Best appetite suppression methods

Options
2»

Replies

• ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hit your macros, and your personal calorie intake daily. Drink enough water, so you don't confuse thirst for hunger. Fat isn't the devil, so ensure you get enough to ensure satiety. And learn how to eat everything in moderation. Cutting out certain foods completely so you won't be tempted to overeat isn't a sustainable, viable solution long-term. Gradually learn self-control, and cultivate a healthy relationship with food. Good luck, OP! :)
  • bswith22
    bswith22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Coffee, coffee, and more coffee is what works for me
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. If you're exercising and using MFP's setup for calories, this means you can/should be eating back at least a portion of your exercise calories.

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to wait it out and be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

These are all very good. I'll add pay attention to your caffeine consumption. I've noticed if I drink too much caffeine I get really hungry in the following hours. Too much caffeine also effects my sleep quality (see #4).
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would try to not cut anything, so you dont feel deprived. I eat pasta, bread, potatoes, rice, etc every day. It is worth it to learn to not binge. Not easy, but worth it.

I cut out peanut butter for a few months, (so calorie dense!) and ended up eating like half a jar in a go during a stressful time. Now I cut NOTHING.

As for getting hungry, I eat often. Check my diary (its open). I eat 3 full meals a day, and 2 or 3 small snacks per day. Waiting too long between meals does not work for me. :smile:

I plan my day in the morning, before I have eaten anything, so I have a general plan for the day.

I don't eat grain at all, and since omitting it, I never crave it. We are all different.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    stephyy66 wrote: »
    I always get hungry .

Protein and fat are good at keeping you full.
    Other than that, sometimes it all comes down to mind/matter, mastering moderation, and telling yourself "no" when you know you want to eat, but know you aren't truly hungry. Learn your body's hunger cues, and keep at it. Good luck!
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Protein protein protein. But I think someone may already have mentioned that. :smiley:

I never found fibre helped me personally to stay full, but eating lots of fruit and vegetables can make me pretty tired of chewing. Make half your meal consist of low-cal fruit and veg and see if that helps.

After a lifetime of being told fat is bad, I find that making sure I get 25-35% fat in my diet does help stop me being hungry too. It's actually good for you and will, I've read, help keep your skin elastic which staves off wrinkles. Which is one of the best reasons ever to cook with olive oil and eat bacon again.

Now things that which lots of MFPers will think is terrible advice, but... a trick I learned from being poor and not having enough to eat - coffee. It does put you off eating for a little while. These days green tea seems to help too. And before I discovered the miracle of protein, chromium and psyllium husk supplements helped.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    stephyy66 wrote: »
    Eat nutrient dense, high fiber foods (think: green vegetables), plenty of fat, and drink lots of water.
    angieroo2 wrote: »
    Eat foods that are high in protein and fibre.

Thanks .. Is it okay to cut out bread pasta potatoes etc for two months .. Anytime I have any of those, I binge like crazy!
    Even when I have the brown version, I still eat all of it.

I do find that eating carbs makes me hungrier. However, you need them. You'll find that if you up your protein to at least 30% you won't have room for carbs anyway. I have lots of meals that are just protein and vegetables because of this. And when you do this, you probably won't find the carb-induced hunger being a problem any more.

Besides, after being on and off diets since I was 8 and having disordered eating for about 10 years somewhere in there too, I have learned not to cut anything. It's not sustainable, and it leads to binges.

You can get enough fibre from fruit and veg though, and you can supplement it with something like psyllium husk powder, which you can add to foods without really noticing. (And that stuff can fill you up too for almost no calories.)

Oh yes - seconding themedalist. Some carbs will have the opposite effect of bread and cake. Oats are awesome. 45g of those cooked in milk at 7:30am and I am good until lunch time.