My cholesterol is down!

Options
jennajoehro
jennajoehro Posts: 37 Member
So...background...I got my cholesterol tested in mid-December and it was super high...267. Eeks. My doctor was talking about putting me on meds to try to get it down, since there is a lengthy history of heart disease in my family and having high cholesterol and triglycerides is not exactly a healthy thing.

I wanted to try to lower it through diet and exercise. So I switched up my routine, started exercising more, and really started watching what I ate. Coincidentally, I started training for a half marathon during this time, and I also joined MFP. Score!

I've been exercising between 6 and 7 hours a week for the past 3 months, and eliminated beef, cheese, eggs, french fries, cookies, cake, and ice cream from my diet from Feb. 1st-May 1st.

I had some blood tests a couple of weeks ago and just got my results today:

Cholesterol: 267 in mid-December
lowered to 223 by mid-April (44 pts. down!)

LDL cholesterol: elevated in mid-December
lowered to "normal" range by mid-April

Triglycerides: elevated in mid-December
lowered to "normal" range by mid-April

I am so frickin happy about this. It's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders! I realize that my cholesterol is still considered elevated, but it's dropped a significant amount.

Replies

• Carolynsb3
    Carolynsb3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Congratulations! I just received the bad cholesterol report also. It's heartening to see it can be done. Way to go!
  • jennajoehro
    jennajoehro Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you eat it already, but oatmeal has become my go-to breakfast food. Old-fashioned oats, some wheat germ, a tsp. of brown sugar, and some sugar-free pancake syrup on top. I don't have absolute proof, but I'm convinced that this has helped with the numbers going down.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!