When injury prevents the exercise you love

Options
I am trying to find ideas for ways to change up my working out that will motivate me again. Short history:
I started running at the beginning of the year, and I really liked it. I got up to a 10K by April, and I was trudging right along. In May, I fell and tore my meniscus. I didn't realize it was torn for a couple of months because I just didn't go to the doctor. I tried to continue running, but my knee would swell and hurt a lot after even just 2 miles. Fast forward to August, and the ortho told me I needed surgery. I had about 40% of the meniscus removed, and the doc said no more running if I wanted my knee to last for a long time (I am 38). After the surgery, I did physical therapy, and I have had both cortisone shots and Synvisc-One to help lubricate my knee because I have still having pain.
Since the injury, I have been doing some walking, but it isn't the same after running. I liked the idea of doing races, setting goals, etc. I have put a bike on layaway to start that up, but that is at the recommendation of my doc. I hope I like it well enough to justify the cost. :)
I have always hated strength training (shock! a girl who likes cardio and hates strength! :smile: ) I know that I probably need to move toward that more, but I don't really know the best way to start. I was thinking about interval training as well, but I don't know how well that will work with the knee thing. I can't really jump and lunge a lot right now.
So, with all of that being said, I am fishing for ideas to get me moving back in the right direction. I want to enjoy working out when I do it because it is a stress reliever for me, but I am falling short on good ideas for something that will keep me motivated.

Things pertaining to my situation to consider:
  • I don't have access to a gym right now as my daughter goes to work with me, and I can't stop by on the way home from work. My schedule is pretty tight, so evenings are the only good time for me to workout. I live about an hour from the closest gym.
  • I don't live near a pool or anything.
  • I am out in the country, so being outside after dark is kind of hard.

Thank you very much for anything you can share!!! :smiley:

Replies

• Ehrmantraut
    Ehrmantraut Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am not sure exactly how to give you advice as to what particular exercises you could do with your injury BUT I have had 2 knee surgeries on my left knee and my right knee is not the strongest. And I am a lover of running but rarely do it anymore if I don't want to be limping for days afterward. I have substituted with interval training on a bike and hated it at first but learned to love it. You can essentially do interval training with any exercise program you are doing, you are the boss. It doesn't need to be tough on your knees, it just needs to get your heart rate up. I booked a trainer for only two sessions and realized a big part of where my weakness in my legs are which is causing such strain on my knees, which he made me aware of. Family doctors, surgeons and even physical therapy didn't aware me of any of this. Now that I have been training and strengthening not just the muscles around my knees but my IT band, glutes, core and basically everything from the waist down, after only 2 weeks I am not receiving as much pain or nearly as often in my knees. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a little research. So good luck to you and I hope you get back to what you love doing the most :)
  • ggluvbug1
    ggluvbug1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How long are your intervals on the bike?
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to relate. I love running and have been grounded due to achilles/calf problems, which I must let restore completely (while also doing exercises and stretches). It's horrible. My head is all messed up without running. I haven't really run since Sep 19th, and even that was just attempting a short morning run (5k) through the pain. I haven't run long-ish (10mi) since July 5th!! I NEEEEED to get out for a run to clear my head. :-( I love walking, but it just isn't the same (and I've only been able to walk my daily 10,000steps lately, as the legs are finally restoring). I do, however, like hitting the gym for resistance training. I really love pushing my muscles at the gym and feeling sore the next day. But it doesn't fill the void that running does. If I had access/time/money/etc, I would try perhaps rowing/kayaking as a replacement because I remember canoing when I was younger as having that same meditative quality that I get from running (but upper body only, obvs). Do you have access to rowing? Swimming would also probably feel similar to the soul. And a good heavy bag for punching would probably be a miracle worker! Good luck and heal well. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your bike...riding is awesome. I love my weekend rides around the city...I do a big loop of about 30 miles in a couple of hours and it's just amazing to see my city from a bike rather than a car. I see way more now than when I just ran.
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    I have a smallish pond, so I could consider rowing. I would be going in a circle, but that would be a start. That may be something I could get my husband into as well.

