the stroke (something my cardiologist has warned me about); In the hospital last winter dr’s tried to perform a procedure but had to stop because of blood pressure issues.

I thought they were kidding when they woke me up and bent over me saying they had to stop, as it was going to take up to 6 hrs and the risk/reward wasn’t there. Still taking various Meds…Rythmol, Pradaxa, Cardizem and others.

Like you - someone told me about MFP, as well as another calorie counter app. I started with one, but then went for MFP because it had a deeper database etc.

Over the last 1 year plus, I have gone from 5x to xxl and 60 waist to 42 – but I’m not done yet!

Thanks for the reminder and first-hand account re: the dangers of a stroke.

73641431.png
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Saw addit. photos you had posted elsewhere..simply amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!