C25K Motivation Thread

Options
There might be a few ones out there, but just in case I thought I'd start this one. I thought May would be a good month to do my C25K training. Always open to friends just starting out! :happy:

Replies

• skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    Right there with you! I am starting TODAY. Going to do weeks 1&2 this week and 3&4 next week before spacing it out. (I've been training informally, hence the combination of the first four weeks)

Let's keep each other going! My first 5K is June 4th - have you registered for one yet?
  • kerri76
    kerri76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am doing C25K training too. Are you following a specific plan? Do you have 5K planned? My first 5K is in June so I have to get moving!!! Good Luck!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    There are a few floating around, I think one is for starting in May actually. Tomorrow I start week 3, I love this program. I can already see improvements in my endurance just from weeks 1 and 2.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I haven't planned a 5k race yet, but I finished week 5 on Saturday, and will begin week 6 on Wednesday. I actually ran longer than the 20 minutes, just to say I can :)
  • carolathome123
    Options
    what is the c25k?? I see you all talking about it but dont know what it is..
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm starting W2 D1 today :D
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 already. It was tough! I have mine planned for October. 5 Months is plenty of time to train for a 5K. I'm such a strong person, I can do this!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I did day 1 already. It was tough! I have mine planned for October. 5 Months is plenty of time to train for a 5K. I'm such a strong person, I can do this!

You'll be FLYING through that 5k with ease by October :)
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    Options
    what is the c25k?? I see you all talking about it but dont know what it is..

C25k stands for Couth to 5k. 5k is 5 kilometers which is just a little more than 3 miles, it's like 3.1 miles. It's a program designed to help people train to run a 5k (3.1 miles) non-stop even if they've never run before, hence the name "couch to 5k." It's a 9 week program that has you running 3 times a weeks so that by the end of the 9 weeks you can run a 5k. It mixes running and walking. There are a lot of apps. I used to use one on my iPhone when I had one (I have an Android now and just downloaded a C25k ap on my fascinate this weekend but haven't used it yet). You plug in your headphones. Most of the apps you can run music in the background. The program will cue you when you're supposed to start running or when you're supposed to start walking. It helps you build up to be able to run the 3 miles at a time. It's a really great tool. I paid 2.99 for my app though, but I'd rather pay for a good app that download a free one that's crap.

There's also a c210k program now too...maybe i'll be that ambitious one day!
  • cowpoke06
    Options
    *couth = couch.* sorry
  • Ljc3
    Ljc3 Posts: 46
    Options
    This is exactly what I need! I would like to be able to run! Gobba download an app now and start tomorrow! I will def need lots of dedication for this because I have a hard time with jogging...good luck.all!
  • cowpoke06
    Options
    Just finished my week 1 day 1 of c25k and I feel really good :) Had a couple of snafoos with the app I downloaded. I was playing Pandora...then started the app and started running when it told me but .5 miles later it never said to walk! (this early your only jogging for 60 seconds at a time). When I stopped to check my phone, the app had shut down.

*note to app users, lock the buttons under settings so this doesn't happen to you! I just fast forwarded the program the amount of time I spent jogging nonstop and continued from there :) I was worried I'd get shin splints or struggle really bad I didn't which was surprising. I'm going to do my day 2 on Wed. How's everyone else doing?
  • danlyn
    danlyn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday and did better than I thought I would, although I can feel it a bit in my legs today. I downloaded podcasts from the C25K website and put them on my IPOD. So far, so good. My next day is Wed. also. Good luck everyone!!!
  • IrishEyes68
    IrishEyes68 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started the C25K Feb 1st, when we got a treadmill. We also had a training program that started the last week in March with a local sports store. So we were a little conditioned when we actually started running outside. Tonight was week 6 with the group run, we graduated the C25K on the treadmill...but running outside is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT! A few more weeks of the 'No Boundaries' program as they call it and our race is June 4th!

I feel great...the best I have in awhile. Stick with the program, it works !!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    I finished Week One on Sunday. I'm starting Week Two tomorrow! I'm not a runner but I made it through all the running segments in Week One so maybe there's hope for me after all :)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing my next day probaly Thursday or Friday..and one time over the weekend.
  • tammi_tammi
    Options
    I am stuck at 15 minutes! I just can run any longer than 15 minutes. It's frustrating but maybe I'm just not meant to be a runner.
  • Jennrz
    Jennrz Posts: 32
    Options
    I am stuck at 15 minutes! I just can run any longer than 15 minutes. It's frustrating but maybe I'm just not meant to be a runner.

You might need to slow down in order to get past the 15 minute mark. Run at a slower pace for a long amount of time then slowly build up a faster pace.
  • tammi_tammi
    Options

You might need to slow down in order to get past the 15 minute mark. Run at a slower pace for a long amount of time then slowly build up a faster pace.

Thanks. I'll give that a try...I never thought about slowing down.
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 6 this week. Week 5 was really easy. I want to go to a park near me...they have a 4 mile trail. I want to see how far I can run.