Getting bigger!!

Options
Hi, I think I know the answer already but could do with some advice. I am currently 12 and a half stone. My, ideal weight is 11 stone as I am naturally very sporty and muscly.
I train very hard 5 days a week, running, cross fit, weights and Hiit training e.g metafit.about an hour each session.i look heavier and bulkier than ever, I am really getting very muscly. Whilst this is ok, it's not the look I am after and am desperate to slim right down. I find it very hard unless I run only to lose weight.
I am eating everything!!!! I am constantly hungry. Should I really cut back on calories, i,e 1500 a day to get to this goal.. In the past I have always been able to eat anything and not pile any weight on??
I am getting really strong and whilst this is good, eating loads on top of that seems to making me huge. I want to have a lean sporty woman look. Thanks for any advice

Replies

• fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight you have to eat less, period. If you don't want to gain muscle you need to cut back on the weight you are lifting.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    OP, go here:http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ , whatever your TDEE is, subtract 500 from that.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You need to increase reps and cut the weight in the weight training. More reps = endurance muscle. If you are doing heavier weights and less reps, that only adds bulk. Agreed with fredgiblet - you will need to eat less - make sure you get 30 minutes of cardio post-weights and do 1 day of long cardio.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight it is because you are eating at a caloric surplus. If you are simply dropping body fat and revealing more muscle, then.... why are you complaining? This is exactly what you want. But if you are gaining in size, then eat at a caloric deficit, log properly.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You need to increase reps and cut the weight in the weight training. More reps = endurance muscle. If you are doing heavier weights and less reps, that only adds bulk. Agreed with fredgiblet - you will need to eat less - make sure you get 30 minutes of cardio post-weights and do 1 day of long cardio.

No. Heavy weights and low reps build strength, not "bulk". Generally anywhere from 8-20 reps to failure, depending on the muscle targeted and the individual, cause the greatest increase in muscle size.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    This is not accurate. The amount of reps you do does not determine whether or not you get bigger or more muscular. You can do light weight high rep and gain muscle as well as heavy weight low reps. It's got much much more to do with diet. If you eat more then you burn, and you train weights, you gain muscle and fat. If you lift weights and you eat less per day then you burn, you lose fat and maintain lean mass. If you want to lose weight, as others have said, you must eat less.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    "Desperate to slim", means you need a caloric deficit.