Candida sufferer , help!

Options

Hi guys

So ever since I took an antibiotic for a rash, I have suffered getting Candida infections over the past few years. I'm pretty sure it's been a big cause of my former partner leaving me. I also think this condition may be causing other synptoms I have that are being mistaken for allergies.

Has anybody had the same problem, are there any good tips for fighting it off apart from creams and probiotic yoghurt?

Is there any foods I should just stay well clear of, or ones I should eat all the time?

Many thanks for any advice given in advance.

Replies

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor or a gynaecologist? What treatment did they prescribe?
  • Stitch_down_carbs
    Stitch_down_carbs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    doctors have only said to get over the counter stuff. I never thought too much about it because the supposed allergies were bothering my life alot more. now i'm thinking they could be related but have a hospital appointment for that, so I will ask then.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Strong Probiotics (25 billion at least), 4 a day at first and staying away from sugar as much as possible will go some way toward helping.
    Sorry, I have to ask...... why would your partner leave because you have candida??
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, there's still not enough research on probiotics being successful in preventing candidiasis in the reproductive area. Typically it is most useful for the digestive tract - also pending research. I think once you go see the Dr. they can give you a script to get rid of this easily, instead of using OTC meds
  • krustyoldhag
    krustyoldhag Posts: 65 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ok - I have one informative suggestion....
    Get your hands on the book "The Fungus Link" by Doug Kaufmann.
    Serious information about systemic candida infections and how to rid your body of them naturally. His website is called "know the cause". Here's a link to a PDF copy of the phase 1 anti-fungal diet. It has helped me in ways that prescription drugs could not!!!
    http://www.robinallan.com/uploads/1/6/2/7/1627227/antifungaldiet.pdf

- In the meantime, i would suggest going to a natural health food store and getting some Oil of Oregano capsules. Take them WITH FOOD - otherwise they can burn and give you stomach aches. Also take some Caprylic acid. It's a fatty acid found in coconuts and is a strong anti-fungal (candida is a fungus).
    Take like 3 times a day and drink LOTS of water. Take your weight and divide it by 2. That's how many ounces of water you should be drinking. Hydration is a big deal when you are trying to rid your body of any nasties, because they die off and if you don't filter them out efficiently, you can start to feel sick - like flu type symptoms. - I'M NOT A DOCTOR BUT, THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME!!!!
    Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • Stitch_down_carbs
    Options
    Strong Probiotics (25 billion at least), 4 a day at first and staying away from sugar as much as possible will go some way toward helping.
    Sorry, I have to ask...... why would your partner leave because you have candida??

Hmm because it made intercourse for me painful at times, and he got fed up of it.

• Stitch_down_carbs
    Options
    Serious information about systemic candida infections and how to rid your body of them naturally. His website is called "know the cause". Here's a link to a PDF copy of the phase 1 anti-fungal diet. It has helped me in ways that prescription drugs could not!!!

- In the meantime, i would suggest going to a natural health food store and getting some Oil of Oregano capsules. Take them WITH FOOD - otherwise they can burn and give you stomach aches. Also take some Caprylic acid. It's a fatty acid found in coconuts and is a strong anti-fungal (candida is a fungus).
    Take like 3 times a day and drink LOTS of water. Take your weight and divide it by 2. That's how many ounces of water you should be drinking. Hydration is a big deal when you are trying to rid your body of any nasties, because they die off and if you don't filter them out efficiently, you can start to feel sick - like flu type symptoms. - I'M NOT A DOCTOR BUT, THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME!!!!

Thank you for so much advice, I can't see the pdf but I am looking through the Kauffman website right now and I am definitely going to try the supplements

I do have flu like symptoms, I get constant ear aches, a constant cough and my nose just blocks up all the time, fevers too . :( Sometimes it disappears for a week or so and then boom! flares up again.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    For me it helped not having milk and yohurt for years. It is just that I moved house and had a different type of breakfast for a while (just bread, no yoghurt/milk muesli) and it was gone. Started as soon as I had milk again. HJad none for 3 years seems to have done the trick for me
    These days it is fine, but it has to be full fat milk/yohgurt I eat, anything non-fat seems to trigger it. No idea why. Sombody told me it may have been differences in acidity, but really that is just a guestimate for me.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Sol_noir wrote: »

Hmm because it made intercourse for me painful at times, and he got fed up of it.

-_____-" Things like these make me want to slap someone...

I don't think a certain type of food will help prevent Candida in the reproductive area. Even thinking about it, I am not sure how that would work out, except by improving your immune system through better nutrition. Do ask your doctor about it – Candida is a fungus and those are mostly battled with specific products. If you are only seeing a GP, I'd recommend you also ask to make an appointment with a gynaecologist.
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My mom and a friend have yeast/fungus troubles and each have found relief by reducing the sugar/simple carbs in their diet. Might be worth a try!!
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Thank you for so much advice, I can't see the pdf but I am looking through the Kauffman website right now and I am definitely going to try the supplements

I do have flu like symptoms, I get constant ear aches, a constant cough and my nose just blocks up all the time, fevers too . :( Sometimes it disappears for a week or so and then boom! flares up again.

