Can you help me make a workout program from this?

Options
I have always wanted to do a pistol squat. It's been a dream of mine. I think it's so bad@ss! Now, I realize I am a ways away from doing that, but I've been reading a lot about calisthenics and I figured that while I may not be able to do a pistol squat, I could probably do a burpee, or an inchworm, or mountain-climbers.

My problem is, I don't know where to start! I found this link with some great ideas on types of exercise , but I don't know how to group certain exercise together. Am I suppose to just do all 50 of them? In a row? Should I pick and choose a couple from each category?? And would some of them be better off being done together, rather than others?

So many questions...so little personal know-how :( Can anyone out there help me?

Replies

• KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If a pistol is your goal, there are two books that will teach you progressions that can get you there, The Naked Warrior and Convict Conditioning. Also, people such as Dr Mark Cheng and Franz Snideman have videos on youtube that will help.

I can tell you that hip and ankle mobility are important keys to your success.
  • HawtTamale
    HawtTamale Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the book recommendations. I'm looking them up right now :)
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    When I work out, I always try to incorporate some calisthenics in my routine - whether I'm doing cardio or strength training that day. I have a certain routine that I do, but I also will throw in new stuff.

I love this website you shared. If I were you, I would pick 5-10 of the exercises (I do 6-8 different exercises when I do calisthenics), and do 2-3 sets of each. When I do calisthenics, I don't really count my reps - I do them until I can't do them anymore -If I can do 15 without feeling a burn or starting to turn to jelly, I do something else. With my 6-8 exercises, 2-3 sets, I can get in a 20-40 minute work out, depending on what I do and how much my body can take.

It looks like this website gives you enough so that you can work each part of your body. Or you can focus one part (say arms) one day, and another (legs) the next.

You can also search you-tube for pistol squats. This is a good one for beginners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeZCRJpdVCI

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to do the exercises that are the most difficult for you in the beginning and work towards the exercise that's easiest for you at the end.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    There's a great article somewhere about training to do a pistol squat (dream of mine too). It maybe on scoobysworkshop or elsewhere, not sure but I'll come back and post the link if I can find it.

Try the flamingo/skater type in the meantime, they're not so bad.