keeping weight off over holiday and winter months

Options
I am up 4 lbs and finding it difficult this time of year. What is helping you?1) I keep telling myself I don't have to go to every eating event,2) I don't have to eat everything.3) I wear my jeans and not stretch pants.

Food just seems to taste so good this time of year. 4) I need to socialize more rather than eat.
5) so much temptation, I keep saying but you have to take care of yourself,love yourself enough not to overeat.

Any other tips helping you, maintaining is just as hard if not harder than losing. For those trying to get there it is a lifelong thing, still difficult for me but worth it. oh yes a 6) remembering how I felt when I was heavy, miserable and did not respect myself

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    What I do is grab something to drink that looks like a drink - club soda and lime, and never set it down. I also stand as much as I can and let others sit. If I have a sit down dinner party type of thing I just don't eat it all. No bread, no pasta, no rice, no potato. It has served me well since Christmas Eve 2011.
  • Teal4me
    Teal4me Posts: 104
    Options
    Chose healthier options for food. Have smaller portions. And keep that bottled water on hand drinks lots will keep you full. Best of all don't deprive yourself a tiny amount will not hurt. And "Talk to yourself it truly helps :) Good luck
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Teeny, tiny portion sizes! For Thanksgiving, I took small portions of everything so I could enjoy some of everything, but not feel too guilty about it.

I also found some low fat/sugar dessert recipes to make for Christmas this year.
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Go to all the parties, and all the restaurant meals, and all the pub nights ... But after having exercised a very big lot beforehand!

I budget so that I can have whatever I want, but it does mean lots of gym time. It's totally worth it!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Workout more and eat lighter meals (but don't NOT eat) the day of events and enjoy myself. On days I don't have something, I eat at a lower calorie allowance to balance out the week.

And you don't have to join the clean plate club. If you try something and it's not delicious, don't eat more just to be polite!
  • Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I give in. Eat and drink and enjoy myself at Thanksgiving / Xmas... just a couple days won't kill you. But the weeks between those dates, I hold myself to eating better/lower calories. I've also worked out every day since Nov 1 alternating between legs/arms/cardio so I don't work anything too hard, but still burn calories every day. My goal this month is to stay the *same* weight - and you know what, 1 month a year, I'm ok with that.
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy it, just in smaller portions. Thanksgiving I skipped the mashed potatoes so I could have a little bit more of the sweet potato casserole and added more green beans. I don't think k a couple of days during this season will hurt, especially if you're still doing good all of the other days. Maybe try logging your food before going and sticking with that? That's helped me.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    a couple of days wont hurt but food is everywhere every day it seems. Hubby says bring me some chocolate santas home a few minutes ago. Moderation, yep, I am trying. Logging is helping but to be honest I been going over about 800 daily, not good, trying again today. I find if I do a light supper that helps.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i am signed up for a March Half-marathon. it's keeping me focused on running and eating right.

but i still enjoy myself at family dinners. just need to be moderate.
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What I'm doing if forcing myself to eat better. I really can't say it any other way. Today I had this huge black tie event at the Sequoia right next to the Kennedy Center for Christmas and let me tell you about the food selection there. You should have seen the cookies and snacks at the end. I went right to the fruit, and that's what I filled my plate up with. I did some eggs, bacon and one glass of red wine. That was it. I ate right away once we arrived so I wouldn't have an accident as I eat without even thinking at times. I exercised 95 minutes early in the morning. Anything now I put in my stomach I think about. My motivation is I want to look pretty at my age and fit into my size 6 pants if it kills me. Now I'm a small person petite so that size is not for everyone. But I look every day at that expensive Ann Klein size 6 pants and I think I can do it..
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Sixteen days off from work over the break, like the last two years, I will commit to three a day sessions, and keep food intake within reason, Christmas day is the only day of the year I don t care how much I eat.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eat light leading up to the event(s) and then enjoy my time/food when I go to said places. Also, just keeping up my current exercise, and if possible, get a little extra.
  • gregsterUK100
    Options
    Just keep in mind what you're doing and why you're doing it. But be realistic with your plans....I am having Christmas day off!
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh so far for me it's sticking to a deficit whenever I can... Pretty much trying to avoid treats and eating a whole lot of protein and veggies during the week, so on the days I go over, I have some calories 'banked'. My goal is also 150-200 calories under my TDEE for that reason, and on good days I can eat 300 under that even.

I've been doing that for 2 weeks and so far it pretty much evens out, even if I had a couple 3000+ days.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I guess you just have to ask yourself "is it worth the calories?" I have a friend who has a 3 bite rule. If she wants a taste, she will only have 3 bites.
    Do what is right and works for you. If you can get through the holidays and go right back to eating sensibly when they are over, it is probably not a big deal.
    For me, it would be the start of a slippery slope. One day leads to two, then a week, then a month, then a year, then a decade. Constant monitoring myself is the only way for me. I will not allow myself to go back and become one of the statistics who went from being morbidly obese to a normal weight, and then gains back even more weight after being successful. I have spent almost 3 years getting to where I am and it simply is not worth it to me to give in to the temptation.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    you are right, it is a slippery slope, I like the 3 bite rule, in fact I just did that with hubbys whopper, I am forcing myself right now to do right. I don't want that weight back and be out of my clothes. I am going right now to try on my shorts and it is like 30 degrees here. I don't care I want to be able to wear them when summer comes. It is a great feeling, thanks for the replies.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Look over all the goodies, pick the best in small amounts, leave the rest. And then eat veggies to keep my mouth busy so I don't eat just to eat!

Eat cold cuts or protein and skip the bread and potatoes.

I also drink water instead of punch or soda and only drink eggnog in one LITTLE glass. That leaves a lot more calories for goodies.

I love to cook and bring something I can eat a lot of to anything that's potluck. I find that it's not just me that's happy to see something healthy to much on.

And when I want to eat, I just EAT. Meals are to enjoy. Log it. Make up for it the rest of the week, and go on.
  • hilaria81
    hilaria81 Posts: 84 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is my first-ever holiday season of being active on My Fitness Pal. I lost 42 pounds this year (and gained 1 in the last week, so right now it's a net of 41 - I've kept alternately losing/gaining that pound for the last month!). It is REALLY REALLY hard for me at this time of year, but I've been walking at least a mile on the treadmill most days of the week, taking Vitamin D religiously, and logging every single day except maybe 3 or 4 "vacation" days per month (parties, etc.). I am still over my calorie goal many days, but it's probably not nearly as bad as it would be if I didn't log at all. I bet I ate at least 4000 calories a day during the holidays last year, now it's about half that.

Hoping in January it will be easier - fewer parties, slightly more daylight which helps with seasonal depression, more time to get to the gym, etc.

Edit: The suggestions about exercising more and/or eating lighter meals on party days are great! I'm trying to drink overall more green tea and smoothies with almond milk (and sometimes some spinach) too. Low in calories, but still satisfying and tasty.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    The holidays are fast upon us. Just wanted to share this with everyone. It's not what you eat from Thanksgiving to Christmas. It's what you eat from Christmas to Thanksgiving that really matters. Life is short. Don't go crazy, but enjoy! :D