And I agree, walking just isn't the same.
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Enjoy your bike...riding is awesome. I love my weekend rides around the city...I do a big loop of about 30 miles in a couple of hours and it's just amazing to see my city from a bike rather than a car. I see way more now than when I just ran.
    I thought about this. I will see more. I live way out in the country, so I will be on back roads. My only concern is possibly running across dogs people don't keep in their yards, but I have a plan for that.
    When you ride, how fast do you go? How do you maintain your heart rate? I am just thinking about how riding for exercise must be different than riding when I was a kid (the last time I actually rode)...

• cwolfman13
    Options
    ggluvbug1 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I thought about this. I will see more. I live way out in the country, so I will be on back roads. My only concern is possibly running across dogs people don't keep in their yards, but I have a plan for that.
    When you ride, how fast do you go? How do you maintain your heart rate? I am just thinking about how riding for exercise must be different than riding when I was a kid (the last time I actually rode)...

How hard I ride depends on how long I intend to go...it's no different than running in that RE. Your speed is also going to be dependent on your bike.

You're not out for a simple joy ride like when you were a kid...I'm pretty much always peddling...my legs rarely stop. You don't "cruise"...you ride.

For me, a lot depends on my route and obviously distance. If I'm doing a lot of flat runs I make it a point to gear down and make myself get out of the saddle and pump for awhile from time to time...otherwise I have hills to contend with, sprinting across traffic, etc. Heart rate stays up just fine so long as you're not just out joy riding.

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I took up biking whe I wasn't able to run because of my knees. I still commute to work because it's a fun and efficient way of getting some extra exercise in. Have you tried boxing for cardio? It was another one of my options when I was injured and is lots of fun. You can use a bag or if you've got a partner get them to hold the pads for you.

Not sure why you hate strength training but give it a good chance. Have you ever tried circuit training using weights and body weight. Not pure strength training really but could be a good option for you. You'll be able to get an awesome workout and avoid exercises that might be harder on the knees
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Id ask the physio about using a Concept rower for rehab. Theres a whole indoor rowing sport and Concept lets you link up and race against other people. From what ive read its better than a bike because its not weight bearing and also when you are using pressure its on both knees and not alternating like on a bike.
  • vangos7
    vangos7 Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Cycling is probably the best answer you will get. Speaking from experience, it is much easier on your meniscus. And you can have the same kind of motivation as running by setting goals, participating in races, etc. Cycling in the countryside is even better than doing it in the city. How fast you need to go depends on many factors, like your fitness, your terrain, your goals and your bike. You will figure it out very quickly, it's not something you need to worry about.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    vangos7 wrote: »
    Cycling is probably the best answer you will get. Speaking from experience, it is much easier on your meniscus. And you can have the same kind of motivation as running by setting goals, participating in races, etc. Cycling in the countryside is even better than doing it in the city. How fast you need to go depends on many factors, like your fitness, your terrain, your goals and your bike. You will figure it out very quickly, it's not something you need to worry about.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that cycling races are awesome...I enjoy doing 5Ks and whatnot, but I really love my event rides the most.

Thus far I've been mostly doing road events on my CX bike with commuter slicks, but I'm getting a mountain bike next year and I'm going to start doing more of that. I'm really interested in a cross country terrain century ride they have here in the spring...it covers both mountain and desert off-road terrain as well as a stretch of urban environment.

• ggluvbug1
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    I took up biking whe I wasn't able to run because of my knees. I still commute to work because it's a fun and efficient way of getting some extra exercise in. Have you tried boxing for cardio? It was another one of my options when I was injured and is lots of fun. You can use a bag or if you've got a partner get them to hold the pads for you.