This is very interesting. I have had those problems for a long while, but I had a wisdom tooth out and had to have my lower right second molar fixed, which included taking an antibiotics course. My experience of antibiotics before is, to suffice to say, resulted in the thrush from hell. I have since had flaking skin on my palms, which sounds like it could be candida related. It gets worse if I eat sugar.

I also have the ear aches and stuff, but I still think that might be sinusitis.
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Then good riddance!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I always get this when I take antibiotics (always). Especially for zpacks, prednisone etc. But any and all antibotics. I ALWAYS ASK for fluconazole when I get antibiotics. This will clear it up with 1 or 2 doses. It always works. Once the doctor writes the script, I always tell them about getting infections, and they will prescribe you 1 or 2 150 mg of this medication. AGAIN IT ALWAYS WORKS... 1 to 2 days this is gone.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Get over the counter mycostatin, you can get various forms. There are also generics of it available, which are cheaper. Also, if it's a recurrent issue and you're on antibiotics frequently, most docs will prescribe a one time dose of diflucan that you take with the antibiotic, orally, which is an antifungal like the mycostatin. Good luck!! PS, I'm a retired nurse!!
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    One more thing, there is no proven scientific research for using a probiotic for this infection. Probiotics are mainly for digestion and the immune system. This infection mimic flu like systems, urinary infections (type of feeling). And yes guys do think this is absolutely the grosses stuff! I am lucky to have someone that completely understands this. I think that your guy has his own issues... But I swear, the antifungal I mentioned works 100% of the time. I actually have a lot of doses left over, from where the doctors prescribe me enough to take care of. Your doctor will know exact what you are talking about. We (some woman) have a sensitivity to antibiotics (maybe sulfur sensativeity - but I have not found out for sure, a lot these are sulfur type meds)... Anywhoo, please feel free to write me... I completely understand about this especially the emotional ties when getting this and dealing with your partner!
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Let me mention, that you take the antiviral after you are finished taking the antibiotic. It will not work until you are done with putting the antibiotic in your body! For example my doctor state: "take 1 tablet everyday (2 doses) after augmentin". Your symptoms (actual infection, pain and discomfort will almost be completely gone within 24 hours.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I always get this when I take antibiotics (always). Especially for zpacks, prednisone etc. But any and all antibotics. I ALWAYS ASK for fluconazole when I get antibiotics. This will clear it up with 1 or 2 doses. It always works. Once the doctor writes the script, I always tell them about getting infections, and they will prescribe you 1 or 2 150 mg of this medication. AGAIN IT ALWAYS WORKS... 1 to 2 days this is gone.

This. There is no reason I know of for your doctor not prescribing you Diflucan or similar if you have been suffering this long (unless you are allergic to it). It has always worked for me.
  • wool_gathering
    wool_gathering Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some diflucan from your doctor! I had a similar issue, and they had me take diflucan once a week for 6 months. I've only had one small yeast infection since, which cleared up really fast.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    So ever since I took an antibiotic for a rash, I have suffered getting Candida infections over the past few years. .

Sol_noir the connection between taking Antibiotics and Candida is known for sure. Read these below links and see what you think about the info. Read the first link completely. The kill off of bad bacteria can bring some short term discomfort I can tell you but in my case it was worth it.

Per some an overgrowth of Candida also can cause an addiction like craving for sugar/carbs.

After I got in to taking large amounts of coconut oil by mouth I think it may have corrected a Candida problem but this is not for everyone.

caringonline.com/eatdis/reports/nutrition/sugar_cravings.html

Copied from the above article: (My note: Coconut oil is 9% Caprylic acid)
    "Caprylic acid, a short chain fatty acid, is extremely effective against candida and is, fortunately, available over the counter at health food stores. Look for a slow release formula of about 300-500 mg. and arrange for a dose of 500 to 1000 mg. with each meal."

Be sure and read the article from top to bottom well.

authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

4. The Lauric Acid in Coconut Oil Can Kill Bacteria, Viruses and Fungi, Helping to Stave Off Infections
    Running Away From Pathogens

Almost 50% of the fatty acids in coconut oil is the 12-carbon Lauric Acid.

When coconut oil is enzymatically digested, it also forms a monoglyceride called monolaurin.

Both lauric acid and monolaurin can kill harmful pathogens like bacteria, viruses and fungi (8).

For example, these substances have been shown to kill the bacteria Staphylococcus Aureus (a very dangerous pathogen) and the yeast Candida Albicans, a common source of yeast infections in humans (9, 10).

Bottom Line: The fatty acids and breakdown products in coconut oil can kill harmful pathogens, potentially helping to prevent infections.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

This. And I can't imagine, with fluconazole out there, a doctor recommending over the counter stuff.

I'm on immune suppressants, prone to infection, and tend to be yeasty thanks to hormone fluctuations of menopause. Not eating too much sugar and taking probiotics helps, but I've never had a doctor refuse my request for fluconazole. If you're just seeing a GP, please go to a gynecologist.