I can eat 2400 calories a day?!?

Options
Hey everyone!

The other day my boyfriend bought me a polar HRM watch, the next day I put it on as soon as I woke up to see how many calories I burn in a day. The whole day I burnt 2400 calories. I was on my feet a lot and did a quick 30 minute cardio session at the gym but to say I was shocked was an understatement. Did I really burn that many calories in 15 hours?

Replies

• DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Don't believe it, too many variables to be accurate.
  • TropicalParaMonster
    TropicalParaMonster Posts: 151 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The cardio session can play a role. Not only do you burn calories during, but also after the session when your heart rate's still up.
    You could go calculate you TDEE (basically how many calories you're burning daily with/without activity - you add that) and compare it to 2400. I prefer the only TDEE method! :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    They don't work that way. Only use them when doing exercise.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    HRM are not meant to track your entire day's activity. They're meant to track steady-state cardio. So the number you got is probably inaccurate.
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you burn 2400 calories a day 7 days a week ,without changing your calarie intake , you would lose 4.8 lbs a week.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Take the numbers with a grain of salt. A HRM is a pretty good estimator. It takes your current body weight into account and that 2400 is probably close to your TDEE, which spans 24 hours. You're always burning calories, even when you sleep. So yeah, that's why the "average intake" for most adults is about 2000 calories a day. I don't know what your height and weight are but that's a good ballpark for maintaining.
  • notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    Depends how much you weigh. For my weight and height that's probably how much I burn a day. My TDEE to lose is 2000 a day.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    That is not how a HRM works.

They only work for steady state cardio, and the calories burned will be a rough estimate for that alone.

Wearing one for the day is not an accurate way to measure calories burned.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I'm not an averaged size adult (pretty short, under 5') but I have been maintaining at about 2000 calories a day with the amount of exercise I do. I used to wear a FitBit and it was pretty close to all the TDEE calculators out there. Hope that helps!
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'd say calculate your TDEE with your normal activity level (including work but not excersize).
    Use the HRM for Steady State cardio as mentioned before to provide an estimation on the calories burned, but even then its outcome might be inaccurate.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    prestigio wrote: »
    I'd say calculate your TDEE with your normal activity level (including work but not excersize).
    Use the HRM for Steady State cardio as mentioned before to provide an estimation on the calories burned, but even then its outcome might be inaccurate.

It also doesn't take into account how many calories you would have burned regardless of added exercise
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    That's not how this works....
    BlackElatedHarpyeagle.gif
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    That's not how this works....
    BlackElatedHarpyeagle.gif

<3
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 145 & 45 yr old and I maintain at 2300 calories with moderate activity, so it is possible.
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 145 & 45 yr old and I maintain at 2300 calories with moderate activity, so it is possible.

You have no idea how happy you've made me! I'm 5'6, 32 yr old, and highly active/to moderately active. start weight: 173 current weight 147.8 goal weight: 143... 2300 cals a day sounds like a comfortable amount I could actually stick with for life.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey I am 5ft 2 and 35 I often eat more than 2400 to maintain 105 pounds (7st 7) ;)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    BTW, in answer to your question, even if you did burn 2400 calories no, you should not eat that much if you want to lose weight.
    To lose weight, you need to eat less than you burn.
    An easy way to do it is to eat 10x your healthy goal weight (based on BMI, in pounds) in calories.

I started out aiming for 170 lb, so I was eating 1700 cal/day. (That's TOTAL, not net. Ignore net, ignore exercise.)
    I could have kept going on that until I got to 170, but it would have eventually gotten very slow, so as I hit plateaus I dropped 50-100 cal, kept exercising, & waited until my body figured out it should lose some more weight.
    I'm currently aiming for 1400, which is still in a healthy goal weight for my height. (My doctor suggested 1300, & I may eventually get there.) Once I get to goal (no more than 160) I'll nudge the calories up until I stop losing, which should be about 15 cal/lb.

51637601.png
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    If you want to know your TDEE buy a fitbit