How bad is pumpkin pie?

Options
I made the pumpkin pie recipe on the back of a can of Libby's pumpkin and it happens to be my favorite. I was wondering if anyone knows how "bad" it is? I know the 3/4 cup sugar isn't great, that makes two pies though and I used nonfat evaporated milk. The pie crust for one serving is about 4 grams of fat and 80 calories. I don't use the deep dish since I can make two regulars off one recipe.

the reason that I ask is I think I'm going to have to get it out of the house or else I will eat the whole dang thing. I already ate two pieces last night :embarassed:
Did I mention I also had leftovers? arg, I have to regain control!!!

Replies

• willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I made the pumpkin pie recipe on the back of a can of Libby's pumpkin and it happens to be my favorite. I was wondering if anyone knows how "bad" it is? I know the 3/4 cup sugar isn't great, that makes two pies though and I used nonfat evaporated milk. The pie crust for one serving is about 4 grams of fat and 80 calories. I don't use the deep dish since I can make two regulars off one recipe.

the reason that I ask is I think I'm going to have to get it out of the house or else I will eat the whole dang thing. I already ate two pieces last night :embarassed:
    Did I mention I also had leftovers? arg, I have to regain control!!!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Relax! Enjoy your left overs, especially the pumkin pie! We don't have holidays every day you know!
    Pumpkin pie is my favorite too! I had the home made kind though, which according to MFP was over 400 cals.! But, I just looked up Libby's, and it said: 284 cals., 39 carbs., 12 fats, and 6 protein in a 1/8 piece. That's not bad for one of the yummiest desserts out there! Just work it off with some extra exercise, that's what I'm doing!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Go to the link below and enter in all the ingredients in the pie plus the servings. It will tell you how many calories per servings there are:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I guess I better not eat the whole pie this weekend. :smile:
    I'm about to hit the gym, maybe I can work some of it off. I was able to resist some things but not this, I love it.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 144 g

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 272Calories from Fat 69

Total Fat 7.7g
    Saturated Fat 1.7g
    Cholesterol 2mg
    Sodium 222mg
    Total Carbohydrates 47.4g
    Dietary Fiber 2.0g
    Sugars 36.8g
    Protein 5.1g

Vitamin A 174% • Vitamin C 5%
    Calcium 14% • Iron 8%

Nutrition Grade B
    * Based on a 2000 calorie diet

1 regular pie crust (view)
    3/4 cup sugar (view)
    12 oz fat free evaporated milk (view)
    15 oz pure pumpkin (view)
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (view)
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (view)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Somehow when I know the 'cost' I dont always 'buy' the item!!

I ate 1 small peice and logged it in....last slice for me until Chirstmas. I had to walk/jog 45 minutes to earn that pie!!:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    I make a "crustless" pumpkin pie that I love--use Splenda instead of sugar, no crust. And, I use skim milk. Pour into pie pan and bake--great!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin is good for you, in the future, you can also look for sugar free or organic or go to the health food stores and get pumpkin.

you can also try this one:

Pecan Pumpkin Torte

Crust:
    1 1/2 c. toasted pecans
    2 tbsp. artificial white sweetener
    2 tbsp. soy flour
    1 egg white

Filling:
    2 cups canned pumpkin
    1 c. heavy whipping cream
    2 eggs
    1/2 c. artificial brown sweetener
    1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    1/4 tsp. allspice
    1/2 tsp. salt

Crust Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Food process pecans and sugar until fine. Add soy flour and egg white and blend 10 seconds more. Press in 8 1/2 inch torte pan. Blind bake crust for 15 minutes.

Filling Preparation:
    Beat pumpkin, cream, eggs, sugar, spices and all ingredients until well blended. Pour onto pecan crust and bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.

Yields 8 servings - approximately 6.5 net carbs per serving

http://www6.netrition.com/dixie_pie_crust_mix.html

No Bake" Creamy Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup - Canned Pumpkin
    • 1/4 cup - Cream or Sour Cream
    • 1 1/2 cups - Cool Water (not cold)
    • 6 tbsp - Softened Butter
    • 1 1/2 cups - Smaps Cold Cereal
    • 1 package - Pudding Mix Vanilla - 1 Net Carb - Single pack
    • 1 tsp - Pumpkin Pie Spice
    • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
    • 1/4 tsp Ginger
    • 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves

In medium sized bowl, add softened butter and GROUND up Smaps Cereal. Mix well and place in bottom of 8" or 9" pie pan. Coat one side of a piece of plastic wrap with non stick cooking spray and sprayed side down, use to press cereal mixture into bottom and sides of pie pan. Chill. In same bowl, combine dry pudding mix and SLOWLY whisk in cool water and whisk to mix well. Add 1/4 cup cream, pumpkin and spices. Whip the whipping cream until peaks form and fold into pumpkin mixture. Fill pie and chill for one hour (or until cold). Cut and enjoy. Makes 6 pieces. 3 net carbs per piece.

Traditional Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:

• 1 package Carb Counter's Vanilla Pudding Mix
    • 1 inner pack Carb Counter's Press 'n Bake Pie Crust Mix
    • 1 15oz. can Libby's Pure Pumpkin
    • 1/3 cup cream
    • 1 1/2 cups cool water
    • 2 large eggs
    • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.

Prepare pie crust mix according to package directions (do not bake) and place into 9" or 10" pie shell (note: placing thin strips of foil over edges of pie crust prevents over browning). In medium sized bowl, combine pudding mix and cool water - whisk until smooth and dreamy. Add cream, pumpkin, eggs and spice. Whisk for 1 or 2 minutes until well blended. Spoon onto unbaked pie crust shell and bake for 1 hour. Cool and serve. Refrigerate leftover pie. Makes 7 servings - 4 net carbs per serving.
  • Thank you shore for posting that website. Whenever someone asks how to figure out the calories in a recipe, someone always gives the sparkpeople website and I find that to be a huge pain in the backside to use (all the searching and what not). This one is so much easier! So, thanks for posting a great site!! :)
    Heidi
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Thank you shore for posting that website. Whenever someone asks how to figure out the calories in a recipe, someone always gives the sparkpeople website and I find that to be a huge pain in the backside to use (all the searching and what not). This one is so much easier! So, thanks for posting a great site!! :)
    Heidi

I agree! I've been using spark and it is a pain! Thanks Shore:drinker:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Bad bad bad! I ate too much:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • shorerider
    Options
    No problem--I love that one I posted--so easy to use! Just make sure that all the ingrediants were accepted. It will post a little red flag next to ones it doesn't recognize. If it does that, then do into their food database and search separately for something that matches the ingredient you're using and then use that term in your recipe.