Not sure why you hate strength training but give it a good chance. Have you ever tried circuit training using weights and body weight. Not pure strength training really but could be a good option for you. You'll be able to get an awesome workout and avoid exercises that might be harder on the knees

I haven't done boxing. It may be a good stress reliever, if nothing else.
    I don't know why I don't like strength training except to say it is boring for me. Reps are just no fun. I have done the circuit at the gym when I had access before, and I could do something like that again. I guess I would need to put something together here at the house.
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Id ask the physio about using a Concept rower for rehab. Theres a whole indoor rowing sport and Concept lets you link up and race against other people. From what ive read its better than a bike because its not weight bearing and also when you are using pressure its on both knees and not alternating like on a bike.
    I am not in PT anymore. I did it for 6 weeks, and I can't afford the copays anymore. I will look into it though.

• ggluvbug1
    Options
    This is the bike I will be getting:
    http://www.electrabike.com/bikes/townie/original-7d?g=ladies
    It was the most comfortable of the ones I tried. For my terrain (flat paved roads), the man at the bike shop said it is what I would need.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Swimming or pool exercises. Will aqua jogging hurt your knees too? A lot of people use it as a recovery method when they can't run due to injury.
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    Swimming or pool exercises. Will aqua jogging hurt your knees too? A lot of people use it as a recovery method when they can't run due to injury.
    I mentioned in the original post that I don't have access to a community pool. I am in a very rural area, so our resources are pretty limited. :(
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I bought a new bike last summer and have really loved riding it. I broke my leg a couple of months ago and am anxious to get back on again. It's sitting sadly in a corner of my apartment. There are good bike communities on Facebook. I used to run and stopped when I fell a few times, but the bike is even more fun, plus I can use it for transportation so my workouts can be practical as well as exercise, which is better than running was. Also, I was saving a lot of money on transportation.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hi there, sorry to hear about your meniscus! You have my fullest sympathies. I tore mine after a ski injury in 2011 but the doc decided against surgery. I am a runner, training for a marathon right now, or more precisely until I got an overuse injury eight weeks ago. For now it is elliptical and spin biking. I am lucky as I have a home gym so working out is not difficult for me.

I had a look at your bike. I think you need to decide how seriously you want to get into biking. Should you really get into biking, you might outgrow this bike rather quickly. Not sure it is the right one for long distance cycling?

Anyhow, to be on the safe side I would check with the doc whether he finds cycling suitable. I don't know how much you can invest, but over time you might be able to build a little home gym? I find body elastic bands very good for rehab, dumbbells for free weight training and perhaps an indoor spin bike for cardio.

Best of luck with your recovery!
    Stef.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Boxing is awesome cardio and you can control the type of knee stuff you do. It's worth getting a few technique lessons and can box against one of those home units on your own time, your husband might love it also.
  • ggluvbug1
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    Hi there, sorry to hear about your meniscus! You have my fullest sympathies. I tore mine after a ski injury in 2011 but the doc decided against surgery. I am a runner, training for a marathon right now, or more precisely until I got an overuse injury eight weeks ago. For now it is elliptical and spin biking. I am lucky as I have a home gym so working out is not difficult for me.

I had a look at your bike. I think you need to decide how seriously you want to get into biking. Should you really get into biking, you might outgrow this bike rather quickly. Not sure it is the right one for long distance cycling?

Anyhow, to be on the safe side I would check with the doc whether he finds cycling suitable. I don't know how much you can invest, but over time you might be able to build a little home gym? I find body elastic bands very good for rehab, dumbbells for free weight training and perhaps an indoor spin bike for cardio.

Best of luck with your recovery!
    Stef.

The doc did say biking was a good alternative. I was going to try to go back to running until he said no...trying biking instead.

The biggest reason I picked this bike was the comfort factor. I can sit up on it more, and the pedal design was really comfortable. I don't see myself really doing races on a bike, but who knows! I figure I could always sell this one if I decide I need a different type.

I did think about getting a home gym machine too. That may be next on the list of things to get. I think I need to get some more dumbells. I have some bands, a couple of 5 and 10 pound free weights, and a 25 pound weight.